Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 30-05-2018, 17:48   #916
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well we are pretty happy with it but its all in the eye of the beholder as they say..
This is so true as of late with so much - "if it ain't broke..."

This is not just in regards to Sky but before they introduced their God awful automated system it was at least possible to call them up from time to time without it taking 4 minutes to get through their automated garbage but software in general is an example.

Instead of a simple upgrade to 4K Sky had to come up with this Fluid idea stuff, a whole new dish etc etc.

They couldn't just implement the KISS rule...no they had to over complicate it all and mess everything up.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
This is another example of where UKTV used to serve a good purpose, then they toyed about with it all, messed up what worked and is now a mess.

If ITV and the BBC did buy out, it might well work as so many of what is on GOLD etc these days are old run offs from Beeb days...what they are doing now does not work and something different may revive it.

Otherwise competing with Netflix will be pointless long term, Netflix will have blown them out of the water by then.
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2018, 17:56   #917
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
I got a few 4K tvs about 4 years ago now (well 2 of them like 3 years ago, hubby got one) and the idea was that Sky would add in a 4K box but Q sounds like a disaster and the few updates that they have done on the old HD boxes suck...(there is now such a slow clunky interface, search has issues etc).

The amount of 4K content is abysmal, too. UK TV (not that specific set of networks but in general) really is in a bad place these days and patience is going to have to be the key right now. The wait may be long though - for now the likes of streaming services seem to be the only way to go.
I've said it before - UHD takes up far too much recording space. HD is bad enough - I have to spread these recordings over three boxes now as opposed to the 1TB Tivo we had before, on which I recorded most programmes in SD. I wouldn't even think of recording UHD. For this reason, I think that most UHD is likely to be streamed or on demand, unless of course we can 'record' to the cloud. If it were to be otherwise, I am sure our UHD-ready V6 boxes would have been manufactured with a bigger hard drive.

As far as the Sky Q is concerned, both my daughters have this, and to be honest, it is an improvement on the Sky HD boxes. I just prefer the V6 and the way it works, and I like the fact that I can double the number of recordings with the link to my upstairs box, which I can view also from the lounge.

I must say that I don't like how you have to download on demand programmes onto your hard drive with Sky's system. With Virgin you can either go straight into your selected programme or you can bookmark it so that it appears in 'My Shows' but without taking up valuable recording space.

As for the lack of UHD, tell me about it. However, I think that 2018 is set to be the year when this starts to change, at least on VM.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Yep - any content from CatchUp or OnDemand (including BBC iPlayer) has to be downloaded to view.

Youtube streams so it can be done.
BBC i-Player streams too on Virgin Media.
Old 30-05-2018, 18:06   #918
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I've said it before - UHD takes up far too much recording space. HD is bad enough - I have to spread these recordings over three boxes now as opposed to the 1TB Tivo we had before, on which I recorded most programmes in SD. I wouldn't even think of recording UHD. For this reason, I think that most UHD is likely to be streamed or on demand, unless of course we can 'record' to the cloud. If it were to be otherwise, I am sure our UHD-ready V6 boxes would have been manufactured with a bigger hard drive.
Yeah they do take up more space but the problem that I have is that the storage size for boxes doesn't increase with UHD / 4K boxes. So, for Sky I have a 2TB and 1.5 TB box - both HD and from what I understand it is the same for Q - 2 and 1.5 for the mini. It would be nice to have had Q offer more space if size of programming was an issue.

Quote:
As far as the Sky Q is concerned, both my daughters have this, and to be honest, it is an improvement on the Sky HD boxes. I just prefer the V6 and the way it works, and I like the fact that I can double the number of recordings with the link to my upstairs box, which I can view also from the lounge.
The old Sky HD boxes are slightly more outdated, in that sense but the functionality cannot be questioned - it is maybe not as efficient as newer models but it doesn't break down and the old planner / search and cinema system was nowhere near as clunky as a 4K system UI / internal settings superimposed onto an HD box.

Even though I don't have as much experience with Virgin they do seem to both have some gimmicks as of late which is frustrating for their insistence of fluidity / ownership of boxes etc. What worked was something both companies have messed with some, and there is only so much you can do for now. It does not mean that you are sitting on your laurels if you don't come up with new idea every single year and some of these overhauls are useless.

Quote:
I must say that I don't like how you have to download on demand programmes onto your hard drive with Sky's system. With Virgin you can either go straight into your selected programme or you can bookmark it so that it appears in 'My Shows' but without taking up valuable recording space.
Virgin have a far better system on that one in general due to the fact that you can record anything from like the previous week off the planner, too. I have to admit that I am irked by Sky's system of on demand, too - not just that it downloads and space becomes an issue too but you have to watch it out in a certain time before it goes so you are constantly micro managing your box altogether.

Quote:
As for the lack of UHD, tell me about it. However, I think that 2018 is set to be the year when this starts to change, at least on VM.
Yeah now that both companies have started selling boxes they better produce the content or customers will be left irate...especially those who had to pay for installations.

Not sure if Sky even has any native content of 4K - wouldn't effect us anyway as we still have the HD boxes.
Old 30-05-2018, 19:58   #919
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Broadcastnow is reporting that Virgin media UK are looking into having an EPG relaunch with one idea being having all the +1 (like ITV +1 and Quest +1) having their own dedicated section. (cant post link do to broadcastnow paywall)
I think it’s badly needed like if you want to only have HD. if available it hides SD as not needed and defo +1 in there own section or hidden if not wanted is a great idea
Old 30-05-2018, 20:52   #920
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Yeah they do take up more space but the problem that I have is that the storage size for boxes doesn't increase with UHD / 4K boxes. So, for Sky I have a 2TB and 1.5 TB box - both HD and from what I understand it is the same for Q - 2 and 1.5 for the mini. It would be nice to have had Q offer more space if size of programming was an issue.

The old Sky HD boxes are slightly more outdated, in that sense but the functionality cannot be questioned - it is maybe not as efficient as newer models but it doesn't break down and the old planner / search and cinema system was nowhere near as clunky as a 4K system UI / internal settings superimposed onto an HD box.

Even though I don't have as much experience with Virgin they do seem to both have some gimmicks as of late which is frustrating for their insistence of fluidity / ownership of boxes etc. What worked was something both companies have messed with some, and there is only so much you can do for now. It does not mean that you are sitting on your laurels if you don't come up with new idea every single year and some of these overhauls are useless.

Virgin have a far better system on that one in general due to the fact that you can record anything from like the previous week off the planner, too. I have to admit that I am irked by Sky's system of on demand, too - not just that it downloads and space becomes an issue too but you have to watch it out in a certain time before it goes so you are constantly micro managing your box altogether.

Yeah now that both companies have started selling boxes they better produce the content or customers will be left irate...especially those who had to pay for installations.

Not sure if Sky even has any native content of 4K - wouldn't effect us anyway as we still have the HD boxes.
The skyq boxes are 2Tb (required for UHD) or 1Tb - unless the latter has changed. The mini (is secondary boxes) has no recording capability - all recordings are held on the 1 main box.
Old 31-05-2018, 00:55   #921
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

So what are the secondary boxes even for then...just to use on a separate TV? This is ridiculous, they want you to get a new box, pay for install (and not get to keep the box / lose all your other recordings on your old set up) and all for the sake of no 4K content to begin with and boxes that can't record but cost you an extra 10 bucks a month to use? Hope somebody has a spare handful of TVs, too.

What a useless waste.
Old 31-05-2018, 04:46   #922
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

World Cup 2018: BBC iPlayer to stream matches in 4K HDR - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44308154
Old 31-05-2018, 05:23   #923
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It could be a lottery for viewers- it says: It will limit the number of screens with access, and will do so on a first-come first-served basis.

Each will be limited to "tens of thousands of people" - the exact number of iPlayer-equipped devices has not been specified in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
World Cup 2018: BBC iPlayer to stream matches in 4K HDR - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44308154
Old 31-05-2018, 06:23   #924
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

That certainly does sound like a lottery with all likelihood your chances of winning are not that good...
Old 31-05-2018, 10:44   #925
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
UHD takes up far too much recording space.... I wouldn't even think of recording UHD
The UHD broadcasts now are about the same bandwidth as BBC HD was when it first launched. Yet you recorded that on your 160GB V+. You could record six times as much UHD on your V6.

And they are less than half the bandwidth of each analogue channel. I bet you used to record those too.
Old 31-05-2018, 11:54   #926
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The UHD broadcasts now are about the same bandwidth as BBC HD was when it first launched. Yet you recorded that on your 160GB V+. You could record six times as much UHD on your V6.

And they are less than half the bandwidth of each analogue channel. I bet you used to record those too.
Thank you, spiderplant, that's news to me. If UHD takes up about the same space as HD, I shall be very happy!
Old 31-05-2018, 12:47   #927
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thank you, spiderplant, that's news to me. If UHD takes up about the same space as HD, I shall be very happy!
It takes more than HD does now, but not more than HD did 10 years ago. Such is the progress in compression technology.
Old 31-05-2018, 13:07   #928
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Broadcastnow is reporting that Virgin media UK are looking into having an EPG relaunch with one idea being having all the +1 (like ITV +1 and Quest +1) having their own dedicated section. (cant post link do to broadcastnow paywall)
Anyone with a subscription able to share any more detail?

Link is: https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broad...129711.article
Old 31-05-2018, 15:25   #929
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Anyone with a subscription able to share any more detail?

Link is: https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broad...129711.article
I found these articles regarding the shake-up

http://www.cityam.com/265107/virgin-...ng-its-next-tv

https://advanced-television.com/2017...top-epg-slots/
Old 31-05-2018, 16:51   #930
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
So what are the secondary boxes even for then...just to use on a separate TV? This is ridiculous, they want you to get a new box, pay for install (and not get to keep the box / lose all your other recordings on your old set up) and all for the sake of no 4K content to begin with and boxes that can't record but cost you an extra 10 bucks a month to use? Hope somebody has a spare handful of TVs, too.

What a useless waste.

My post clearly states it is referring to SkyQ not virgin V6
Closed Thread