Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 01-11-2021, 17:47   #481
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Obviously the streaming model doesn't work in UK - otherwise why spend a lot of money buying BT Sports.

They will acquire the BT rights - particularly Premier League, Champions League and Premiership Rugby.

I seem to recall that Sky have to agree any sale of BT sports rights - anyone confirm this and have sky agreed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed, if there were any doubt that the prophecies of the imminent demise of linear television were incorrect, this surely puts it to bed.

Far from being easy to pick off rights as values fall and have customers swarm across it now appears to be challenging to the extent it is worth buying one of the incumbents, their customer base and fundamentally in the short to medium term their viable business model.
No news yet on if DAZN will keep all the BT Sports Channel slots or move everything to DAZN streaming Service.

If DAZN axe BT's EPG Slots it will be goodbye from me to UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and WWE (I have been watching WWF/WWE since 1990.)
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2021, 18:11   #482
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
No news yet on if DAZN will keep all the BT Sports Channel slots or move everything to DAZN streaming Service.

If DAZN axe BT's EPG Slots it will be goodbye from me to UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and WWE (I have been watching WWF/WWE since 1990.)
There’s zero chance of that happening imminently, MB.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 23:17   #483
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Apologies if already posted

https://variety.com/2021/digital/new...nd-1235077697/
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 23:53   #484
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The Serie A debacle has had fleeting references but I don’t recall such a detailed article. Thanks for sharing.

I’m quite sure the EPL will have all eyes on it and - purely for reputational risk to their product - require assurances from some hypothetical streaming only service bidding in the far, far future.
Old 02-11-2021, 14:11   #485
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
The Serie A debacle has had fleeting references but I don’t recall such a detailed article. Thanks for sharing.

I’m quite sure the EPL will have all eyes on it and - purely for reputational risk to their product - require assurances from some hypothetical streaming only service bidding in the far, far future.
For Italy substitute UK and for Serie A substitute EPL.

This country has significant broadband challenges, when they are resolved then streamers will have a better opportunity to enter the market.

AS FOR DAZN buying BT sports just to get their customer base then ditch the linear channels - I cannot believe this will happen - surely it would be cheaper just to buy the rights they want from BT?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 14:26   #486
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

I agree with most of the blah, blah due to broadband issues such as experienced recently in Italy, jf man. I don’t agree with the far, far, however.
Old 02-11-2021, 14:44   #487
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree with most of the blah, blah due to broadband issues such as experienced recently in Italy, jf man. I don’t agree with the far, far, however.
I think we've seen the future with Sky Glass. Linear channels and streaming apps all delivered by broadband hopefully with a way of searching across all content providers with one search function. And no space for those pesky shopping channels.

I thought you of all forum members would be an early adopter, Old Boy, and would have booked your first class ticket aboard the future of TV broadcasting on the Streaming Express - aka Sky Glass - by now?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 15:06   #488
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

You then only have to buy or pay monthly for a TV then pay Sky’s through the roof subscription charges and an add on for just about everything Sky deems non standard.

No way would I ever buy Sky Glass in its current form.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 15:27   #489
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Netflix are toying with the idea of discounted annual subs aka 12 months standard 1 screnn £59.90 and so on.
Old 02-11-2021, 17:09   #490
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think we've seen the future with Sky Glass. Linear channels and streaming apps all delivered by broadband hopefully with a way of searching across all content providers with one search function. And no space for those pesky shopping channels.

I thought you of all forum members would be an early adopter, Old Boy, and would have booked your first class ticket aboard the future of TV broadcasting on the Streaming Express - aka Sky Glass - by now?
We are certainly moving in the right direction, and faster than I anticipated. However, as I said before, I would not wish to be locked into Sky in order to receive the ‘smart’ part of my TV.

I do like the focus on the streamers, though, and also the live TV (while transmitter based broadcasting exists) being available without an aerial.

We are still ‘getting there’ as far as I am concerned. It could well be that the Sky solution turns out to be the best in the long run, but we shall see. On balance, I like the look of the Roku and Amazon TVs more, but the lack of a watchlist option is a disincentive. I rely on lists of programmes I have started or want to see - I don’t want to faff about compiling my own lists just to keep track of everything.
Old 02-11-2021, 18:05   #491
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

If you research Sky Glass, you will find a number have already returned their TV as it is nowhere near the right quality.

This despite sky employees posting try Sky Glass as the solution to anyone who has dish problems.

Interestingly sky H&S has changed over the last few years so that Sky engineers will not maintain/upgrade dishes that are deemed too high/inaccessible - despite the fact they originally installed them.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 19:14   #492
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well every customer who doesn’t have an adequate broadband connection is a customer that a diverse broadcaster - utilising all available technologies - could reach that an ideological streamer cannot. That impacts the entire business model and the maximum a bidder would outlay.

As Raider points out Serie A is the equivalent premium sports rights in that nation as the EPL here. Yet they flounder on a few hundred thousand subscribers. Even population adjusted it’s absolutely miles from where it needs to be.
Old 03-11-2021, 13:00   #493
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Netflix are toying with the idea of discounted annual subs aka 12 months standard 1 screnn £59.90 and so on.
Thanks for the info, hopefully it comes to fruition.

I'm amazed Netflix haven't offered any discounts at all since their inception (that I know of). Possibly the only TV content supplier to not do so.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 16:40   #494
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Thanks for the info, hopefully it comes to fruition.

I'm amazed Netflix haven't offered any discounts at all since their inception (that I know of). Possibly the only TV content supplier to not do so.
I would say to offer discounts is the pathway to a hornets nest of problems just look at the posts here! Netflix don't need too join in the race to the bottom , the problem with having staff on bonuses for keeping customers .
Old 03-11-2021, 16:59   #495
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

UK Government is considering taxing streaming services.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...d-online-goods
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote