Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]
Closed Thread

Old 22-10-2022, 19:26   #1546
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I suggest we don’t need a leader who makes laws, flouts them, and repeatedly lies and ignores rules and conventions to get his mates out of trouble.
For fear of going over old ground but the “flouts the laws” angle has never really had a tremendous amount of weight.

It has been evidenced that numerous MPs that either made, voted for or indeed requested harsher laws all flouted them when it suited them.

And just in regards to the Tory leadership, Sunak is as culpable as Johnson.

As I say, a choice between those two is no choice at all.
Old 22-10-2022, 20:18   #1547
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Some Tory donors being told Boris will not run.
https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status...94436148178944
Old 22-10-2022, 20:55   #1548
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
For fear of going over old ground but the “flouts the laws” angle has never really had a tremendous amount of weight.

It has been evidenced that numerous MPs that either made, voted for or indeed requested harsher laws all flouted them when it suited them.

And just in regards to the Tory leadership, Sunak is as culpable as Johnson.

As I say, a choice between those two is no choice at all.
I don't like Sunak, I don't like a lot of the current frontline Tories.

But I think there is a basic standard of competence and decency that is required of senior politicians. Teresa May had it, as much as I dislike him generally Cameron had it.

Sunak also got fined and in another political age maybe he would be out of the running for this job but that isn't this time. Thankfully for him, he is against Boris Johnson who didn't just get fined but lied time and time again about it, tried to change the rules to get his mate off a lobbying charge and then ignored allegations of sexual harassment even giving a job to the accused and once again lied about it when called on it.

Time and time again Johnson thinks rules don't apply to him and seems to like brazenly and repeatedly even about trivial things. Right now all the press is excitedly reporting about him returning home from his holiday but why was he on holiday? Parliament was in recess all summer and then again for party conference season. He still has a job.

There is a point when you have to say enough. Sunak is a Leaver who believes in a small state. I really hope he loses an election. But between him and Johnson I think it has to be Sunak because he clears the bar of being a better moral character than Johnson.
Old 22-10-2022, 21:17   #1549
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

But I think there is a basic standard of competence and decency that is required of senior politicians. Teresa May had it, as much as I dislike him generally Cameron had it.

Sunak also got fined and in another political age maybe he would be out of the running for this job but that isn't this time. Thankfully for him, he is against Boris Johnson who didn't just get fined but lied time and time again about it, tried to change the rules to get his mate off a lobbying charge and then ignored allegations of sexual harassment even giving a job to the accused and once again lied about it when called on it.

Time and time again Johnson thinks rules don't apply to him and seems to like brazenly and repeatedly even about trivial things. Right now all the press is excitedly reporting about him returning home from his holiday but why was he on holiday? Parliament was in recess all summer and then again for party conference season. He still has a job.

There is a point when you have to say enough. Sunak is a Leaver who believes in a small state. I really hope he loses an election. But between him and Johnson I think it has to be Sunak because he clears the bar of being a better moral character than Johnson.
Sunak also lied.

https://twitter.com/haggis_uk/status...jJk0HYqzQUUD9g
Old 22-10-2022, 21:29   #1550
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Theresa May again, did not have it, she was weak and feeble, decided to get her own mandate then went on campaign trail of “Strong & Stable”, which was a bit dim and lost the Tories their majority.
Old 22-10-2022, 21:31   #1551
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Yes, never said he was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Theresa May again, did not have it, she was weak and feeble, decided to get her own mandate then went on campaign trail of “Strong & Stable”, which was a bit dim and lost the Tories their majority.
Didn't say she was a good PM. Just that she had basic moral character and decency. Maybe not competent.
Old 22-10-2022, 22:02   #1552
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Is Penny Mordaunt any good as an option ? I know very little about her.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 22-10-2022, 22:08   #1553
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Yes, never said he was great.
But this is the thing. You, and others, put him forward as the morally superior choice!

The man who also lied in Parliament. The man who worked behind the scenes to remove the leader of the party, very moral. The person that printed a shed load of cash to pay people to stay at home, causing the economic crisis we are now in.

Sunak is complicit in everything, but he’s the best person!

The markets like him? Seems democracy has been bent over and royally rogered by “the markets” recently. It seems that regardless of what course sovereign governments wish to explore, is irrelevant. We are subservient to “the markets” and what “the markets” want changes on a daily basis.

I don’t know who I want. But to suggest Sunak is morally superior to Johnson is laughable.

People voted for Boris, not Sunak. Boris has a chance, albeit a very slim one, to at least hang on to some of the red wall. Sunak has no chance whatsoever.
Old 22-10-2022, 22:09   #1554
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Is Penny Mordaunt any good as an option ? I know very little about her.
Objectively (honestly) I’d say so.

The Conservative Party need to move on. A decade from when an EU referendum was mooted it finds itself bogged down in the same old debates.

Boris is a liar, he and Sunak both broke the law. Sunak is eye wateringly wealthy with a US Green Card and questionable tax practices under his own roof. Neither will appeal to the public at the next election.

We do indeed know little. However it makes her a relatively clean slate.
Old 22-10-2022, 22:14   #1555
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Objectively (honestly) I’d say so.

The Conservative Party need to move on. A decade from when an EU referendum was mooted it finds itself bogged down in the same old debates.

Boris is a liar, he and Sunak both broke the law. Sunak is eye wateringly wealthy with a US Green Card and questionable tax practices under his own roof. Neither will appeal to the public at the next election.

We do indeed know little. However it makes her a relatively clean slate.
Team JFman again !
Old 22-10-2022, 22:15   #1556
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
But this is the thing. You, and others, put him forward as the morally superior choice!
Out of Johnson and Sunak yes. Eveything you said about Sunak applies more to Johnson. Both of them were fined, and both lied about it. Johnson also lied and promoted Pincher and lied several more times in Parliament.

Quote:
The man who also lied in Parliament. The man who worked behind the scenes to remove the leader of the party, very moral. The person that printed a shed load of cash to pay people to stay at home, causing the economic crisis we are now in.

Sunak is complicit in everything, but he’s the best person!
Johnson was behind that too. He lied in Parliament. He worked to remove May.

Quote:
The markets like him? Seems democracy has been bent over and royally rogered by “the markets” recently. It seems that regardless of what course sovereign governments wish to explore, is irrelevant. We are subservient to “the markets” and what “the markets” want changes on a daily basis.
The markets are what Truss wanted to borrow from. They upped the price of borrowing because they doubted the economic ability of the U.K to pay it back. I don't like it but if you're the free market party electing a leader who believes in free markets then don't whine if it proves your undoing.
Old 22-10-2022, 22:19   #1557
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Out of Johnson and Sunak yes. Eveything you said about Sunak applies more to Johnson. Both of them were fined, and both lied about it. Johnson also lied and promoted Pincher and lied several more times in Parliament.
They’re two sides of the same shit sandwich. The only difference between us is, if going forward, with either of these two, in my opinion Boris would do better.

But a poor proposition. Either way
Old 22-10-2022, 22:21   #1558
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Team JFman again !
I do think he’s slightly morally superior to Johnson, but probably less electable despite that. Neither are fit for the problems of 2025-30.
Old 22-10-2022, 22:45   #1559
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 70CE33FD-D6BB-4724-8EB4-A1C95668373F.jpeg (94.9 KB, 42 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 22-10-2022, 23:12   #1560
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
They’re two sides of the same shit sandwich. The only difference between us is, if going forward, with either of these two, in my opinion Boris would do better.

But a poor proposition. Either way
One is less awful than the other, and it’s a choice of one or the other. On that basis alone, Sunak is the one.

There simply isn’t going to be a general election unless the parliamentary conservatives become unmanageable. The polls guarantee a wipeout. The only sensible course of action if you’re a Tory is to choose the most stabilising leader on offer and hope that something comes up by 2024 that makes that wipeout less likely. That more than 70 Tory MPs don’t seem able to see that is sobering but there are encouraging signs this evening that Sunak and BoJo are going to sew it up so no contest is required.

If Sunak has any sense he’ll offer Boris the foreign office and encourage him to spend as much time as possible in Kyiv.
Closed Thread