Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 10-11-2020, 12:56   #1396
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I’m still not convinced that the new UI will come to our existing V6s. It will be a pity if not.
Existing customers don’t currently have an easy upgrade option, although there is an exception. Existing customers who take the Ultimate Oomph bundle, or existing customers who upgrade to Ultimate Oomph, will also be able to get Virgin TV 360 later this year and “at no additional cost.”
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...m-and-box.html

Last edited by fox35; 10-11-2020 at 13:02.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2020, 13:05   #1397
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Yes, and this article suggests we can have a second STB or a mini-box, which is good news for me.

https://advanced-television.com/2020...rtainment-era/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:02   #1398
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

They have officially announced it on Twitter

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaCorp/...064191489?s=20

Full details here

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...ing-experience

I note it says Ultimate Ooomph £79.99 a month.

That will ruffle a few feathers.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:14   #1399
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post

Full details here

If it’s available to everyone for that price (including for those who had the lower price increased after 12 months), there shouldn’t be any feathers to ruffle, unless those in the middle of a contract are not allowed to transfer to this box without penalty).
Old 10-11-2020, 14:16   #1400
Frazz
cf.addict

Services: 2 x tivo TV XL with movie and sport 500Mb broadband phone talk anytime Unlimited mobile phone sim
Frazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
Just read this...
"Virgin says TV 360 will be available from the end of this year for new customers and existing users who are happy to sign up to a new contract. It won't cost any extra than the current V6 service but you will need Virgin's broadband for TV 360 to work."
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...se-price-Sky-Q

Probably wouldn't be suitable for me unless I can get 2 of the boxes with the hard drive as we have a TiVo in the living room and my son has one in his bedroom.

We record different things so would need the ability to record to our own set top boxes
Frazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:18   #1401
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

Full details here

Quote:
The Ultimate Oomph Bundle offers Virgin Media’s premium TV package, including 250 channels such as all Sky Cinema, Sky Sports and BT Sport channels, two TV set top boxes, ultrafast M500 Fibre broadband, landline and an unlimited mobile SIM currently available for £79.99 per month. Virgin Media has also just announced a speed boost to 600Mbps for existing Ultimate Oomph customers.
Even if that's a special in-contract price, can't see how they can justify it with Sky cinema and Sports included. Paying Sky for those can't leave much left over.
Quote:
£77.99 a month
for 18 months
then £139 a month
£35 setup fee applies*
(18 month contract applies)
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:19   #1402
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

It's £77.99 at the moment so actually a small change to the offer price over the £18 months

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bun...e-oomph-bundle

Quote:
£77.99 a month for 18 months
then £139 a month. 18 month contract. £35 setup fee.
Old 10-11-2020, 14:22   #1403
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazz View Post
Probably wouldn't be suitable for me unless I can get 2 of the boxes with the hard drive as we have a TiVo in the living room and my son has one in his bedroom.

We record different things so would need the ability to record to our own set top boxes
Yes, I would imagine many people would want two recordable boxes. I hope they permit that.
Old 10-11-2020, 15:29   #1404
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Unless I'm missing something obvious (I admit this is quite possible) I am struggling to see the advantage of the 360 setup over my two existing V6 boxes.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 15:39   #1405
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Unless I'm missing something obvious (I admit this is quite possible) I am struggling to see the advantage of the 360 setup over my two existing V6 boxes.
l agree as apart from a few new bells and whistles l cannot say the 360 excites me.
Old 10-11-2020, 15:41   #1406
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
To my mind, it’s just the more modern user interface and voice controls.

The mini-boxes will be welcomed by some, but they are not for me unless the main box is a 2Tb. I struggle to contain the number of recordings on two boxes as it is, and I do stream what I can if the stream is likely to be available for a decent period.

In the longer term, perhaps there will be updates for the Horizon box that could not be made available for the V6s due to the technology.
Old 10-11-2020, 19:46   #1407
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, and this article suggests we can have a second STB or a mini-box, which is good news for me.

https://advanced-television.com/2020...rtainment-era/
"Customers can record six programmes while watching a seventh". That is a main & mini box setup, not two main boxes. The TV GO control has no box selection option as there is with TV Control, which would also suggest no option for two main boxes.

"New Mini box – recordings only need to be made once and can be shared across multiple set top boxes which allows for seamless Ultra-HD multi-room viewing throughout the home."

Yet another suggestion it is just one main box.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 20:25   #1408
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
"Customers can record six programmes while watching a seventh". That is a main & mini box setup, not two main boxes. The TV GO control has no box selection option as there is with TV Control, which would also suggest no option for two main boxes.

"New Mini box – recordings only need to be made once and can be shared across multiple set top boxes which allows for seamless Ultra-HD multi-room viewing throughout the home."

Yet another suggestion it is just one main box.
Yes, that’s certainly how it works. But my question is whether they would permit the installation of two recorder boxes. If they do, that is one major disadvantage resolved.

However, there are others....
Old 10-11-2020, 20:50   #1409
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l agree as apart from a few new bells and whistles l cannot say the 360 excites me.

Have vm got horror bites yet btw? It is coming to vm boxes, skyq doesn't have it btw yet.
Also discovery+ won't be on vm at launch it will be on SKYQ and free to SKYQ customers for 12 months it launches this month.

Sorry to quote your post btw Den lol.
Old 10-11-2020, 20:59   #1410
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Have vm got horror bites yet btw? It is coming to vm boxes, skyq doesn't have it btw yet.
Also discovery+ won't be on vm at launch it will be on SKYQ and free to SKYQ customers for 12 months it launches this month.

Sorry to quote your post btw Den lol.
Not yet. But where the hell is Disney+?

Apple+ would also be nice, but no sign of that yet either.