Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14-06-2008, 03:09   #8851
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
I'm obviously doing something wrong. I've offered over and over again to go to Westminster and advise my MP, Don Foster, Home Office, DfBERR. If I say so myself, I think I'm quite well qualified to do it too.

FFS. Going to bed. This stuff just enrages me more and more and more every passing day.

You are lucky you can go to bed and sleep... I've already been to bed and kept thinking about what you wrote, now I feel ill and I can't sleep

---------- Post added at 03:09 ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
Read the comic, V for Vendetta, it is a masterpiece, the film is so watered down it's pathetic.
Good coverage of the story over on Wiki (Book and Film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_for_Vendetta_(film) [ Wiki LINK ]

"Alan Moore's original story is darker, with a greater emphasis on anarchist themes"
Advertisement
Old 14-06-2008, 04:00   #8852
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
Bloody ridiculous!
Are !WE! and only one politician the only ph~ckers that can see what is going on? Phorm is straight out of a George Orwell nightmare, its double speak psychology about protecting privacy by reading everything, all our private online thoughts is the biggest danger the British have faced since world war II.

Terrorist like the 7/7 bombers will come and go BUT Phorm once it has managed to slip its sinister feet under the table will be the biggest threat EVER to freedom, liberty and privacy.

Why can't those idiots get it through their thick skulls how dangerous Phorm really is!
i missed most of the personal data and privacy debate, but the one part that stands out (its in that text transcript you linked but doesnt stand out like the video)when i watched it, was the admission (of being a Tech noob )from Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer that

" My Lords, I thank warmly all noble Lords who have spoken. I have certainly learnt a lot today.

I pay tribute to the expertise of the noble Earl, Lord Erroll, who knows a great deal about this subject.

Everyone else I know with such expertise is under 25. In my family, only my stepson knows a great deal.

The remarks in my speech about the younger generation were made seriously—we are poorly equipped for this debate.

if you have VM , the debate's on OnDemand/Iplayer/Factual, page 2 of 21
"lards - personal data a..."

i cant find a direct URL online as yet other than perhaps forcing you to use the Iplayer and thats not for Linux/OtherOS.....

i wonder ...given the (other than Earl, Lord Erroll sat here) "we are poorly Equipped for this Debate"

if any of them might like to get an invite to go to the demo,not nessesarily to take part OC,unles they wish to, but to learn and be given the facts from our Anti Phorm/DPI Interception for profit POV.

or at least we might find a way to have them talk to us and learn the real facts as we see it for the DPA and private companies part of the review?

and we might even get some real advice and action as to getting a Govt department to investigate and report to the CPS....
Old 14-06-2008, 07:33   #8853
Hank

Quote:
Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer (Spokesperson in the Lords, Home Affairs; Liberal Democrat)

I was talking with the chief executive of Phorm this week who told me that once something is stored you have lost control over it. Phorm has been the subject of an interesting article in the Economist recently which some of your Lordships may have read. It is a company on the cutting edge of what can protect the public. A bit of controversy surrounds its work because, with its client BT, it intercepted people's online business without BT customers knowing. But Phorm is certainly correct when it says that if consumers knew what was actually stored they would decide to opt for true anonymity online. This is what Phorm is trying to develop with major telecommunications clients on a global scale.
Oh for Gods sake. The Liberal democrats of all people. FFS.
OMG. This just shows what many of us knew already. Mr Ertugrul might be a ***** but in conversation he sounds educated and presents a confident, even very well spoken persona. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying he has/is, but he has the cash, he can get to high places and he can talk a good job.

I forget who raised it, but we do need letters to those Lords and Ladies.

Posting today:

- Letter to The The Interception of Communications Commissioner
(follow up to the response from a local Police directing that IoCC is responsible for investigating breeches of RIPA 2000)

- Copy of above to Lord Northesk (who asked The Home Office who is responsible)

- Copy of the above to Lord Spithead (from Home Office who said it is the Police or other relevant law enforcement agency's responsibility to investigate)

- Copy of above to Vivian Reding, member of the EU commission who might be interested in what our government is or is not doing to ensure the laws of the land are applied

- Letter to Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer expressing grave concern that she has apparently met with a 'Wolf in sheeps clothing' and simply referencing the history of Phorm as 121Media with a non-technical short explanation of what rootkits are.

Get writing all!!

Hank

Old 14-06-2008, 08:50   #8854
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Only one other to add to Hanks check list (you beat me to it). This one is particularly urgent given the EC meeting in London on Friday at which I believe she will attend;

Attending the EC Meeting in London; Meglena Kuneva EU Commisioner (FAX: +32 229 95372)
Who said;
"I want to make sure that people everywhere can enjoy the same high levels of protection, through proper law enforcement. I want consumer organisations in the Member States to have adequate resources, and I intend to tackle those people wishing to cheat and defraud consumers, through good cooperation between national authorities."
A link for
Viviane Reding (FAX: +32 2 299.92.01)

For letters to Earl of Northesk, Lord Spithead, and Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer... Address of the House of Lords;
The House of Lords,
Westminster,
London,
SW1A 0PW
Old 14-06-2008, 09:16   #8855
Hank

Quote:
Only one other to add to Hanks check list (you beat me to it)

Attending the EC Meeting in London; Meglena Kuneva EU Commisioner

Who said;
"I want to make sure that people everywhere can enjoy the same high levels of protection, through proper law enforcement. I want consumer organisations in the Member States to have adequate resources, and I intend to tackle those people wishing to cheat and defraud consumers, through good cooperation between national authorities."
Good point sir. Written and posting 1st class. I'm absolutely aghast at the words used by the Baroness. It's like an advert for Webwise!!! Blinkin crazy, absolutely crazy. What was she thinking? Top marks to 'Kenty boy', he spun her well. To be fair, I suppose she does acknowledge the complexity in stating the age of them (the Lords) vs undersatanding the technicality and issues. But come on!!!

Get writing all...

Hank

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

Quote:
Only one other to add to Hanks check list (you beat me to it). This one is particularly urgent given the EC meeting in London on Friday at which I believe she will attend;

Attending the EC Meeting in London; Meglena Kuneva EU Commisioner (FAX: +32 229 95372)
Who said;
A link for
Viviane Reding (FAX: +32 2 299.92.01)

For letters to Earl of Northesk, Lord Spithead, and Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer... Address of the House of Lords;
The House of Lords,
Westminster,
London,
SW1A 0PW
I;m sending to this address:

Meglena Kuneva
European Commissioner for Consumers
Directorate General for 'Health and Consumers'
B-1049
BRUSSELS

Old 14-06-2008, 09:42   #8856
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Another link that may have so useful info.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ioral-ads.html
Old 14-06-2008, 10:48   #8857
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Kent must love the British Aristocracy, they are so wrapped up their own self importance and so sheltered from the real world with their wealth that it is like taking candy from a baby for him.

Maybe if all these high society members actually gave 1/10th of the time they give to businesses, to the general public (wha wha whaaaat!!! meet the people?!?!?!) they would actually have a fracking clue.

Next line of attack is for everyone who lives within range of a member of the aristocracy (especially if they are House of Lords peers) is to book an appointment to see them and don't take no for an answer.

Alexander Hanff
Old 14-06-2008, 11:15   #8858
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

i wish id known that before hand, i didnt ask if she has an email address, or perhaps she can ask her son to make her one

perhaps your next post can ask her...

i asked that she have a read of this thread to get informed , i wonder if she uses email and the web, we may get a visit if so....

http://www.writetothem.com/
"Your message may be slow to deliver, because we do not have a direct contact address for Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer. Instead we are sending the message via the House of Lords fax machine."
Old 14-06-2008, 11:30   #8859
Digbert
Inactive

Digbert will become famous soon enoughDigbert will become famous soon enoughDigbert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
i wonder if she uses email and the web, we may get a visit if so....

http://www.writetothem.com/
"Your message may be slow to deliver, because we do not have a direct contact address for Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer. Instead we are sending the message via the House of Lords fax machine."
Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer has a couple of email addresses here http://www.suemiller.org.uk/contact/
Old 14-06-2008, 11:48   #8860
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Kent must love the British Aristocracy, they are so wrapped up their own self importance and so sheltered from the real world with their wealth that it is like taking candy from a baby for him.

Maybe if all these high society members actually gave 1/10th of the time they give to businesses, to the general public (wha wha whaaaat!!! meet the people?!?!?!) they would actually have a fracking clue.

Next line of attack is for everyone who lives within range of a member of the aristocracy (especially if they are House of Lords peers) is to book an appointment to see them and don't take no for an answer.

Alexander Hanff
LOL Absolutely.

However... when I wrote my letter and re-read it after a break, I reminded myself of this: They are NOT MPs.

So they don't have expensive salaried secretaries etc (granted they might have in many circumstances great family or personal wealth).

So I re-worded a little. It's worth remembering that because they are not elected and not directly answerable to a consitiuent, they don't actually have to reply at all. So, I have shown courtesy but still made my point (she said it herself of course; they are, in the majority, out of touch with the current progress of technology)

Hank

Old 14-06-2008, 11:58   #8861
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Helped by a bit of inspiration from Alex, I've created an automatic MP letter generator. Simply enter your name, address, post code and a simple and direct letter about Phorm is written for you. All you have to do is print and send;

http://www.dephormation.org.uk/letters/

Source code for web masters; http://www.dephormation.org.uk/letters/letters.zip. (no copyright, feel free to use and adapt)
Old 14-06-2008, 12:15   #8862
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
jelv posted this before the David Davis resignation.

Why don't we put up a candidate in the by-election?

Do we have any anti-phormites in that constituency, or anyone with contacts that live there?

As far as I know we would need two people to second a nomination (resident in the constituency?) and a £500 deposit. There could be a load of publicity.

EDIT : Haltemprice and Howden is near Hull btw, I just looked it up.
If you stand in a by-election, then I think there's a small allowance for writing to voters, that's worth considerably more than the £500 deposit...

You need 10 people to second a nomination:-

http://www.electoralcommission.org.u..._N__S__W__.pdf
Old 14-06-2008, 12:21   #8863
Hank

Quote:
Helped by a bit of inspiration from Alex, I've created an automatic MP letter generator. Simply enter your name, address, post code and a simple and direct letter about Phorm is written for you. All you have to do is print and send;

http://www.dephormation.org.uk/letters/

Source code for web masters; http://www.dephormation.org.uk/letters/letters.zip. (no copyright, feel free to use and adapt)
Superb work

Minor possible improvement* - Add "Rt. Hon. " before MP's name in their address block on the letter ("Right Honourable" being the correct proper way to address them in the address).

(*Very minor possible improvement on something which does a great job)

Old 14-06-2008, 12:39   #8864
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Heya all, have been keeping up to date as a lurker I see the strength of feeling is still there!
Old 14-06-2008, 12:45   #8865
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
With apologies, ironically () to the Police:

Love IT!

If anyone is interested I am currently writing a new article summarising the last 4 months. The first 5 pages are available as a pdf here:

http://www.paladine.org.uk/phorm.pdf

I am about to take a quick break from writing and setup a gallery page on NoDPI for all these anti Phorm images, please let me know if I miss any.

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread