Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Broadband - Change IP ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Broadband - Change IP ?

Old 29-07-2018, 15:56   #16
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin Media Broadband - Change IP ?

Very simple, all the world knows my home address after 40 years living here.
If I moved - all the world would no longer know my new home address, only those I choose to let have it.

Same with my IP - thousands of sites know my IP. If I changed it only those sites I then contacted would know my new IP. A fresh start.

Sound sensible to me.
If I had a dynamic IP supplied, it would change frequently.

It should be my choice whether I have a new IP every single day or keep it for life.
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2018, 16:06   #17
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

...but why would you move after 40 years?

Perhaps you have fallen out with somebody.

Is that why you want a new IP address?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 16:19   #18
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
...but why would you move after 40 years?

Perhaps you have fallen out with somebody.

Is that why you want a new IP address?
Please don't be frivolous.
Try this -
My reason ?
Its as obvious as apple pie to me.
If the whole world knows it is ME by a 9 digit number, some sites good, bad or ugly, then if I change my 9 digit number - I disappear from their radar and appear as a perfect stranger.
What is the problem with that as a security measure ? Sounds elementary to me.

My motive is MY business. I asked a specific question, please concentrate on that, not my motives.

Last edited by beaker17; 29-07-2018 at 16:28.
Old 29-07-2018, 16:42   #19
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Well when you are asking to do something as pointless as changing your IP for "security" reasons then yeah people will start asking questions.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 16:51   #20
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Please forget the whole thing. I will find the answer elsewhere.
Old 29-07-2018, 18:32   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

as an fyi the ip address you get from VM as a residential customer is a dynamic address. The only time you'll get a static address is if you subscribe to the business service as things like servers like static ip addresses.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 18:45   #22
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from beaker17:

You've been given chapter and verse here, by those who know, good luck.

I'm sure the mods and admins will see you coming.
Old 30-07-2018, 14:05   #23
flummox
cf.member

flummox is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
Very simple, all the world knows my home address after 40 years living here.
If I moved - all the world would no longer know my new home address, only those I choose to let have it.

Same with my IP - thousands of sites know my IP. If I changed it only those sites I then contacted would know my new IP. A fresh start.

Sound sensible to me.
If I had a dynamic IP supplied, it would change frequently.

It should be my choice whether I have a new IP every single day or keep it for life.
This would work for about 30 seconds, given how internet connected everything is.
flummox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 19:51   #24
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Does that still work Kush?
I have no idea. I was hoping OP would try it and find out.

Quote:
Please don't be frivolous.
Try this -
My reason ?
Its as obvious as apple pie to me.
If the whole world knows it is ME by a 9 digit number, some sites good, bad or ugly, then if I change my 9 digit number - I disappear from their radar and appear as a perfect stranger.
What is the problem with that as a security measure ? Sounds elementary to me.

My motive is MY business. I asked a specific question, please concentrate on that, not my motives.
Well I've given you an answer for how to do it. You seem to have ignored it. Do try it and feed back as we're all dying to know if it'll work.

Though be aware, the reason for what you're trying to do is actually futile. Let's say you're correct, you're being tracked by a nefarious site via your IP address. Let's say it's something really insidious, like a rogue ad vendor that's tracking you through even legitimate sites, watching your every move. Here's the rub: There are other ways of tracking you than just your IP address. Take a look at https://amiunique.org/ and have a play around with it. Better yet - got a smartphone? Visit that site on wifi, then swap over to network data and notice that your fingerprint is identical

Every single time you visit a site, you're sending it all that information. They can use that to create a fingerprint of your device, regardless of the IP it has. This is even more relevant today, with sites seeing most of their traffic from smartphones - smartphones that often hop from network to network (Wifi, coffee shops, 4G, etc.) and rarely have a consistent IP. All the effort in tracking is down to fingerprinting devices. You can change your IP, but they'll figure out your fingerprint and log any historical IP addresses against it anyway, which they can cross-reference against a whole host of other information.

But go ahead, change your IP if it makes you feel better.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 20:11   #25
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

By mac address is a favourite or at least is one of multiple ways.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 01:08   #26
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I'm sure you will.

The fact remains that you are wasting your time.

Having a paddy about it when people point out your wasting your time wont change that.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 16:21   #27
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Truly, the best way of changing IP, apart from switching to or from modem-only mode, is to get VPN. This won't cost you huge amounts. $8.00 a month ain't that bad if it's important to you.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 20:46   #28
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

what a super idea, I hadn't thought of that
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote