Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 18-01-2022, 10:12   #631
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: All those No.10 lockdown parties

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, you shouldn’t be surprised. If these wreckers didn’t keep adding new allegations every day, it would be finished this week.
You appear to be blaming the people reporting the fires, rather than the arsonists - perhaps if the people who set the rules & laws hadn’t kept breaking the rules and laws, there would have been nothing to report?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2022, 10:19   #632
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, you shouldn’t be surprised. If these wreckers didn’t keep adding new allegations every day, it would be finished this week.
Beggars belief that dom is now the go to guy for the truth.
Old 18-01-2022, 10:24   #633
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1994594.html

I don’t have a problem with Johnson commuting from Chequers to Downing Street during lockdown, as Mrs Johnson was in the "vulnerable" category (heavily pregnant), and was probably safer there, and Johnson was trying to deal with the COVID crisis - it’s just the bit at the end that raises doubts.

Quote:
The spokesman said there would have been staff at Chequers with the couple, and when asked if they had any non-work visitors he said: “Well, they were acting in accordance with the guidance and any subsequent legislation at all times. So beyond that, I don’t have any more to add.”
Why don’t they just say "No, we didn’t have any non-work visitors", rather than the phrase which dropped them in it before "The spokesman said there would have been staff at Chequers with the couple, and when asked if they had any non-work visitors he said: “Well, they were acting in accordance with the guidance and any subsequent legislation at all times."?.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 18-01-2022, 10:26   #634
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Keir Starmer is accused of flouting Covid rules banning political campaigners from meeting indoors during local ballots last year

Now it has emerged that the event may also have breached special guidelines published for the local election campaign.

This guidance said campaigners should not meet indoors and there should be no social use of committee rooms.

It also stated that work organising campaigns should be done virtually and should not take place in person.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mpaigning.html
Old 18-01-2022, 10:36   #635
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1994594.html

I don’t have a problem with Johnson commuting from Chequers to Downing Street during lockdown, as Mrs Johnson was in the "vulnerable" category (heavily pregnant), and was probably safer there, and Johnson was trying to deal with the COVID crisis - it’s just the bit at the end that raises doubts.

Why don’t they just say "No, we didn’t have any non-work visitors", rather than the phrase which dropped them in it before "The spokesman said there would have been staff at Chequers with the couple, and when asked if they had any non-work visitors he said: “Well, they were acting in accordance with the guidance and any subsequent legislation at all times."?.
I think you can also give some leeway to the Prime Minister to move between locations as well. The Chequers thing is a non-starter to me. Yeah if he had guests and another poxy party that's an issue obviously.
Old 18-01-2022, 10:40   #636
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Apologies arent enough , it was breaking the law for which others were prosecuted and fined for.
Either they are saying the law doesn't apply to everyone, or they need to start again with new bunch of muppets running the country.
Goes without saying they should take the punishment - at least what it would be if you or I had been doing it, as they are in a position of responsibility and need to set an example.

But I don't see what realistically they can do to put the matter right otherwise. They can't undo the parties.

Old 18-01-2022, 10:44   #637
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
Goes without saying they should take the punishment - at least what it would be if you or I had been doing it, as they are in a position of responsibility and need to set an example.

But I don't see what realistically they can do to put the matter right otherwise. They can't undo the parties.
There's lots they can do, resign, clear the convictions of those prosecuted , take some responsibility instead of lies and /retractions when found out ..
Old 18-01-2022, 10:50   #638
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Don't want to alarm anyone, but I hear there's a shortage of popcorn in supermarkets, as the country stocks up in readiness for tomorrow's PMQs!
Old 18-01-2022, 11:01   #639
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post

It would help to some extent if Boris, his PPS and all attendees reported themselves to the Police and let the law take its course. If the Police decide that the law was broken, these individuals would have to pay the prescribed penalty, maybe at a doubling rate for more than one attended party. That would put them on a par with public offenders. Sue Gray would be irrelevant to this if she found that only "guidance" was flouted.

It won't go away for the Guvmin if they flouted their own guidance; the public wouldn't see it favourably, never mind the flouting I reckon we've all done to some extent.

As to illegality, have a read of this: https://barristerblogger.com/2021/12...-street-party/

It's difficult to paste a useful quote due to the way the item is formatted. But really worth a read.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 18-01-2022, 11:27   #640
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

It would help to some extent if Boris, his PPS and all attendees reported themselves to the Police and let the law take its course. If the Police decide that the law was broken, these individuals would have to pay the prescribed penalty, maybe at a doubling rate for more than one attended party. That would put them on a par with public offenders. Sue Gray would be irrelevant to this if she found that only "guidance" was flouted.

It won't go away for the Guvmin if they flouted their own guidance; the public wouldn't see it favourably, never mind the flouting I reckon we've all done to some extent.

As to illegality, have a read of this: https://barristerblogger.com/2021/12...-street-party/

It's difficult to paste a useful quote due to the way the item is formatted. But really worth a read.

That article is from December and pre-dates the recent party allegations, in particular the 100-invite May 20 one. Is it still relevant?
Old 18-01-2022, 11:31   #641
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That article is from December and pre-dates the recent party allegations, in particular the 100-invite May 20 one. Is it still relevant?
The December party is still part of the Sue Gray investigation.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 18-01-2022, 11:55   #642
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Possibly for a different thread but, as there are more dead cats than a really bad vet coming from the Government, one issue hasn't reared its' head. Dmitry Grozoubinski a trade chap on Twitter pointed out;

Quote:
Interesting shift in British politics, or at least government's perception thereof.

An "Operation Red Meat" five months ago would have been full of performative provocations toward the EU, up to and including Article 16 invocation.

Now, not a thing.
That said, he followed up with;

Quote:
I appreciate I'm risking looking pretty silly when tomorrow they launch Trident at Brussels or invade Calais.
Not sure what has changed but I would have thought that keeping people like Steve Baker and Andrew Bridgen on side would be helpful right now...
Old 18-01-2022, 12:05   #643
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Possibly for a different thread but, as there are more dead cats than a really bad vet coming from the Government, one issue hasn't reared its' head. Dmitry Grozoubinski a trade chap on Twitter pointed out;

That said, he followed up with;

Not sure what has changed but I would have thought that keeping people like Steve Baker and Andrew Bridgen on side would be helpful right now...
Interesting point.
Old 18-01-2022, 12:09   #644
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Not exactly a strong defence of the PM from Sunak: https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1483407346906841088

Quote:
NEW: @RishiSunak on allegations PM lied about No 10 parties:
"I won't get into hypotheticals. The ministerial code is clear on these matters."

Reporter: Do you believe the PM?
Sunak: Of course I do... I'd refer you to his words.'

via broadcast pool
Old 18-01-2022, 12:36   #645
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Not exactly a strong defence of the PM from Sunak: https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1483407346906841088
I decided to look up the full context of ‘damn with faint praise’. It’s rather good.

Quote:
Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer,
And without sneering, teach the rest to sneer;
Willing to wound, and yet afraid to strike,
Just hint a fault, and hesitate dislike.
- Alexander Pope
Closed Thread