Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

Old 29-06-2012, 15:15   #211
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Hijack customers browser search options

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Why?

Innocent as I'm sure it is, I object to VM changing my PC settings without informing me first and giving me the option. The default should be OFF
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2012, 15:36   #212
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Innocent as I'm sure it is, I object to VM changing my PC settings without informing me first and giving me the option. The default should be OFF
Technically they aren't going anywhere near your PC - it's all on Virgin's end
Old 29-06-2012, 16:53   #213
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
And as a point of principle it's fair enough, but it's not really doing any harm is it?

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Technically they aren't going anywhere near your PC - it's all on Virgin's end
Another, very relevant, point
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 22:33   #214
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
No setting are altered on your pc if you use google for instance this does not happen as it is set only on the Virgin Media home page.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 07:52   #215
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
I was unaware of this until the thread was reopened. I checked and it seems that I am opted out. How often should one check? Presumably I'll be redirected to an ad laden page if it changes?
It's modem dependant, if you change modem, you are opted back in, so when you try a URL that should return NXDOMAIN, you'll be prompted with the VM "did you mean this?" search page. HTH
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 08:40   #216
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Which, surely, is actually more helpful? And, AFAIK, Google do a similar thing with search terms
Old 30-06-2012, 08:58   #217
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I think people would like the option, rather than it being a default (if it is).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 09:10   #218
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I think people would like the option, rather than it being a default (if it is).

It's opt out not opt in as standard.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 11:12   #219
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I had it come up out of the blue when I tried to access my banks website recently. There was nothing wrong with the URL and it accessed correctly once I disabled VM's interferance.
Sorry but I just don't believe that.

Quote:
I'd rather see the raw server error...
If the URL was correct then there would have been no server error for VM's system to intercept.

Quote:
...than VM's assumption of what I'm trying to access as for me it's likely to me of more use.
So you'd rather not know what was wrong?
Old 30-06-2012, 11:59   #220
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I already pay vm for my broadband, why should they then be allowed to make money from my search redirects when I was initially not told it was turned on ??. So glad I now know how to turn off the hijacking? I have never agreed with any system that automaticaly opts you in where there is a financial gain

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 12:59   #221
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

I remember turning this off in the past, it now seems to have turned itself back on overnight.

This page claims you can turn it off by going to the advanced search settings page but all I get with that is a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable error.

Not impressed.
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 13:02   #222
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The options page is working for me on my VM broadband connectiopn
Old 30-06-2012, 13:38   #223
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I wish they'd concentrate on making the network run fast and reliable....
Erm... they are doing
Old 30-06-2012, 16:00   #224
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The options page is working for me on my VM broadband connectiopn
Not working in Hitchin at 15:50 30/6

ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:24   #225
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

@ferretuk, It's working here in Middlesbrough.

Is it still not working for you?
tdadyslexia is offline   Reply With Quote