Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 21:27   #946
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

I said the main extras are included - but stuff like Eleven Sport do not appear even though their app is on there.
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2019, 21:31   #947
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
I said the main extras are included - but stuff like Eleven Sport do not appear even though their app is on there.
I would guess that's down to an agreement between the app provider and Amazon.
Old 26-06-2019, 15:49   #948
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20190625...#axzz5rxghK0Cz

I agree with these conclusions, although I think they have underestimated how quickly the pay tv channels will disappear.

The forum found that industry executives were optimistic about the pay-TV industry’s ability to reinvent aggregation models. However, executives noted that existing aggregation models must evolve in response to the rising popularity of OTT services, and an anticipated decline in the number of linear channels. A striking 94% of participants believe that by 2024 major platforms in European markets will carry 20% fewer linear pay-TV channels than today. This will mean that some smaller channels will become unsustainable.

The other key finding was that the anticipated proliferation of subscription OTT services will likely present opportunities for pay-TV providers to become ‘super-aggregators’ of content. Four-fifths of executives believe that major OTT subscription services, such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, can be valuable as part of the pay-TV offer. In addition, they see that on-boarding OTT services can deliver both convenience and utility, as well as creating new marketing and bundling opportunities.
Old 26-06-2019, 17:31   #949
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Aggregation will work if the streamers allow themselves to be aggregated, but when companies like Comcast and AT&T are both platform and aggregator aka streamer, will these sort of companies allow each others services to be on their networks in the future?
Old 26-06-2019, 18:16   #950
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Aggregation will work if the streamers allow themselves to be aggregated, but when companies like Comcast and AT&T are both platform and aggregator aka streamer, will these sort of companies allow each others services to be on their networks in the future?
Very good point. I noticed that Sky had combined Netflix and Sky Box Sets to offer a lower price when combined. I am sure that these aggregators will work out ways of offering a good deal to their customers, even if the price reduction doesn't come from the actual subscriptions of the streaming services. Instead, they could offer, for example, cheaper broadband or telephone charges when taking one of these packages, or they may decide to do a carriage deal with ITV and Channel 4 so that they can offer ITV Hub+ and All4+ with no extra cost, and so on.
Old 26-06-2019, 18:52   #951
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Aggregation is what we have now. Which is it I’m confused, will platforms continue to dominate or independent streamers? If it’s aggregators, why won’t Liberty and Comcast be best placed to do this?
Old 27-06-2019, 08:39   #952
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Aggregation is what we have now. Which is it I’m confused, will platforms continue to dominate or independent streamers? If it’s aggregators, why won’t Liberty and Comcast be best placed to do this?
I think platforms will dominate because most people will find it useful to have everything in one place. So I believe that is the future for Sky, Virgin Media, BT, etc.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the fortunes of streamers such as Roku because I cannot see them offering bundles of streamers for a cheaper price, but who knows? Things may change.

Roku does offer a huge range of streaming services which some may find attractive, but although all of this fascinates me, I rarely watch anything on my Roku apart from Now TV (for Sky Atlantic shows). There is no reason, of course, why Sky, VM and BT cannot also offer a huge range of streamers, although there doesn't seem to be any sign of that happening so far as they concentrate on only the most popular of these. If they did so, Roku could sink.
Old 27-06-2019, 12:51   #953
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I wouldn't be shocked to see Prime added to Sky at some point Comcast already has it on its X1 platform and has just signed a deal to add Amazon Music to it as well.
Old 27-06-2019, 13:18   #954
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see Prime added to Sky at some point Comcast already has it on its X1 platform and has just signed a deal to add Amazon Music to it as well.
Now that BT and VM have taken the plunge, I'm sure Sky will too.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 27-06-2019 at 13:22.
Old 27-06-2019, 13:28   #955
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Now that BT and VM have taken the plunge, I'm sure Sky will too.
The decision is a lot easier for both of those.
Old 27-06-2019, 13:39   #956
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The decision is a lot easier for both of those.
Sorry, but I don't understand why. Sky did appear reluctant to embrace OTT services at first, but they followed when VM got Netflix.

Liberty Global themselves had concerns about Prime, but when BT added it to their platform, LG changed their minds, and I'm sure Sky will do, too.
Old 27-06-2019, 13:51   #957
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sorry, but I don't understand why. Sky did appear reluctant to embrace OTT services at first, but they followed when VM got Netflix.

Liberty Global themselves had concerns about Prime, but when BT added it to their platform, LG changed their minds, and I'm sure Sky will do, too.
Simple because Sky has far more competing services such as Sky Store , Sky Cinema and the Sky Entertainment channels , both VM and BT buy the bulk of their content in so not as big of an issue.
Old 27-06-2019, 13:55   #958
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Simple because Sky has far more competing services such as Sky Store , Sky Cinema and the Sky Entertainment channels , both VM and BT buy the bulk of their content in so not as big of an issue.
That is the way l generally see it too as why would Sky want a service that competes with their own services.
Old 27-06-2019, 13:59   #959
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That is the way l generally see it too as why would Sky want a service that competes with their own services.
I think it will arrive Den but the deal has to make perfect business sense to Sky
Old 27-06-2019, 14:04   #960
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I think it will arrive Den but the deal has to make perfect business sense to Sky
Indeed MM.