Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 28-04-2019, 10:32   #1816
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Brexit

Can I ask how we know what's inside the thousands of containers that arrive weekly on ships?

Obviously there is a cargo manifest type document, but are they all opened/scanned/whatever to ensure the contents are what the paperwork says?

If we're going to inspect every vehicle entering/leaving Northern & Southern Ireland, let's start doing the same with everything else eh
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2019, 10:33   #1817
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Majority of public think we shouldn't have held the EU referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...idea-says-poll
But that is as a result of the bullying, nasty, obnoxious, and obstructive tactics of the Remain side, and not because they didn't want to leave the EU. Should bullying be rewarded?
Old 28-04-2019, 10:51   #1818
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Your response to Hugh is dismissive,insulting and demonstrates a basic lack of understanding

His response is absolutely correct and I concur as someone with approx 25 yeas experience of designing and implementing large scale IT infrastructure
I too have 25 years experience working in the technology sector for a communications company and have built and delivered networks from the days of dial up internet to 1G FTTH, and worked on hundreds of projects to deliver products over these networks.

So I know the pace of which technology and innovative products are designed built and delivered, and i don’t recall anyone in a meeting saying it’s too difficult so we shouldn’t do it, or can’t do it. It was always we can’t do it that way, but we could do it this way.

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think the solution will be political. If it isn't the backstop then it'll be a blind eye turned to tariffs or customs checks.

In the end it's not every clear what the basis of a technological solution will be. We're talking about a way of electronically knowing what good are on a truck. At the moment our technology struggles to detect with precision if people are hiding inside a truck without stopping it so I have no idea how we could scan every item in a truck for regulatory compliance.
It would be a combination of both, enhanced technological solution, combined with a different regime of what is checked where, when and how.

My entire point in these last several posts has only been that if required a solution would and could be found.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
At least you have a grasp on reality...

"Yadda yadda yadda" is what lead to the NHS IT fiasco.

No, we approached it with an attitude "what is it we are trying to and how do we make it work’.

I have delivered all my programmes except two -

The first one was an example of your "yadda yadda yadda’ approach - the Board told the City that the new Banking systems would be live for a certain date, even though the Suppliers and IT had shown, no matter what we did, it would be six months after that (with sufficiently complex systems, you can’t just throw resources at it - there are developmental stage gates that you have to go through in certain sequences) - we delivered on time, but the systems crashed almost immediately because there hadn’t been time to undertake full integration and end-user testing; this meant the company couldn’t do business for three weeks (which is a bit of a bugger if you are a £3 billion a year turnover Financial Services Company). We managed to get something up and running after three weeks, but it took nearly a year before things were running smoothly (it mean working long hours and most weekends for nearly a year for most of the Programme and IT teams; not something I would recommend for efficiency and accuracy.) btw, that company no longer exists...

The second programme was one I took over, and it had been running for 5 years and still hadn’t delivered - I reviewed it, and found it had started with no agreed requirements, no business ownership, and senior management who said "just do it" but couldn’t agree what "lt" was beyond a very high level concept (sound familiar?). I recommended that we kill it, as there were still no agreed requirements (the poor developers were visited each week and given requirements, with no change control, which often contradicted the previous ones). Because this was a "political" "just do it" Programme (someone very high in the organisation had had an "brilliant idea", and got his lackies to get it started (and then lost interest), so I couldn’t just cancel it. I proposed a remedial plan, which stopped all the changes, and proposed an independent review at the year end, by an outside consultancy with expertise in that area). At the year end, they found it was not recoverable, and proposed shutting it down.

However, I have successfully implemented many major complex systems, including what was the largest Data Warehouse programme in Europe at the time (which took 4 years), a major SAP implementation (which took 3 years), and the complete refurbishment of a Head Office and 450 Branch Offices IT Infrastructure, including Business Continuity. I have run large technology programmes and departments (500+ staff and £100+ million budgets), and been an IT Director and a member of the Google Europe CIO Group - what’s your Technology delivery background?

These things aren’t easy, these things aren’t simple, and anyone who thinks they are is suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Sounds like you’re the man for the job then.

And from what you and others are quoting, 3 years / 4 years seems reasonable, not 10 years.

In my sector if we worked on 10 year cycles for rolling out new technology products we’d be out of business.
Old 28-04-2019, 11:08   #1819
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Tory Eurosceptics prepared to vote down Theresa May's Brexit deal have risen by a third, claim MPs
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...exit-deal-has/

Oh dear, it's going the wrong way again for TM.

So her deal is even deader than dead, the talks with Labour a charade going nowhere, and the EU who won't open the deal again. Wonder what the plan is?

And why don't these Tory switchers have minds of their own and rely on the DUP to decide for them ? Is it they are more concentrated on their own careers than any strong feelings about Brexit?

And, is Fabricant's wig the worst ever ??

Lot of questions, give me the answers !

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Old 28-04-2019, 11:10   #1820
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Can I ask how we know what's inside the thousands of containers that arrive weekly on ships?

Obviously there is a cargo manifest type document, but are they all opened/scanned/whatever to ensure the contents are what the paperwork says?

If we're going to inspect every vehicle entering/leaving Northern & Southern Ireland, let's start doing the same with everything else eh
Everything that has come from NI, has either come from outside the EU, and as therefore gone through the same processes as it does now, or has come from the UK.

The only problem products are ones where the UK rules differ from the EU. That won't happen for a while, and any differences are not likely to be that big. Current EU rules aren't always adhered to by EU countries, so ultimately there is no real difference to what goes on at the moment. Largely a big fuss over nothing.
Old 28-04-2019, 11:38   #1821
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
But that is as a result of the bullying, nasty, obnoxious, and obstructive tactics of the Remain side, and not because they didn't want to leave the EU. Should bullying be rewarded?
Bullying should not be rewarded and I was pleased to see that the police have stepped up their efforts to protect MPs from it.
You'll have to explain how the public is being bullied as I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't believe they are.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Everything that has come from NI, has either come from outside the EU, and as therefore gone through the same processes as it does now, or has come from the UK.

The only problem products are ones where the UK rules differ from the EU. That won't happen for a while, and any differences are not likely to be that big. Current EU rules aren't always adhered to by EU countries, so ultimately there is no real difference to what goes on at the moment. Largely a big fuss over nothing.
It's up to EU countries to inspect imports, they can't outsource it to a third country which is what the UK would become.
Old 28-04-2019, 11:38   #1822
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Bullying should not be rewarded and I was pleased to see that the police have stepped up their efforts to protect MPs from it.
You'll have to explain how the public is being bullied as I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't believe they are.
You'll have to explain how mp's are being bullied and by whom.
Old 28-04-2019, 11:45   #1823
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
You'll have to explain how mp's are being bullied and by whom.
As always, very happy to help you. Speaker John Bercow has described the abuse and harassment of MPs outside Parliament as "a type of fascism" and called for a change of policing policy. So by some members of the public.
Old 28-04-2019, 11:46   #1824
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I too have 25 years experience working in the technology sector for a communications company and have built and delivered networks from the days of dial up internet to 1G FTTH, and worked on hundreds of projects to deliver products over these networks.

So I know the pace of which technology and innovative products are designed built and delivered, and i don’t recall anyone in a meeting saying it’s too difficult so we shouldn’t do it, or can’t do it. It was always we can’t do it that way, but we could do it this way.

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

It would be a combination of both, enhanced technological solution, combined with a different regime of what is checked where, when and how.

My entire point in these last several posts has only been that if required a solution would and could be found.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Sounds like you’re the man for the job then.

And from what you and others are quoting, 3 years / 4 years seems reasonable, not 10 years.

In my sector if we worked on 10 year cycles for rolling out new technology products we’d be out of business.
But it’s not "rolling out", it’s developing from scratch a complex multi-national new business model, and the supporting processes, and interfaces. I have run Technology departments, including networks, and I always said they were the easiest to run - give me enough money to throw at a network/server farm/infrastructure build, and it can be done. It’s the stuff that runs on the networks and servers that is the hard part, and the discovery, design, development, and implementation of the processes and systems that is hard. When we did the data warehouse, it took a year to discover all the in-house systems that would need to be included (or excluded) - we found 635 different systems (because the company had grown acquired other mobile Telecomms companies), but when we started the discovery process, we were told there were about 200 - we then had to agree common output formats (as most of the systems had different size definitions for customer, address, billing fields, and thousands of other required parameters). We then had to find and ETL (extraction, translate, and load) software that could process 30,000,000 records an hour, and there were numerous set backs along the way, but we delivered, but also delivered value to the business.

That took three years with one company - we are talking about 28 UK Government departments, multiple countries, and potentially hundreds of thousands of businesses; it can be done, but I imagine 10 years is a reasonable timescale.

In your 25 years, have you been actively involved in the Programme Management (putting together Programme Plans, developing Risk Management and Management, senior Stakeholder management), or been actively involved in the technology development of the network equipment with the suppliers, or did you deploy it? I know for a fact Cisco, VMware, Microsoft, IBM, and the other major players gave a 10 year development cycle road-map (which is continually reviewed and changed).

And before you bring up "the pace of technology", any programme manager who proposed the solution to include "we don’t know what it will be, but we hope something unknown will be developed soon that will enable us to deliver" would be fired, or at least beaten about the head by Risk Management and Programme Governance.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 28-04-2019 at 15:58.
Old 28-04-2019, 11:47   #1825
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
In a sector with lots of competitors and companies internationally doing the same thing, that's the kind of cycle to expect. But in a unique situation that only applies in one place in the world, you wouldn't expect such a short cycle.
Old 28-04-2019, 11:51   #1826
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
As always, very happy to help you. Speaker John Bercow has described the abuse and harassment of MPs outside Parliament as "a type of fascism" and called for a change of policing policy. So by some members of the public.
So a"fascist" called an Mp a Nazi and that's the definition of fascism ? or is that not the example you had in mind?
Old 28-04-2019, 12:22   #1827
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
At least you have a grasp on reality...

"Yadda yadda yadda" is what lead to the NHS IT fiasco.

<SNIP>
Always have had and for IT systems and infrastructure delivery rather longer than most have so far owned up to.

Our differences seem to be different sides of the Brexit dived plus a different view on where the democracy line is drawn, both arguments having merit.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 28-04-2019, 12:34   #1828
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

BREAKING: The Brexit Party surges in to first place for European Elections less than one month after launching.

European Parliament voting intention:

BREX: 28% (+5)
LAB: 22% (-)
CON: 13% (-4)
CHUK: 10% (+2)
GRN: 10% (-)
LDEM: 7% (-2)
UKIP 5% (-1)

via
@YouGov
, 23 - 26 Apr

UK has not changed it's mind on leaving the corrupted EU.
Old 28-04-2019, 12:45   #1829
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

It's up to EU countries to inspect imports, they can't outsource it to a third country which is what the UK would become.
The procedures are already in place to check imports. Nothing that new would have to be implemented. Only minor changes of the sort that would happen even if we remained.
Old 28-04-2019, 12:56   #1830
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
BREAKING: The Brexit Party surges in to first place for European Elections less than one month after launching.

European Parliament voting intention:

BREX: 28% (+5)
LAB: 22% (-)
CON: 13% (-4)
CHUK: 10% (+2)
GRN: 10% (-)
LDEM: 7% (-2)
UKIP 5% (-1)

via
@YouGov
, 23 - 26 Apr

UK has not changed it's mind on leaving the corrupted EU.
You're confusing me Mick, I thought you said opinion polls didn't matter and the only poll that mattered was the referendum in 2016? So why are you posting the above poll
Closed Thread