Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ping stability issues.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connection Dropping

Old 18-01-2007, 16:28   #1
Mechanicus
Inactive

Mechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enough
Connection Dropping

Hello.

I started a thread in the IT Discussion forum, because I thought my problem was only to do with Azureus, but now I see it happens all the time.

Here is the other thread if you want to see how far I've gotten.

Basically, my connection keeps dropping. To get it back I have to disable and then re-enable the Ethernet connection (Called 'Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller').

Now, it seems to do it randomly - I could be downloading something via FireFox, or Flashget, or I could just be checking websites. It's even done it a couple of times whilst sitting there (Once, whilst I was typing out like I am now, the other when I was reading a forum - I went to go to the next page and noticed the connection was out).

I have not touched any settings, so they should all be on the defaults (I don't know if the ntl software changed anything). Is there any known methods to stops these dropouts, or maybe a way to not have them happen so often (I've had the connection about 2 1/2 days now and I've had to disable and re-enable the connection about 25 times)?

Edit:: I've noticed that when idle, the E/net light on the modem stays solid, but when the modem is working, it flickers along with the U/stream and D/stream lights. Is that normal?
Mechanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2007, 16:30   #2
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age
Re: Connection Dropping

What modem do you have?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 16:41   #3
Mechanicus
Inactive

Mechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enoughMechanicus will become famous soon enough

Oh yes, I forgot to mention - I have the Home 250 modem, 10mb connection, which really is 10mb through the day, but drops to about 4.5mb in the evenings.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Just thought I would mention that my connection has dropped 4 times since writing that last post.
Old 18-01-2007, 16:41   #4
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Not sure what the problem is, the 250 should work fine. Maybe a call to CS will help?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 16:47   #5
Mechanicus
Inactive

To be honest, I'm sick and tired of having to talk to those imbeciles. The first call I made I had to try and convince the person that I was telling the truth. If I can find a solution without having to use them I would prefer it.

By the way, since writing that last post I've had to re-enable another 3 times.
Old 18-01-2007, 16:55   #6
Heedyheed
Inactive

Heedyheed is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the drivers for the network adapter up to date?

Mike
Heedyheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 18:13   #7
Mechanicus
Inactive

As far as I know, yes. I never had this problem when I was on ADSL, using the same connection.

However, I tried something different this last time. Instead of just disabling the connection, I clicked on Repair. It went through the motions, and the connection was working again. Since then, it hasn't dropped (touch wood!). So until it does again I'll leave it well alone
Old 18-01-2007, 18:41   #8
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Repair just release/ renews the IP for the connection as far as I know. Maybe things have settled down now for your connection, wasn't it a new install?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 18:48   #9
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedyheed View Post
Are the drivers for the network adapter up to date?

Mike
I have to agree, if they are up to day then maybe try reinstalling them.
morrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 18:53   #10
Mechanicus
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Repair just release/ renews the IP for the connection as far as I know. Maybe things have settled down now for your connection, wasn't it a new install?
Yes, 3 days old.
Unfortunately it did it again whilst using Azureus (torrent), but I haven't had it whilst browsing sites like last time.
Old 18-01-2007, 19:37   #11
WWEfan69
Permanently Banned

Services: NTL Family package NTL Talk Unlimited 24 NTL "10mb" Broadband
WWEfan69 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also had this problem with the same network controller built into my motherboard, after numerous calls to India, they sent out a technician, but couldnt find a fault, later i find out its been an on-going problem with 2 of my friends, both either side of town, then it sorta "fixed" itself... strange!
WWEfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 22:56   #12
Lykeios
Inactive

Lykeios is an unknown quantity at this point

yup been having the same problem... today has been dreadful like 40+ drops in a 12 hour period... mines been going on for 2 months now and still not getting anything of any use from TS.

In fact the only thing they did which was helpful was sending an Engi round with a new modem which did a grand total of two things... F... and All...
Lykeios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 16:58   #13
Mechanicus
Inactive

It seems that if there are too many things downloading at once, it drops the connection.

I'm not talking about speed or size - There is a site I used to frequent most of the day - b3ta.com - which has lots of user-submitted pictures.
Now, on the ntl connection, when I try and view that, it usually makes my connection drop. Most of those pictures are under 75kb, but there can be up to 20 of them on the page at the same time.

So those of you who are having this problem, can you try going to http://b3ta.com/board and letting me know if your connection cuts. Those of you who don't have this problem... HELP!
If I cannot download from the US properly (200-300kb/s), and I cannot do much more than view 1 page at a time (unless it has a few pictures, in which case I can't even do that), then why the f**k am I paying £35/month?! Even my 56k connection could view b3ta, albeit slowly.
Old 19-01-2007, 17:06   #14
Lykeios
Inactive

Lykeios is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, not the same prob as I have. That page loaded fine, tho I probably shouldn't have scrolled down... nekkid bloke + piniata = Me needing mental bleach ...no disconnects. Plus the version I have is generally not much net activity like 5-10 k both up and down, and thats only when I'm streaming, just seems to disconnect.
Lykeios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2007, 17:08   #15
Mechanicus
Inactive

Did you try refreshing the page a couple of times?
It worked for me a few times but most of the time it causes a drop.