Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 14-08-2018, 19:08   #4486
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

When I checked out the TV go app on the PC it mandated Win 10 so a total no no.

That is a Microsoft limitation on the Silverlight helper.
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2018, 00:58   #4487
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
When I checked out the TV go app on the PC it mandated Win 10 so a total no no.

That is a Microsoft limitation on the Silverlight helper.
TV Go works through a browser on Windows 7 and 8/8.1.

It'll work in Chrome and Firefox without Silverlight.

But downloads are iOS and Android only.
Old 15-08-2018, 09:51   #4488
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from BenMcr:

TV Go works through a browser on Windows 7 and 8/8.1.

It'll work in Chrome and Firefox without Silverlight.

But downloads are iOS and Android only.
This certainly not made clear on VM's website: Clicking on getting TV go for a PC takes you directly to MS web page for getting Silverlight and only on W10.

Maybe you can point me to the correct place for getting this on a W7 pro laptop using FF?

For the moment I'm using the TVPlayer for FTA programmes. I do take the XL pack and it would be nice to have these on the lappy.
Old 15-08-2018, 10:28   #4489
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
This certainly not made clear on VM's website: Clicking on getting TV go for a PC takes you directly to MS web page for getting Silverlight and only on W10.

Maybe you can point me to the correct place for getting this on a W7 pro laptop using FF?

For the moment I'm using the TVPlayer for FTA programmes. I do take the XL pack and it would be nice to have these on the lappy.
If i go to the below link in Firefox, it lets me login and register this PC and then streams what i want to watch, i do have Windows 10 though but i expect it'll work for you to?

https://virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/en.html
Old 15-08-2018, 10:31   #4490
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Thanks SnoopZ. I'll give it a whirl later as I'm on the XP2 machine at the moment.

[edit]

Got a bit further on that link, think I was logged into my account last time I tried

Logged in using one of my VM email addresses and it shows the TV streams that I can get on the box. I needed to install Silverlight (x64) from the link on the page and this succeded OK.

I cannot play ANY of the streams, even the freeview ones, it just comes up with "This video is not available, try later"

Good old chocolate fireguard.

At least TVplayer actually works.

Last edited by heero_yuy; 15-08-2018 at 11:42.
Old 15-08-2018, 22:17   #4491
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks SnoopZ. I'll give it a whirl later as I'm on the XP2 machine at the moment.

[edit]

Got a bit further on that link, think I was logged into my account last time I tried

Logged in using one of my VM email addresses and it shows the TV streams that I can get on the box. I needed to install Silverlight (x64) from the link on the page and this succeded OK.

I cannot play ANY of the streams, even the freeview ones, it just comes up with "This video is not available, try later"

Good old chocolate fireguard.

At least TVplayer actually works.

It works for me in normal Firefox and Chrome i didnt try IE or Edge, it must be a Windows 10 issue then?
Old 16-08-2018, 09:43   #4492
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

SPFL chiefs have held talks with Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google regarding TV rights. SPFL rights are currently held by SKY and BT but expire in 2020.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...levision-deal/
Old 16-08-2018, 09:46   #4493
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

If it only works for W10 users then it's very poorly designed.

One other thing I can try is to update Firefox as it's the version that I installed when I got the laptop a couple of years ago. Something like V43.
Old 16-08-2018, 10:47   #4494
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Which browser are you using?

TV Go works without a plugin on Firefox, Chrome, and Edge on Windows 10.

It needs a plugin on IE11 and Safari - my understanding this is because they don't have the correct support for the HTLM5 DRM that TV Go uses.

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Quote:
One other thing I can try is to update Firefox as it's the version that I installed when I got the laptop a couple of years ago. Something like V43.
If you update to past Firefox 52, that doesn't use plugins such as Silverlight, so should work with the HTML5 version of TV Go
Old 16-08-2018, 14:54   #4495
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Quote from BenMcr:

If you update to past Firefox 52, that doesn't use plugins such as Silverlight, so should work with the HTML5 version of TV Go
Thanks Ben. Sounds like a Firefox update is called for. I was advised a while ago that Silverlight was old tech. I only installed it because the site told me to.

Bit annoying having to fart about when TVPlayer worked straight away.

OK. Upgraded to Firefox Quantum V57. I was invited by the site to register the laptop as a device which I did and it seems to be working fine now.

Pity the TVgo site couldn't advise me to upgrade FF since it would know what browser type and version I was using.

Happy that it works though.
Old 28-08-2018, 23:25   #4496
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Amazon's US Open coverage doesn't seem to popular at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/B0...3?pageNumber=3
Old 29-08-2018, 06:39   #4497
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

Where is OB when you need him.
Old 29-08-2018, 09:13   #4498
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The quality is what you would expect from a dodgy internet stream - the same as the new Sky Sports EFL midweek service.

Dispite people expecting better quality like UHD - perhaps this is the future of sport?
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

Last edited by ozsat; 29-08-2018 at 09:20.
Old 29-08-2018, 10:49   #4499
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I have to say that I watched Andy and the picture was perfect. Prime Video app on Panasonic 4K TV with 5GHz WiFi.
Anyone with poor picture quality is likely a broadband issue, not a ‘broadcast’ issue.
Only issue I had was the camera position which was very high up on Louis Armstrong court.
We’ll see if this is improved on Arthur Ashe court today.
Old 29-08-2018, 11:19   #4500
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I have to say that I watched Andy and the picture was perfect. Prime Video app on Panasonic 4K TV with 5GHz WiFi.
Anyone with poor picture quality is likely a broadband issue, not a ‘broadcast’ issue.
Only issue I had was the camera position which was very high up on Louis Armstrong court.
We’ll see if this is improved on Arthur Ashe court today.
So all those people complaining about poor picture quality have poor broadband I seriously doubt that.

I certainly don't have poor broadband and noticed poor picture quality on several devices.
Closed Thread