Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2019, 19:42   #31
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit(New).

I think the problem with the 30th June extension is what will our politicians, devoid of ideas for two years, come up with in the 'final' three months?

The EU have given us two options (and the ECJ a further one). Britain needs to sort out what type of Brexit it wants and select it, allowing everyone else in the EU to get on with it. The persistent arguments over "what type of Brexit" have to be resolved in some way.
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2019, 20:14   #32
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’m sticking my neck out here but on the basis of the information we now have I think we’re heading either for a 30 June extension or No Deal.

The EU will do itself no favours by agreeing a long extension and won’t do us any either. I think they will conclude its time to lance the boil, and I have a sneaking suspicion that May will actually thank them for it.
I have no idea. One thing I have heard is the EU will agree a max 2-year extension but one in which we can leave at any time once an agreement is secured, subject to not vetoing anything and participating in EU elections if we're still in.

I think you're right though that if there is no sign of anything being different then they will probably pull the plug. Although thinking about it a long extension will change the dynamic since May would not survive that and nor, imo, would Parliament so an election would be very likely.
Old 19-03-2019, 20:18   #33
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

How does a 2 year extension and leaving with no deal compare with the Malthouse proposal?
Old 19-03-2019, 20:19   #34
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I think the problem with the 30th June extension is what will our politicians, devoid of ideas for two years, come up with in the 'final' three months?

The EU have given us two options (and the ECJ a further one). Britain needs to sort out what type of Brexit it wants and select it, allowing everyone else in the EU to get on with it. The persistent arguments over "what type of Brexit" have to be resolved in some way.
The same problem exists with the long extension. May doesn’t like Brexit but I think she correctly calculates that it would be electoral suicide not to deliver it. She isn’t about to propose a second referendum or a solution that looks like EEA membership.

“No Brexit” is a bluff to get the ERG on side. I think it’s either her deal or no deal. The problem for her is I think the ERG are willing to call her bluff because they also think it’s her deal or no deal, and they want to bring about the latter.

All these machinations aside, I think the EU27 are likely to end the uncertainty for us by refusing a long extension.
Old 19-03-2019, 20:34   #35
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’m sticking my neck out here but on the basis of the information we now have I think we’re heading either for a 30 June extension or No Deal.

The EU will do itself no favours by agreeing a long extension and won’t do us any either. I think they will conclude its time to lance the boil, and I have a sneaking suspicion that May will actually thank them for it.
It'll probably be a 3 month extension and a no deal. They just cannot agree on anything and three months won't change that.

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:

Easier said than done, I think, jfman. There's no majority for any course of action as things stand. They should just let no deal happen automatically and start negotiations on the trade deal. Maybe the EU will agree to a protection period to allow trade to continue on the present basis, which will be of benefit to both sides. But I wouldn't stake my life on it.
Old 19-03-2019, 20:35   #36
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It'll probably be a 3 month extension and a no deal. They just cannot agree on anything and three months won't change that.
Thought you were a TM fanboy OB ? Have faith, I'm sure she's got it all under control, it's all a cunning plan I should think
Old 19-03-2019, 20:39   #37
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Thought you were a TM fanboy OB ? Have faith, I'm sure she's got it all under control, it's all a cunning plan I should think
Unfortunately, it’s one of Baldrick’s cunning plans...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 19-03-2019, 20:42   #38
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
My criticism is of the MPs who are standing in the way of delivering the result of the referendum and failing to deliver the manifestos they signed up to. I think Theresa May is the only grown up in the House.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Unfortunately, it’s one of Baldrick’s cunning plans...
For all the criticism of Theresa May on these forums, I'd love to hear any cunning plan that would enable the government to deliver the result of the manifesto.

Personally, I'd just let 29 March happen. They had their chance.
Old 19-03-2019, 20:50   #39
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Easier said than done, I think, jfman. There's no majority for any course of action as things stand. They should just let no deal happen automatically and start negotiations on the trade deal. Maybe the EU will agree to a protection period to allow trade to continue on the present basis, which will be of benefit to both sides. But I wouldn't stake my life on it.
I agree it’s easier said than done, but something has to give at some point and the uncertainty isn’t doing anyone any good.

No deal will be catastrophic, with illegal tariffs and no leverage in any future negotiations with anyone.

I’m not convinced letting no deal happen because of ineptitude, and essentially sabotage by the ERG, is a price the country should pay. Members of the ERG are on record saying it could be 50 years before we see the economic benefit.
Old 19-03-2019, 21:23   #40
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
I agree it’s easier said than done, but something has to give at some point and the uncertainty isn’t doing anyone any good.

No deal will be catastrophic, with illegal tariffs and no leverage in any future negotiations with anyone.

I’m not convinced letting no deal happen because of ineptitude, and essentially sabotage by the ERG, is a price the country should pay. Members of the ERG are on record saying it could be 50 years before we see the economic benefit.
Would love to know what the Leave side are meant to have done to give a "no deal", that the Remain side haven't done and more. Both Leave and Remain voted against the Withdrawal Agreement(ie under the EUs thumb).
Old 19-03-2019, 21:27   #41
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Re: Brexit (New).

As a separate post- the timescale for changing “exit day” and confirmation that failure to do so would leave the UK in breach of international treaty obligations as an EU member state if the Government extends and Parliament doesn’t.

https://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/bl...ory-instrument

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Would love to know what the Leave side are meant to have done to give a "no deal", that the Remain side haven't done and more. Both Leave and Remain voted against the Withdrawal Agreement(ie under the EUs thumb).
The ERG and DUP voted against the deal. That means they in effect voted for no deal. We know remainers want to remain, but the fact is the May deal would have passed last week with ERG and DUP backing.

They didn’t back it because they don’t want any deal.
Old 19-03-2019, 21:46   #42
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
As a separate post- the timescale for changing “exit day” and confirmation that failure to do so would leave the UK in breach of international treaty obligations as an EU member state if the Government extends and Parliament doesn’t.

https://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/bl...ory-instrument

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

The ERG and DUP voted against the deal. That means they in effect voted for no deal. We know remainers want to remain, but the fact is the May deal would have passed last week with ERG and DUP backing.

They didn’t back it because they don’t want any deal.
And that's the only thing they've done? Remain supporters ALSO voted against it in order to try(for the umpteenth time) and force a Remain situation.
Old 19-03-2019, 21:49   #43
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
And that's the only thing they've done? Remain supporters ALSO voted against it in order to try(for the umpteenth time) and force a Remain situation.
The opposition parties will always play politics. The Government should be able to trust it’s own party members to work towards a consensus. Even where it means compromise.

That’s how the game works week in week out. Why would Brexit be any different?

Tory MPs plus confidence and supply partners plus Labour leavers = majority.

Remainers are under no obligation to deliver Brexit. Nor should they be. On no other matter would such a ludicrous situation apply.

Last edited by jfman; 19-03-2019 at 21:56.
Old 19-03-2019, 22:05   #44
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The opposition parties will always play politics. The Government should be able to trust it’s own party members to work towards a consensus. Even where it means compromise.

That’s how the game works week in week out. Why would Brexit be any different?

Tory MPs plus confidence and supply partners plus Labour leavers = majority.

Remainers are under no obligation to deliver Brexit. Nor should they be. On no other matter would such a ludicrous situation apply.
So that's the sum total of Leave have done? So how are they supposed to have blocked an orderly Brexit, when the votes were so recent?

Are you saying that Labour etc are simply playing politics and putting the country at great risk, which you claim the Leave side are doing?
Old 19-03-2019, 22:08   #45
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
So that's the sum total of Leave have done? So how are they supposed to have blocked an orderly Brexit, when the votes were so recent?

Are you saying that Labour etc are simply playing politics and putting the country at great risk, which you claim the Leave side are doing?
The country isn’t at risk because oppositions oppose Governments. Governments put countries at risk by not governing responsibly.

Leave MPs cost Theresa May her deal. The fact it could have been voted on three times with three drastically different results shows who is playing games. It’s either a good deal or a bad deal. There’s no unicorn.
Closed Thread