Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Snow !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Snow !

Old 21-11-2005, 15:19   #256
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Snow in your area

Well no snow in Manc but you cant see where you are going for the pea soup fog that has been hanging around all day. Perhaps some snow would help us all to see
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-11-2005, 15:26   #257
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
100% chance of snow!?! Bring it on!!!
All it needs is 3 flakes and the country grinds to a halt!

If this snow they're forecasting actually arrives in any quantity, we'll have more dramas for the media. I mean, what's wrong with cars/trucks/trains etc. over here that at the first hint of snow everything stops moving? (Or starts sliding uncontrollably into a ditch, thereby causing the sensible drivers to be held up while the idiots get dragged out.)

Driving in snow isn't that hard - it just requires a bit of care and patience - and losing the lead foot, and leaving more space between cars.

Of course too many drivers have trouble with those concepts, as they demonstrate every morning in any and all driving conditions.
Old 21-11-2005, 15:35   #258
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredWebWarrior
All it needs is 3 flakes and the country grinds to a halt!

If this snow they're forecasting actually arrives in any quantity, we'll have more dramas for the media. I mean, what's wrong with cars/trucks/trains etc. over here that at the first hint of snow everything stops moving? (Or starts sliding uncontrollably into a ditch, thereby causing the sensible drivers to be held up while the idiots get dragged out.)

Driving in snow isn't that hard - it just requires a bit of care and patience - and losing the lead foot, and leaving more space between cars.

Of course too many drivers have trouble with those concepts, as they demonstrate every morning in any and all driving conditions.
Ooh, I bet you feel better for that rant ...

You're right though, I remember there being a snap snowfall the last winter I spent in Hemel that caught all the gritters off guard. It took me about three hours to crawl home from Watford that night and we weren't even the worst affected area.

I'm off to Stockholm later this week. I'll be packing some warm gear, but if there is snow while I'm there I'm not anticipating the city grinding to a halt!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 15:44   #259
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Ooh, I bet you feel better for that rant ...
Not really, because I know they'll keep doing it anyway.

Instead of all the roadworks, they could do a lot more to improve the traffic by making it more likely for the idiots to get caught. Maybe if they had to start driving lessons again they'd learn how to drive properly. (Of course this would require the standard of driving tuition to be raised considerably. Like including motorway driving, night driving and skid pan work.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
You're right though, I remember there being a snap snowfall the last winter
Me too. No gritting, idiots driving too fast and traffic at a standstill.

I was lucky to find a back road which saved me 2 hours of tailback traffic, but it was very hairy indeed - hence 3 cars in the ditch within a mile of each other. And considering the way my car was behaving at 15mph, I have a pretty good idea how they ended up in there.
Old 21-11-2005, 15:51   #260
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I was lucky to find a back road which saved me 2 hours of tailback traffic, but it was very hairy indeed - hence 3 cars in the ditch within a mile of each other. And considering the way my car was behaving at 15mph, I have a pretty good idea how they ended up in there.
After a couple of hours behind the wheel, I got within a mile of my house and then stopped dead in gridlock. I u-turned and tried to go through Picotts End and up the back lanes into Grovehill, but when I got up there I came across white van man and his mate, who had just run their vehicle into a snowdrift and blocked the way. I had to give them a lift back down the lane (as far as a farm where they found a willing farmer with a Land Rover), where I then rejoined the queue and spent another hour getting home. If I'd been dressed for it I'd have abandoned the car on the verge and walked home in about 15 minutes.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 15:57   #261
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Maybe if they had to start driving lessons again they'd learn how to drive properly. (Of course this would require the standard of driving tuition to be raised considerably. Like including motorway driving, night driving and skid pan work.)
i consider myself to be a decent driver but boy did i get caught out a few years back when it took me 8 hours to drive from hatfield, down the a1 to central london. Deflating the tyres slightly, and taking off in 2nd gear , and leaving my rear wheel drive car at home next time it happened were 3 of the best tips I was given (after frantically calling some "advanced" drivers), but I dont recall reading those in the Highway code or during mey lessons (Fair point considering its not often we used to have those conditions) I think on the onset of winter and freezing weather people should actively get tips on how to drive in extreme weather conditions (i.e snow and ice), as not many people know how to do it.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 16:01   #262
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3144

nothings going to happen down my way....
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 16:10   #263
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

About two years ago I got stuck for the entire night on the motorway around Paris as the conditions just got so bad all traffic was stuck on the motorway. No one got out their cars as it was freezing.
All mobile networks were flooded and it was chaos. Seeing as I had been traveling since morning and thought I was going to arrive in the evening, I had the worst time ever having to spend the whole of the night in the car.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 16:13   #264
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millay
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3144

nothings going to happen down my way....
Thankfully...but then I'm in Lee-on-Solent so I never see the stuff...
Old 21-11-2005, 16:14   #265
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Yeah, SWW, although I do love the white stuff, I know what you mean... last year we had a sudden snow storm here in Swindon - couldn't have been more than a couple of inches at most, but it fell very suddenly. Took me hours to get home, despite living about 2 miles away from where I worked

It's fine if it snows overnight, cause then you just phone your boss to say you're staying at home all day, and then you don't get caught up in all the problems. Luckily, my boss now lives in a secluded village about 15 miles from the office, so he'd not be at work in any case
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 16:24   #266
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

My wifes from canada, the first time she was here and it snowed she couldn't believe the effect a smattering of snow had.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 16:46   #267
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
My wifes from canada, the first time she was here and it snowed she couldn't believe the effect a smattering of snow had.
Scunthorpe officially ground to a halt when it snowed at the start of this year - my usual 30(ish) minute journey to work was fine until I got to Scunthorpe. It then took me 2½ hours to drive 2½ miles, purely because none of the morons driving had a clue about how to cope in snow.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 16:51   #268
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

LOL That must have beeen fun for you.
Everyone should be given a day off work when its like that.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 16:54   #269
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
LOL That must have beeen fun for you.
Everyone should be given a day off work when its like that.
FUN!?!?!?!?!?!

The only saving grace was that, even though I didn't get to work until nearly 11 o'clock, I still left at 5
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 16:57   #270
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Scunthorpe officially ground to a halt when it snowed at the start of this year - my usual 30(ish) minute journey to work was fine until I got to Scunthorpe. It then took me 2½ hours to drive 2½ miles, purely because none of the morons driving had a clue about how to cope in snow.
Know the feeling, that said when I was in Canada over winter a few years ago I had an interesting journey with someone who was under the assumption that using the handbrake was an accepted way for turning corners on un-ploughed roads.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote