Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Commonwealth Games 2014

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Commonwealth Games 2014

Old 24-07-2014, 11:51   #31
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

Mo Farah withdraws from Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonw...games/28460396
Old 24-07-2014, 11:55   #32
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
How much did the opening ceremony cost?
Sax shillings and saxpance.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 12:56   #33
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

I'm loving the Judo and I think the opening ceremony was good IMO.
Old 24-07-2014, 13:03   #34
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Mo Farah withdraws from Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
Not exactly surprising. Being the cynical type I think they knew this weeks ago but waited till the last minute to announce it.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 14:03   #35
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Not exactly surprising. Being the cynical type I think they knew this weeks ago but waited till the last minute to announce it.
If he obviously knew that he was not going to be fit a while back then it would have been nice if he had told his team several weeks ago in order for someone else to be given their chance in his place.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
I'm loving the Judo and I think the opening ceremony was good IMO.
If l was giving marks for the opening ceremony l think a mark of 7/10 would be around right.
Old 24-07-2014, 14:54   #36
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Jodie Stimpson of England claimed the first gold medal at Glasgow 2014 with victory in the women's triathlon.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonw...games/28463629

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 18:58   #37
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
England's Alistair and Jonny Brownlee win gold and silver in
Triathlon.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/comm...games/28440115

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Quote:
Scotland has won its first medal with Silver for Aileen McGlynn and Louise Haston in the Para-cycling women's tandem.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28460897
Old 24-07-2014, 20:38   #38
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

I thought the opening ceremony was OK.... eventually. Poor start... great finish. I enjoyed the sentiment and symbolism of the "chair" dance to invite the participants into the Stadium. I spoke to a couple of competitors at Argyle Street station this evening and they're thoroughly enjoying it. Full of praise for accommodation and food in the athletes village.

First day back at work today after 3 weeks in Florida. Trains were a nightmare but there's a good buzz around the city.

I've got tickets for the gymnastics in the Hydro tomorrow and the Swimming on Sunday.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 20:59   #39
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Sisters Kimberley and Louise Renicks win gold for Scotland.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/comm...games/28440115
Old 24-07-2014, 22:03   #40
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Jayde Taylor ‏@_JaydeTaylor

Ahhh The Queen photo-bombed our selfie!! 😄 👑 #royalty #sheevensmiled #amazing #Glasgow2014 @Hockeyroos @AusComGames

12:24 PM - 24 Jul 2014

https://twitter.com/_JaydeTaylor/sta...69017215012864
Quote:
Jayde Taylor ‏@_JaydeTaylor

.@TheEllenShow I think our selfie tops yours! 😄👑 #queenselfie #queenphotobomb #hockeyroos #callme

1:53 PM - 24 Jul 2014

https://twitter.com/_JaydeTaylor/sta...91601390391296
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 22:26   #41
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
I've got tickets for the gymnastics in the Hydro tomorrow and the Swimming on Sunday.
Oh that's funny ... so did I. Whereabouts were you sat?

This was our view, with a wee Clyde:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg clyde-gym.jpg (65.5 KB, 61 views)
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 22:58   #42
LondonRoad
Inactive

LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Oh that's funny ... so did I. Whereabouts were you sat?

This was our view, with a wee Clyde:

It is tomorrow afternoon we go to the Hydro. I'm in Block 210, row C which means nothing to me. Probably in the gods as we only got these in the 2nd ballot.
Old 24-07-2014, 23:30   #43
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Doesn't sound too bad actually. You'll be quite a bit further forward than us. We were three rows from the very back, in the highest part of the seating. Lucky none of us have vertigo.

It's a great atmosphere, you'll really enjoy it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 23:35   #44
LondonRoad
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Doesn't sound too bad actually. You'll be quite a bit further forward than us. We were three rows from the very back, in the highest part of the seating. Lucky none of us have vertigo.

It's a great atmosphere, you'll really enjoy it.
Aye, just checked the stadium plan and the seats are pretty good. I don't have to take the oxygen bottles after all

Looking forward to it.
Old 25-07-2014, 07:31   #45
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Good stuff from a local bike shop.

Quote:
A Commonwealth cycling team has been given new bikes by a Glasgow shop after theirs were found to be unfit for purpose.

Team Malawi arrived from Africa with their cycles, which they intended to use for both the mountain biking and road events.

However, when Neil Bilsland, of independent bike shop Bilsland Cycles, found out that the cycles were in a poor state of repair he offered to step in.
On a side note if anyone is looking for biking related stuff I'd recommend a local small scale shop over the biggies like halfords etc any day of the week.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote