Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Sports discount anyone?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Sky Sports discount anyone?

Old 11-08-2018, 13:07   #1
Milliner
Inactive

Milliner is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky Sports discount anyone?

Now TV currently have an offer of £179.00 for 10 months of Sky Sports (all the channels it seems). You pay upfront, but it's essentially 17.99 per month until the end of the footy season.

I'd prefer to get it as an add-on to my Virgin service, but for that price I can live without pause/rewind and 'passable' picture quality.

I thought I'd try calling Virgin on 150 anyway to see if they would match it (or get near at least), but having got round the 'upgrade-bot', the call centre op basically did the same thing and simply repeated the upgrade cost of £31 and what my new bill was.

He didn't even seem to register what I was asking for.

Anyone have any joy getting discounts with Virgin? Or is it basically a 'no' until later in the season?

Thanks!
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2018, 13:40   #2
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice
Re: Sky Sports discount anyone?

22 a month at the moment, should be an offer on the website
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 16:41   #3
Unknownguy
Inactive

Unknownguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I got it for £23 with HD for 6 months on top of my already discounted £45 full house package. I tried to get HD included at £16 but they weren't having it!
Unknownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 20:23   #4
Milliner
Inactive

Thanks for the replies.

I can see the £22/month offer (without HD?) but in typical Virgin fashion, it takes me another page trying to charge me 40 quid to get an engineer out to install it (?!).

Who did you talk to, if you did talk to someone? I might try again and hopefully get a better CS rep on the phone.

As an aside, a further £7 for HD? It looks awful in SD on modern TVs, so I’d be a bit miffed if I’d paid the full £31 for Sky Sports.
Old 11-08-2018, 22:06   #5
Unknownguy
Inactive

I contacted the upgrades team on live chat
Old 12-08-2018, 12:44   #6
Milliner
Inactive

Online chat were better but the best I got was £22.98 for 6 months, then it's full price. So NowTV's offer is a bit of a no-brainer this time.

Fair enough, they have their margins to meet.
Old 12-08-2018, 22:03   #7
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
Online chat were better but the best I got was £22.98 for 6 months, then it's full price. So NowTV's offer is a bit of a no-brainer this time.

Fair enough, they have their margins to meet.
As long as you are happy with the lesser service you get from Now TV (eg only a now and next facility on the EPG, no subtitles, no recording, etc).
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 10:39   #8
MatthewEastaugh
cf.member

MatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As long as you are happy with the lesser service you get from Now TV (eg only a now and next facility on the EPG, no subtitles, no recording, etc).
Something tells me they'll be fine.

Quote:
I'd prefer to get it as an add-on to my Virgin service, but for that price I can live without pause/rewind and 'passable' picture quality.
MatthewEastaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 10:59   #9
Milliner
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, as I mentioned in my OP, I did consider that I'd lose the TiVo functions, but I only watch sports live anyway and rarely use red-button services, so for the £20 difference, it made sense for me personally.
Old 13-08-2018, 21:38   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The best Sky Sports discount is to have access to a friend/relatives Sky Go log in
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 23:20   #11
Unknownguy
Inactive

Quote:
Yes, as I mentioned in my OP, I did consider that I'd lose the TiVo functions, but I only watch sports live anyway and rarely use red-button services, so for the £20 difference, it made sense for me personally.
I do like my extra functions so that won the day for me
Old 14-08-2018, 15:14   #12
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The best Sky Sports discount is to have access to a friend/relatives Sky Go log in
this is very true, I had recently been receiving regular calls from an outbound overseas sales team offering sky sports for £15.83 which is pretty good but not as good as free

and that person has my vm details to access bt sport so everyone’s a winner
Old 14-08-2018, 15:35   #13
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
this is very true, I had recently been receiving regular calls from an outbound overseas sales team offering sky sports for £15.83 which is pretty good but not as good as free

and that person has my vm details to access bt sport so everyone’s a winner
How does that work?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 15:43   #14
pengedragon
cf.addict

Badly worded

The person whose details I use for Sky Go uses my details to access Virgin TV Go