Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fifa tells referee to call off England game if players wear poppies

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Fifa tells referee to call off England game if players wear poppies

Old 09-11-2011, 18:20   #31
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Fifa tells referee to call off England game if players wear poppies

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16106626

Quote:
Fifa has agreed that the England team can wear a poppy on their black armbands during Saturday's match with Spain, the Football Association has confirmed.
so once again cameron can look like a super hero .It reminds of a Yes Minister episode where Jim Hacker is trying to build up his public opinion so takes on a challenge with the Common Market over sausages ,something equally as meaningless
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2011, 18:26   #32
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16106626

so once again cameron can look like a super hero .It reminds of a Yes Minister episode where Jim Hacker is trying to build up his public opinion so takes on a challenge with the Common Market over sausages ,something equally as meaningless
It does seem that a Swiss person has to do the Neutral thing
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 18:30   #33
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
I think the sanctimonious outrage that occurs when a public person does not wear a poppy, or when an international sporting body refuses to bend the rules to allow poppies to be worn in an event that is totally unrelated to the poppy appeal amounts to a form of bullying.
Well give me some credit because that's not what I'm saying..The choice is yours and everyone else's not to wear one.My beef is in being told that I can't wear one or that others who want to wear one can't and the excuse given that it's political.It's only political if you make it so.
Old 09-11-2011, 18:34   #34
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well give me some credit because that's not what I'm saying..The choice is yours and everyone else's not to wear one.My beef is in being told that I can't wear one or that others who want to wear one can't and the excuse given that it's political.It's only political if you make it so.

So why do you support forcing the England players to wear one if it's a matter of choice?
Old 09-11-2011, 18:34   #35
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
No, I never said you said that, nor did I mean to imply it. It's absolutely fine by if it's on a voluntary basis, but in reality it isn't always. I also think that, to the extent that it's a measure of support for our troops (as said, it means different things to different people), it is a political symbol, and FIFA are right in the ban (until they approved this new mealy-mouthed compromise).
Old 09-11-2011, 18:45   #36
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
So why do you support forcing the England players to wear one if it's a matter of choice?
To be honest if it was permitted and certain players didn't wear it, that player would be vilified for the rest of his career. Not worth it.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 18:50   #37
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
To be honest if it was permitted and certain players didn't wear it, that player would be vilified for the rest of his career. Not worth it.
This is it. It's such a mixed symbol of respect for the fallen and support for troops, that people get villified for not showing the first and end up doing the second when they may have misgivings about it.
Old 09-11-2011, 18:52   #38
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
That is true ,but having the poppy embroiderd or transfered onto the shirt is forcing the player to wear a poppy thus removing the freedom a poppy is suppose to represent to some
Old 09-11-2011, 19:55   #39
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

ALL players should wear the famous poppy, my only gripe with the England squad is that when the anthem is playing - how players will be singing it - not very many.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 20:02   #40
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Anyway I reckon that if they got a cut of the Poppy Appeal funds Fifa would fall over backwards to allow the wearing of poppies..
Old 09-11-2011, 20:07   #41
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
ALL players should wear the famous poppy, my only gripe with the England squad is that when the anthem is playing - how players will be singing it - not very many.
The fallen fought for the right to choose, not the right to be made to wear something - get real, Arthur.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 20:18   #42
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The fallen fought for the right to choose, not the right to be made to wear something - get real, Arthur.
Too right.....
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 20:22   #43
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Indeed

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote