Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Briton Dan Wheldon dies in IndyCar race in Las Vegas

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Briton Dan Wheldon dies in IndyCar race in Las Vegas

Old 17-10-2011, 06:48   #1
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Briton Dan Wheldon dies in IndyCar race in Las Vegas

British driver Dan Wheldon has died following a massive accident at the Las Vegas Indy 300. Buckinghamshire-born Wheldon, 33, was one of 15 drivers involved in a crash at the second corner on lap 13 of the series' season-ending race.
Wheldon, who began IndyCar racing in 2002, was series champion in 2005 and won the Indy 500 in 2005 and 2011.

How very sad to hear this news.

RIP Dan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/15330202.stm
Old 17-10-2011, 09:31   #2
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Briton Dan Wheldon dies in IndyCar race in Las Vegas

Horrific crash, amazed there was only one fatality.

RIP
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 09:33   #3
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Services: XXL customer with movies and sport +HD And now TiVo.
Kingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Horrific crash, amazed there was only one fatality.

RIP
Agreed

Kingofthedead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 10:44   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I don't follow IndyCar but it seems absurdly dangerous from the little I have learned thus far. They go really fast, as you would do Formula 1, but all the turns are wide and gradual allowing the drivers to maintain that speed throughout the race. The side of the track has a gating and barrier so there is no where to 'run off' in the event you go too wide, allowing a car to crash into the barrier and then, worse, remain on the track in the path of others.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 10:54   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I don't follow IndyCar but it seems absurdly dangerous from the little I have learned thus far. They go really fast, as you would do Formula 1, but all the turns are wide and gradual allowing the drivers to maintain that speed throughout the race. The side of the track has a gating and barrier so there is no where to 'run off' in the event you go too wide, allowing a car to crash into the barrier and then, worse, remain on the track in the path of others.
l watch it sometimes and they go much faster in IndyCar then they do in Formula 1 and while also in F1 there are quite a lot of turns and corners which will slow their speed down as they do their laps but in IndyCar they go faster and maintain that speed and while emotions are always high after a tragedy l feel they will have to be seen to do something in regards to safety and perhaps limiting the speed they go.
Old 17-10-2011, 13:56   #6
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

A terrible crash resulting in a sad loss

RIP Dan Wheldon.

I really don't get open wheeled Oval Racing. It's desperately boring to watch (probably to drive?) and horrifically dangerous when things go wrong.

IMO leave the Ovals for the slower Stock cars which with full integral roll cages are inherently a bit safer.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 14:16   #7
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

I agree Mike but the guys doing it wont. There is skilled required to do it although pointless and boring as you say.

RIP
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 14:58   #8
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

R.I.P

Wasn't just the speed that was an issue here it was the stupid amount of cars allowed to race that day and the poor amount of space on track.

Absolute joke when you think a man's life was lost when it could have been so much different with fewer cars.
Old 17-10-2011, 15:11   #9
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Again. I think they need space for people that misjudge a corner not to hit the barriers at 200mph, it's rare in formula 1 to have a closed off corner.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 16:51   #10
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

RIP Dan, My condolence's go out to His family

There is also this as well?

Jody Scheckter wants son to quit IndyCar after Dan Wheldon's death.

Quote:
Former Formula 1 world champion Jody Scheckter wants his son to quit IndyCar racing following the death of Briton Dan Wheldon.

Scheckter was a spectator at Sunday's Las Vegas Indy 300 and had an anxious wait before discovering son Tomas had escaped unharmed from the 15-car crash.

"I've wanted him to give up for a while," said Scheckter.

"Hopefully this will knock some sense into him and realise there is more to life. It really isn't worth it."
Quote:
Former Formula 1 and IndyCar driver Mark Blundell said the Las Vegas track was unsuitable for cars of the power and speed used in Indy 300.

"It was inevitable in many ways," the Briton said of Sunday's accident. "It was a recipe for disaster. These type of cars shouldn't be on these type of circuits.

"Fifteen cars wiped out - 40% of the grid - and we've had a fatality. That's not acceptable."
Quote:
Scottish IndyCar driver Dario Franchitti, who clinched his fourth IndyCar series title after the cancelled event, also had concerns about the race.

"I could see within five laps people were starting to do crazy stuff," he said.

"I love hard racing but that to me is not really what it's about, one small mistake from somebody.

"Right now I'm numb and speechless. One minute you're joking around and the next he's gone.

"He was six years old when I first met him. He was this little kid and the next thing you know he was my team-mate.

"We put so much pressure on ourselves to win races and championships and today it doesn't matter."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/15335428.stm
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 19:36   #11
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

RIP Dan Wheldon.

When it happen on Sunday night I started to think about the song called ''Tell Laura I love her.''
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote