Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 17:21   #1711
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
No it's your interpretation of what you think the Government will do in six years time. There's no manifesto commitment, no proposed legislation. Nothing but your hopes and dreams.

The 2025 broadband commitment is getting watered down so much the networks, particularly in rural areas, will not be up to it.

Then you're goosed until 2037. Better get shifting those goalposts again OB.
No, 2027 is what he said. The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.

As you always express a contrary view, I guess I must be on the right lines. You have nothing to back up your view, as usual.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
"Moot"
You need to read the article. He’s been mooting at doing this for sometime! It is only the broadband rollout that seems to be holding him back.
Old 02-03-2021, 17:22   #1712
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I did, in the Times.

"could be" is not "will be", and "allow subscription funding of the BBC to be considered" is not "will be", no matter how much you try to spin it...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...band-2c88wx9h5

Quote:
The BBC could be moved away from the TV licence to a subscription model when superfast broadband is rolled out to all homes, the media minister said last night.

John Whittingdale said that there would “come a time” in the next few years when a Netflix-style funding system would be possible, but it would require every household to have the technology to watch programmes on demand over the internet, which is not the case now.

Whittingdale said that the government’s plans to accelerate the expansion of broadband could allow subscription funding of the BBC to be considered by the time the corporation’s royal charter expires in 2027.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 02-03-2021, 17:22   #1713
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
"could be" is not "will be"
Resorting to pedantry now...
Old 02-03-2021, 17:25   #1714
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Or as everyone else calls it, correct use of language.

You could be tall, handsome, and attractive to women, but you not necessarily will be...

One is definite, one is maybe...

If I had a million pounds, I could buy a big house (maybe)
If I had a million pounds, I would buy a big house (definite)

See the difference?
Old 02-03-2021, 17:26   #1715
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Or as everyone else calls it, correct use of language.

You could be tall, handsome, and attractive to women, but you not necessarily will be...
I’d like to think so, though.
Old 02-03-2021, 17:55   #1716
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo View Post
Considering BBC3 is aimed at a younger audience, younger audiences do not think "ooh, must be sat infront of the TV at 8pm"... That change has already happened. They do not even "record", they just catch it on iPlayer.

Why bring it back as a linear channel?

Some of the younger generation do not even know that TV comes through an aerial, they think it comes from wifi.

I would suggest it is more to justify the TV licence to the younger generation...

"Oh look, we bought this back... aren't we great"
What's an aerial?
Old 02-03-2021, 18:07   #1717
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, 2027 is what he said. The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.

As you always express a contrary view, I guess I must be on the right lines. You have nothing to back up your view, as usual.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

You need to read the article. He’s been mooting at doing this for sometime! It is only the broadband rollout that seems to be holding him back.
Can you source the BBC saying they will not use the existing transmitter network after 2027?

Also any OFCOM or DCMS consultation on future use of the spectrum, any proposed auctioning off of said spectrum or anything indicative of your claim being true?

Conscious of the fact you often selectively interpret these things I'd be grateful for a look myself.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2021, 18:44   #1718
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I did, in the Times.

"could be" is not "will be", and "allow subscription funding of the BBC to be considered" is not "will be", no matter how much you try to spin it...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...band-2c88wx9h5
"The Government via John Whittingdale MP are currently busy negotiating with the BBC about the level at which the licence fee should be set from 2022 to 2027 (it’s currently aligned to inflation). One of the proposals could eventually see it being replaced with a Netflix-style subscription model, but Whittingdale suggests (The Times) that this might have to wait until closer to 2027 so that universal coverage of faster broadband can be achieved.

John Whittingdale MP said:"

Quote:
Young people are turning more and more to video-on-demand services. That does beg the question about whether or not the licence fee model, which has been based on the fact that everybody used the BBC, can continue.

The rollout of broadband is very fast, we will reach universal coverage, and there will come a time when it would be possible for us to move towards a full subscription service for everybody, but that time has not yet arrived.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...universal.html
Old 02-03-2021, 18:56   #1719
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Can you source the BBC saying they will not use the existing transmitter network after 2027?

Also any OFCOM or DCMS consultation on future use of the spectrum, any proposed auctioning off of said spectrum or anything indicative of your claim being true?

Conscious of the fact you often selectively interpret these things I'd be grateful for a look myself.

Thanks in advance.
I did provide a link at the time. About 18 months ago, if I remember correctly.
Old 02-03-2021, 19:01   #1720
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
As per, you trumped up a piece of off-the-cuff speculation into hard policy, if I remember correctly.

Link, or it’s not happening.
Old 02-03-2021, 19:38   #1721
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As per, you trumped up a piece of off-the-cuff speculation into hard policy, if I remember correctly.

Link, or it’s not happening.
It was a BBC document.
Old 02-03-2021, 19:39   #1722
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I eagerly await the link to this silver bullet.
Old 02-03-2021, 19:45   #1723
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I eagerly await the link to this silver bullet.
I’m afraid I will have to leave that to you. I’m not trawling through thousands of posts just to please you, given that nothing would convince you anyway.

If you want to waste your evenings looking up stuff, knock yourself out.
Old 02-03-2021, 19:49   #1724
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I’m afraid I will have to leave that to you. I’m not trawling through thousands of posts just to please you, given that nothing would convince you anyway.

If you want to waste your evenings looking up stuff, knock yourself out.
I can only presume no such evidence exists. A quick Google reveals nothing. Considering the move to digital only was almost twenty years in the making I find it hard to imagine there is no publicity, anywhere, of the BBC ceasing digital terrestrial transmissions in just six years time.

This leads me to conclude you imagined it.
Old 02-03-2021, 19:57   #1725
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
And it was refuted at the time...

From the Netflix/Streaming Services thread, 31/12/2019, 14:43 & 17:46

Quote:
The BBC is planning for that eventuality - I mentioned this and provided my source some months ago. But of course, that doesn't suit your argument, so you ignore it. So, dream on, jfman, dream on.
Quote:
Good friend of mine (known him since ‘94, worked with him twice in that time period) is a Network Technical Architect with the BBC (deeply involved in planning for the medium and long-term future for the BBC networks and transmission capabilities) disagrees with you...

He is currently involved (a small part if his job) in replacing 128Kb ISDN links (used for the Outside Broadcasting voice links) from football stadiums with 5G links - the ISDN links have been in place since the early 80s. The BBC sweats its assets, and doesn’t replace stuff because something "shiny" comes on stream.

The BBC put an options paper together, one of those options was no DTT, but that was in the "very unlikely" category...
Closed Thread