Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 11-10-2012, 18:23   #151
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

I'm clinging to the hope that there will be an opportunity for the likes of ESPN to pick up some cheap rights for things Sky have decided to "tighten their belts" on in order to pay for the rising cost of the Premier League rights.

I really don't think we can be too far away from several important announcements, 1st what are BT going to do with their rights; 2nd whether ESPN feel they have a future in the UK market; 3rd how Virgin Media plan to react to those two events.

I'm not expecting Virgin to necessarily continue to offer free Premier League on their XL package - and I certainly wouldn't pay for a new channel - and to be honest I can't say I'll miss what is roughly one live game a week often at a time when I'm travelling back from spending the money I save by not having Sky Sports on actually going to a match, but I very much want to be able to continue to watch as much FA Cup, Europa League and top European League football as I can currently in addition to whats available on the FTA channels.

Fingers crossed for some good news!
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2012, 19:19   #152
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I'm clinging to the hope that there will be an opportunity for the likes of ESPN to pick up some cheap rights for things Sky have decided to "tighten their belts" on in order to pay for the rising cost of the Premier League rights.
I agree however I'd prefer to see BBC and ITV snap up more rights.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 19:35   #153
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I agree however I'd prefer to see BBC and ITV snap up more rights.
Well Chad with the BBC licence fee being frozen they are not bidding for a lot of sports rights and actually are reducing their sports rights portfolio.
Old 11-10-2012, 19:50   #154
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well Chad with the BBC licence fee being frozen they are not bidding for a lot of sports rights and actually are reducing their sports rights portfolio.
They should reduce Strictly Come Dancing

I wonder if BBC and ITV would ever consider joint bids for TV rights and split coverage 50/50?
Old 11-10-2012, 20:02   #155
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

I wonder if BBC and ITV would ever consider joint bids for TV rights and split coverage 50/50?
Yes l would be quite happy for SCD to go and as for the BBC and ITV making joint bids l would say thats highly unlikely but suffice to say l would be quite happy for that to happen.
Old 11-10-2012, 21:00   #156
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Channel 4 must still have some of the money they wanted to splash on f1 burning a hole in their pockets.
Old 11-10-2012, 21:16   #157
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Channel 4 must still have some of the money they wanted to splash on f1 burning a hole in their pockets.
A pittance compared compared to Sky and BT's deep pockets.
Old 11-10-2012, 21:28   #158
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
A pittance compared compared to Sky and BT's deep pockets.
Certainly. And I'm not for a moment expecting Virgin, ESPN or free to air broadcasters to go toe to toe with Sky or Bt. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy top quality Sports broadcasting without having to pay extra for premium content. I, for example, am particularly looking forward to an England double bill tomorrow night - the u21's in their first leg play offs and then the senior side in the qualifier. All available in hd on Virgin TV's xl package.
Old 14-10-2012, 10:10   #159
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

I won't touch BT's channel with a barge pole.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 10:20   #160
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
It really depends one on the price it will retail at to us and two what content will actually be on the channel when it launches.
Old 14-10-2012, 17:53   #161
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
Why?
Old 15-10-2012, 14:55   #162
one2escape
Inactive

one2escape is an unknown quantity at this point

What gets me is why isnt there a Internet rights being discussed. Look at the football of Fox in the states, You pay a monthly fee and you can watch whatever EPL match you want live and legal.
one2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 15:39   #163
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2escape View Post
What gets me is why isnt there a Internet rights being discussed. Look at the football of Fox in the states, You pay a monthly fee and you can watch whatever EPL match you want live and legal.
Don't Sky own the Internet rights for all their games ? I'm presuming they must as they've stated EPL football will be available on NowTV.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 17:17   #164
toby53
Inactive

toby53 is on a distinguished roadtoby53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Stillto expensive for this to happen money rules football and only Sky can cut it
toby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 20:37   #165
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby53 View Post
Stillto expensive for this to happen money rules football and only Sky can cut it
Noticed BBC Scotland and ESPN split the rights to Belgium Vs. Scotland tomorrow.