Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 02-12-2021, 16:40   #646
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Maybe OT but I can't find a thread for this - quick question.

I watched the Man City match last night on Amazon and it had the 'cinema feel' to the picture although of course, in HD. Flipped over to the Liverpool / Everton match after the coverage had finished and it was a 'normal' HD picture as in what you would expect from say Sky Sports.

I thought it maybe due to my older TV and frame rates but now baffled.
I watched the Man City game as well, watched Chelsea game afterwards - PQ nowhere near as good.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2021, 20:45   #647
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Watching United v Arsenal and it’s a full 55 seconds behind live according to one major bookmaker.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 21:12   #648
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Watching United v Arsenal and it’s a full 55 seconds behind live according to one major bookmaker.
Yup, I watched some of the Man City game last night and it was at least 45 seconds to a minute behind, there was also motion blur when the ball was moving fast, streaming really needs to get their act together because this is hopeless.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 21:24   #649
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Yup, I watched some of the Man City game last night and it was at least 45 seconds to a minute behind, there was also motion blur when the ball was moving fast, streaming really needs to get their act together because this is hopeless.
When the stream is live, by definition there’s no time to add the extra jiggery-pokery that smooths out fast-moving scenes of the kind you get in any live sport. In fact, of all the things you can do with a live tv stream, sport is probably the most difficult. Viewing football smoothly in UHD needs the sort of rock-solid high bandwidth stream you can only reliably get from a broadcast source that isn’t compromised by reliance on the internet, or, I suspect, an extremely expensive TV with the processing power necessary to make up for it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 21:36   #650
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Out of curiosity what device are you using and can you force 50hz?

I’ve used some devices that insist on scaling to 4K60hz on “Auto” and you have to force 50.

Dare I say one of the pitfalls of this diverse streaming future, with a diverse range of apps on a diverse set of devices is it’s harder to troubleshoot these issues.
Old 02-12-2021, 22:35   #651
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Out of curiosity what device are you using and can you force 50hz?

I’ve used some devices that insist on scaling to 4K60hz on “Auto” and you have to force 50.

Dare I say one of the pitfalls of this diverse streaming future, with a diverse range of apps on a diverse set of devices is it’s harder to troubleshoot these issues.
Are you referring to what I watched it on?
Old 02-12-2021, 22:38   #652
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Are you referring to what I watched it on?
Yes are you using a V6/Fire Stick/integrated app on the TV/Chromecast/laptop/games console etc.

Sorry could have been clearer.
Old 02-12-2021, 22:43   #653
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes are you using a V6/Fire Stick/integrated app on the TV/Chromecast/laptop/games console etc.

Sorry could have been clearer.
No worries, yeah I watched it on the Amazon Prime app via the V6 box.
Old 02-12-2021, 22:56   #654
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
No worries, yeah I watched it on the Amazon Prime app via the V6 box.
Cool, that’ll be 50hz anyway so it won’t be a 60hz output causing the problem. Games consoles are usually a culprit for 60hz output.
Old 02-12-2021, 23:03   #655
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Cool, that’ll be 50hz anyway so it won’t be a 60hz output causing the problem. Games consoles are usually a culprit for 60hz output.

The game was ok PQ-wise, apart from the blur at times, but the delay isn't good.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:22   #656
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
The game was ok PQ-wise, apart from the blur at times, but the delay isn't good.
Amazon are still playing catch up, i watch on either peacock or nbcsports and no blurring at all, i use the firetv cube which tbf is a pretty powerful device.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:27   #657
jfman
Architect of Ideas

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-25-5tbps.html

“Good” news that so many people enjoyed Amazon’s football coverage but bad news from BT with the reminder that someone has to pay for the fact streaming is a ruthlessly inefficient way to broadcast live events to millions of homes.
Old 03-12-2021, 14:41   #658
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-25-5tbps.html

“Good” news that so many people enjoyed Amazon’s football coverage but bad news from BT with the reminder that someone has to pay for the fact streaming is a ruthlessly inefficient way to broadcast live events to millions of homes.

I am sure OB can tell us what the resolution to that problem is.
Old 03-12-2021, 17:18   #659
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I am sure OB can tell us what the resolution to that problem is.
Didn’t you catch it in the future of television thread? It’s satellites
Old 03-12-2021, 17:25   #660
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Didn’t you catch it in the future of television thread? It’s satellites