Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Uh oh... green screen of death

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

Old 17-11-2011, 10:57   #1
jbrown_gtfc
Inactive

jbrown_gtfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

According to other posts, our TIVO was due an update early this morning (being in the Grimsby area).

If I try to watch TV, the box restarts itself after about 30 seconds and always starts up on the "Home" screen. If I leave it on the Home screen it doesn't crash/restart.

Does anyone else have this issue or know the solution other than calling an engineer out?
jbrown_gtfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2011, 11:08   #2
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: TIVO Update = Constant Crashes/Restarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_gtfc View Post
According to other posts, our TIVO was due an update early this morning (being in the Grimsby area).

If I try to watch TV, the box restarts itself after about 30 seconds and always starts up on the "Home" screen. If I leave it on the Home screen it doesn't crash/restart.

Does anyone else have this issue or know the solution other than calling an engineer out?
unplug the box for 30 seconds and reconnect, if issue continues then call TiVo faults.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 11:33   #3
m0j00
Inactive

m0j00 is on a distinguished roadm0j00 is on a distinguished road

You can also check the signal levels and return path in the diagnostics now.
m0j00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 01:01   #4
LincsGuy2005
Inactive

LincsGuy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I have not been overly impressed with the TiVo (and certainly cannot see why people rave about a piece of kit that apart from one extra tuner has less useful functionality than its V+ predecessor!), I've not had a problem with it since installation back in April. However I am getting the exact same fault following last night's "upgrade" (I live near Lincoln).

Tried unplugging the box for a few minutes but it makes no difference. Called the fault line earlier and an engineer is coming tomorrow evening. The guy I spoke to did apparently connect remotely to the TiVo but couldn't see a problem in the 30 seconds or so he spent looking at it - must be some pretty nifty diagnostic kit he had to check it out so quickly.

Wondering if I should just get the engineer tomorrow to take the Tivo away and reconnect the V+ box.
LincsGuy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 03:20   #5
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincsGuy2005 View Post
Wondering if I should just get the engineer tomorrow to take the Tivo away and reconnect the V+ box.
If you see no benefit to 5x the storage, quick access to catchup, suggestions and the ability to record three shows at once (and soon share those recordings) then yeah.
Old 18-11-2011, 08:52   #6
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
If you see no benefit to 5x the storage, quick access to catchup, suggestions and the ability to record three shows at once (and soon share those recordings) then yeah.
And not forgetting the star of the show, (for me) Whishlists.

Also, full season and episode lists at your fingertips and great search functionality with a direct link to youtube to sample a show that you've never seen before.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 11:31   #7
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincsGuy2005 View Post
Although I have not been overly impressed with the TiVo (and certainly cannot see why people rave about a piece of kit that apart from one extra tuner has less useful functionality than its V+ predecessor!), I've not had a problem with it since installation back in April. However I am getting the exact same fault following last night's "upgrade" (I live near Lincoln).

Tried unplugging the box for a few minutes but it makes no difference. Called the fault line earlier and an engineer is coming tomorrow evening. The guy I spoke to did apparently connect remotely to the TiVo but couldn't see a problem in the 30 seconds or so he spent looking at it - must be some pretty nifty diagnostic kit he had to check it out so quickly.

If that's what you want to do, then that's up to you.
Old 18-11-2011, 12:15   #8
jbrown_gtfc
Inactive

An update - I've heard it's a widespread problem with this update on 1TB boxes.
Old 18-11-2011, 12:17   #9
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Who has said that?
Old 18-11-2011, 12:19   #10
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I'd take that with a grain of salt mate!
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 12:28   #11
jbrown_gtfc
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Who has said that?

The technician I had out this morning in his phone calls with colleagues.
Old 18-11-2011, 12:31   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
The technician I had out this morning in his phone calls with colleagues.
What was his exact words.
Old 18-11-2011, 12:33   #13
jbrown_gtfc
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
What was his exact words.
Sorry didn't have my dictaphone turned on at the time, but along the lines of 'numerous reported problems of the new TIVO update on 1TB boxes causing constant restarts of the box'.
Old 18-11-2011, 12:40   #14
LincsGuy2005
Inactive

LincsGuy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

What was his solution to the constant crashing problem?
LincsGuy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 12:42   #15
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Sorry didn't have my dictaphone turned on at the time, but along the lines of 'numerous reported problems of the new TIVO update on 1TB boxes causing constant restarts of the box'.
Well my update is on the 24th so l will be keeping a close eye on it but l do not expect any problems.