Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 3 tuners

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

3 tuners

Old 22-11-2011, 16:02   #1
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
3 tuners

Why don`t sky produce boxes with 3 tuners or even 4? Surely this could be done easily enough? Or am I missing something?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2011, 16:18   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 3 tuners

Cost, and no doubt when they decided the original specifications they thought they had enough until Virgin Media showed them the error of their ways
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 16:19   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Isn't there a limit to how many tuners sky can handle due to the LNB on the dish?
Old 22-11-2011, 16:25   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Isn't there a limit to how many tuners sky can handle due to the LNB on the dish?
Sky make 'Octo' LNBs now which supports 8 tuners. This usually means you can have up to 4 Sky+/Sky+HD boxes (or 8 non-recordable Sky boxes) but I would expect could as easily be two 3 tuner boxes and one 2 tuner box
Old 22-11-2011, 17:12   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Why don`t sky produce boxes with 3 tuners or even 4? Surely this could be done easily enough? Or am I missing something?
Probably don't feel the need with the amount of +1 channels on satellite plus you now have Anytime , and Sky Go on PC has OD. The amount of tuners will be even more irrelevant soon for multiroom users when multiroom streaming arrives for VM and Sky , even with two Sky+HD boxes it would give you four tuners with the ability to watch box A's content on box B presuming they are both DVR's. I will accept though that the amount of people with multiroom will be in the minority.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 20:56   #6
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I seem to recall that Wotsat ran an article 3/4 years ago saying that Sky were planning a 4 tuner pvr, but I've never heard of it since. I'm sure uncle ruppie will have one last surprise up his sleeves before he goes to the great big bank in the sky.
Old 22-11-2011, 22:26   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I seem to recall that Wotsat ran an article 3/4 years ago saying that Sky were planning a 4 tuner pvr, but I've never heard of it since. I'm sure uncle ruppie will have one last surprise up his sleeves before he goes to the great big bank in the sky.
It's definately possible.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1500026
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 10:11   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

If I'm correct VM V+ has 4 tuners, 2 for recording, 1 for live and 1 for data.

I read hear ages ago they there was a possiblity that the live could become a 3rd recordable.
Old 23-11-2011, 10:26   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
If I'm correct VM V+ has 4 tuners, 2 for recording, 1 for live and 1 for data.

I read hear ages ago they there was a possiblity that the live could become a 3rd recordable.
I think technically the SA V+HD box could have 3 recordable tuners, in the same way as TiVo. It was a choice that one was dedicated to Live TV - probably because at the time customers expected to always be able to watch a live channel.

Not sure if the Samsung V+HD box could do that
Old 23-11-2011, 12:02   #10
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

My take on it is that Sky aren't bothered quite simply because for the majority of users it makes no difference. It would be very tough to simulate scenarios where a user absolutely can't watch a show due to lack of tuners. I guess live events would be the main issue.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 12:17   #11
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Thanks for all your input guys. For me I did wonder whether the reason was that Sky like that extra bit of revenue they can squeeze out of customers by getting you to pay an extra £10.25 for multi-room. And don`t forget until recently you had to pay the HD charge per box! I record alot of programs because I work night shift a few times a week or I`m watching the football. I prefer not to use the +1 channels as I feel cheated at not seeing the program in HD. Perhaps we should have HD+1 channels next? Cost I guess would prevent that.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 14:41   #12
LexDiamond
Inactive

LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

I think it will just go down the route of Anytime+. The more on demand for Sky's content will mean less recording being required.
Old 08-12-2011, 14:24   #13
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

I fell that Sky needs to improve is SKY+ HD box because it is falling behind Virgin's TIVO STB
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 15:54   #14
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
I fell that Sky needs to improve is SKY+ HD box because it is falling behind Virgin's TIVO STB
having just moved to sky from virgin because of a house move i agree ,the sky stb is waaaay behind even VM's V+ .The lack of multiple tuners is a definate disadvantage .Is there a stb i can buy that will work with sky similar to Tivo or V+?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20   #15
LexDiamond
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
having just moved to sky from virgin because of a house move i agree ,the sky stb is waaaay behind even VM's V+ .The lack of multiple tuners is a definate disadvantage .Is there a stb i can buy that will work with sky similar to Tivo or V+?
I got Sky a couple of months ago and it took a while to get used to. I've worked out various work arounds to get on with the Sky+HD box. Small things the V+ could do made it much easier to use.