Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nuclear Fusion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Nuclear Fusion

Old 12-05-2021, 22:16   #1
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
Dr Greg Brittles' eyes gleam with excitement when he explains the project he is working on.

"It's every engineer's dream really, to have a project that's technically challenging, which requires you to develop new technology and solutions to hard problems, but that are also simultaneously important for the world to have."

Since finishing his research at Oxford University five years ago, he has been working for Tokamak Energy, a UK start-up that has plans to build a fusion reactor.
Link
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2021, 12:40   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Nuclear Fusion

Very interesting link Cobby. I wonder, if sometime far in the future, they will be able to produce a scaled down version that can be used to power transport.

After all the original idea of using batteries to generate enough power for a car had people saying that you would need a trailer the same size as the car in order to cope with the shear weight and size of the batteries needed and look at us now.

The one thing I know is that it will be my Grandson who will be the one in my family to witness the great strides that Nuclear Fusion could provide to help the world in the future.

I just hope that those that have the funds to finance the work now will not restrict the benefits in any self centred quest for an extortionate financial gain if their investment bears fruit in the future.
Old 13-05-2021, 13:02   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

then one goes out of control and boom there goes the Earth lol

All the particle accelerators of which there are thousands apparently have the chance all be it tiny of creating a quantum black hole which could swallow the Earth but they still do it

We need to mine more dilithium crystals and develop impulse engines and we will be ok ( well until a Kelpien goes mental ) hehehehehehe
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 13:57   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
then one goes out of control and boom there goes the Earth lol

All the particle accelerators of which there are thousands apparently have the chance all be it tiny of creating a quantum black hole which could swallow the Earth but they still do it

We need to mine more dilithium crystals and develop impulse engines and we will be ok ( well until a Kelpien goes mental ) hehehehehehe
I guess I have assumed the roll of the forum Ostrich, burying my head in a none existent Nuclear Bunker, and didn't like to question whether there would be a potential threat to world safety if the Nuclear Fusion could be weaponised let alone us risk your scenario Jay.

(sorry for 'longest sentence of the day' competition entry)
Old 13-05-2021, 14:09   #5
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I guess I have assumed the roll of the forum Ostrich, burying my head in a none existent Nuclear Bunker, and didn't like to question whether there would be a potential threat to world safety if the Nuclear Fusion could be weaponised let alone us risk your scenario Jay.

It is all remarkably unlikely
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 14:30   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post

Fusion is already weaponised in modern nuclear weapons. These use a small nuclear fission explosion to create the pressure (via x-rays) necessary to fuse hydrogen. The first hydrogen bombs (a.k.a. 'H-bomb') were detonated by the US in the very early 1950s. The Hiroshima bomb was a fission weapon and yielded about 16 kilotons. The biggest fusion weapon ever demonstrated was the USSR's Tsar Bomba in the early 1960s, which yielded 50 megatons.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 14:49   #7
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

We're sorted then, all the modern households of the future will require are matchbox size 'fusion bombs' . . available from your local hardware store at competitive prices.

Single use only, full money back guarantee (T&C's apply), seller not liable for damage incurred to property or life when using this device.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 11:22   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

IIRC isn't Fusion the one that is less radioactive?
Old 14-05-2021, 12:06   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
IIRC isn't Fusion the one that is less radioactive?
The by product is mainly Helium. IIRC There are no significant radioactive isotopes produced unlike fission.
Old 14-05-2021, 12:43   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Yup, I believe the radiation left behind by an H-bomb comes from the fission explosion used to trigger the fusion one.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 19:46   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Demonstration Fusion Plant to be built in UK ;

Quote:
A company backed by Amazon's Jeff Bezos is set to build a large-scale nuclear fusion demonstration plant in Oxfordshire.

Canada's General Fusion is one of the leading private firms aiming to turn the promise of fusion into a commercially viable energy source.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57512229

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote