Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 14-03-2018, 19:59   #3331
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

The remote is fine.
Placed buttons down, it sits flat and is the correct way up for picking it up.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2018, 20:22   #3332
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Just recently we have been getting pixelation problems, it's more noticeable when watching football on Sky and BT HD channels, as far as I am aware pixelation occurs when the incoming signal to your TV is weak or incomplete, so can anyone throw some light on this problem, as it has only just started in the last week or so.

Thx.

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
The remote is fine.
Placed buttons down, it sits flat and is the correct way up for picking it up.
Ah, never thought of putting it down that way, thanks Rob....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 20:23   #3333
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Just recently we have been getting pixelation problems, it's more noticeable when watching football on Sky and BT HD channels, as far as I am aware pixelation occurs when the incoming signal to your TV is weak or incomplete, so can anyone throw some light on this problem, as it has only just started in the last week or so.
Yes, usually a poor signal. You need a technician visit.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 20:34   #3334
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Yes, usually a poor signal. You need a technician visit.

Ok thanks, SP.....
Old 14-03-2018, 20:58   #3335
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
A nice flat remote would be nice. VMs peanut thing always ends up on the floor...
Just had to pick mine up and re-assemble so can identify with that

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Quote:

Thx.[COLOR="Silver"]

Had this myself, technician came went to box in street came back and all was well - solution was moving me towards top of box (apparently those at top get stronger signals to house!)

Problem as I see it is were others all moved down one or was it a one for one swap?

What happens if another technician comes later and you get moved back down to resolve someone else's problem?

Seems a very strange setup - you would have thought all would be the same?

Last edited by Hugh; 14-03-2018 at 21:52.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 21:47   #3336
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

Reason I asked as the current remote is TiVo centric you’d end up with useless buttons like thumbs up and down keys... I’d prefer TiVo gui to be honest I seen horizon before and the gui is terrible compared to TiVo as a matter of a fact virgin should adapt hydra gui.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 22:16   #3337
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
Reason I asked as the current remote is TiVo centric you’d end up with useless buttons like thumbs up and down keys... I’d prefer TiVo gui to be honest I seen horizon before and the gui is terrible compared to TiVo as a matter of a fact virgin should adapt hydra gui.
Totally agree with this. I really like what TiVo have done with the Hydra UI.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 22:29   #3338
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Had this myself, technician came went to box in street came back and all was well - solution was moving me towards top of box (apparently those at top get stronger signals to house!)

Problem as I see it is were others all moved down one or was it a one for one swap?

What happens if another technician comes later and you get moved back down to resolve someone else's problem?

Seems a very strange setup - you would have thought all would be the same?
They need a range of signal levels at the cabinet because the distance to the houses varies. Longer cables need more signal.

Hopefully there were some spare taps in your cabinet, so they didn't have to move someone else down to move yours up.
Old 14-03-2018, 23:01   #3339
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Can this be done remotely without the need for an engineer to visit? This has only happened since we got the V6 boxes, is this just a coincidence or could it be related?
Old 14-03-2018, 23:20   #3340
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I've noticed that if you check the signal levels and are tuned to HD channels they are getting significantly higher signal levels. Only noticed it recently as I too have had pixelisation more often, though it's now reduced/stopped in last week or so despite no change in signal levels.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 23:56   #3341
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Can this be done remotely without the need for an engineer to visit? This has only happened since we got the V6 boxes, is this just a coincidence or could it be related?
No, it can't be done remotely. But before you call, just make sure all the connectors are tight. It might simply be a connector got disturbed when the new boxes were put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I've noticed that if you check the signal levels and are tuned to HD channels they are getting significantly higher signal levels. Only noticed it recently as I too have had pixelisation more often, though it's now reduced/stopped in last week or so despite no change in signal levels.
Different frequencies will often have different signal levels. It's normal and the boxes are designed to cope with a wide range of levels.

The levels will also vary depending on the temperature. Maybe the pixellation was during the spell of very cold weather?
Old 15-03-2018, 13:58   #3342
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Different frequencies will often have different signal levels. It's normal and the boxes are designed to cope with a wide range of levels.

The levels will also vary depending on the temperature. Maybe the pixellation was during the spell of very cold weather?
Thanks spiderplant. :-)

That never occurred to me, I do think the pixelation coincided with it. The levels haven't changed though since the pixelation reduced/stopped.

V6 is due Monday so we'll see how they are then.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 16:02   #3343
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Just reading through the t's and c's and it says

Quote:
TiVo: The monthly TiVo charge is £5 per TiVo box (on top of your Player TV, Mix TV, Fun TV or Full House TV package’). Content available to view depends on your TV package. TiVo box remains property of Virgin Media.
Should the page not also state an additional V6 will cost £7.50 a month?
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 16:09   #3344
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

They're not always though - it depends on your bundle

For instance the VIP bundle includes an additional V6 box, but you're not charged an extra £7.50 on top of your quoted price.

The bit about the TiVo fee has been around since TiVo launched on Virgin Media - because it used to be an extra fee, and I believe it's also part of TiVo's requirements, so Virgin Media have to list it separately for legal reasons.
Old 15-03-2018, 21:24   #3345
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

According to my technician it is because V6 boxes can record 6 progs at once, therefore 2 boxes = 12 progs.

This is equivalent of 4 TiVo boxes so needs a better signal.

I don't know if there was a spare slot high up in the box or not - technician just said he had moved me up so I would get the quality of signal I needed.

I suppose it makes sense for distance to also be a factor, just seemed strange that the higher up you are the better signal you get.

Maybe this is because the top 1 takes what it needs then the 2nd etc, whilst those at the bottom get what's left?

Have to say on a Saturday particularly I am usually recording 5 or 6 HD progs on each box at any one time - so presumably needing a high quality signal?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote