Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 03-08-2018, 14:10   #931
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Random questions on BT Sports 4K channel.

Do VM get Dolby Atmos as advertised on the BT adverts?

If so and if you do not have a 4K TV, do you get the Dolby Atmos feed (but obviously not the 4K picture)

Thanks in advance
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2018, 14:47   #932
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Random questions on BT Sports 4K channel.

Do VM get Dolby Atmos as advertised on the BT adverts?

If so and if you do not have a 4K TV, do you get the Dolby Atmos feed (but obviously not the 4K picture)

Thanks in advance
See the Atmos section on the 4K article in help:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...rgin-TV-V6-box
Old 03-08-2018, 19:58   #933
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
According to spiderplant, not very much of an increase. This is good news for when the UHD dramas start to come along. Hopefully, not too much longer now!

I have recorded two programs on BT UHD - both have taken twice as much space as the HD equivalent which I also recorded.

Have to say the down scaled UHD of the Burnley match was similar to the HD in early days before they started cutting bandwidth by compression ( and losing quality)
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 20:32   #934
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
A bit pedantic but there are and was hardly any 720p TVs on sale.

I was just meaning there aren't 1080i screens on sale, they are either below (720p) or above (1080p) the broadcast standard, capability-wise, as all the HD channels are 1080i.
Downscaled 4K would therefore be better than broadcast HD channels by whatever factor 1080p compared to 1080i, assuming downscaled 4K was done to 1080p.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 21:18   #935
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
See the Atmos section on the 4K article in help:

Thanks Ben, helpful as always
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 22:22   #936
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

I was just meaning there aren't 1080i screens on sale, they are either below (720p) or above (1080p) the broadcast standard, capability-wise, as all the HD channels are 1080i.
Downscaled 4K would therefore be better than broadcast HD channels by whatever factor 1080p compared to 1080i, assuming downscaled 4K was done to 1080p.
My point was, there were hardly any 720p screens. Most were 768p (1366 x 768)
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 23:04   #937
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
My point was, there were hardly any 720p screens. Most were 768p (1366 x 768)
I'm pretty sure I had one. It did a pretty good job of pretending to be Full HD though, the on-screen text interface phrased it like it was proper 1080p. (Actually come to think of it one of the other TVs here might be ) Most of the 720p screens these days are small kitchen types, but who am I kidding they might be the 768p you mention, I don't look at specs too closely, just whether it says Full/1080p or not.

Anyway I'll shut up now, I don't want to take this off topic any more.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:28   #938
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I'm pretty sure I had one. It did a pretty good job of pretending to be Full HD though, the on-screen text interface phrased it like it was proper 1080p. (Actually come to think of it one of the other TVs here might be ) Most of the 720p screens these days are small kitchen types, but who am I kidding they might be the 768p you mention, I don't look at specs too closely, just whether it says Full/1080p or not.

Anyway I'll shut up now, I don't want to take this off topic any more.
There was some about but not many at all. Most HD Ready TVs were and are 768p rather than 720p 1280 x 720.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 16:27   #939
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

No issues with the sound today on BT 4K

Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:46   #940
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Virgin TV UHD launches at 20:20 on Monday, September 17th on channel 999 it is available for Virgin TV Full House and VIP customers at no additional cost

Quote:
The upcoming schedule includes series such as ‘Start Up’ with Martin Freeman, ‘Masters of Sex’ starring Michael Sheen and political powerhouse ‘House of Cards’ as well as wildlife and nature documentaries set in Zambia and Vietnam, plus gigs from the Rolling Stones, Sting and Imagine Dragons.
https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.amppro...date-how-watch
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:20   #941
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Virgin TV UHD launches at 20:20 on Monday, September 17th on channel 999 it is available for Virgin TV Full House and VIP customers at no additional cost

https://www-express-co-uk.cdn.amppro...date-how-watch
Can’t say it’s not a good thing but in comparison to sky 4K offering it’s really really dismal

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...er-4K-Ultra-HD

Last edited by Ddonald2016; 10-09-2018 at 11:25.
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:38   #942
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Can’t say it’s not a good thing but in comparison to sky 4K offering it’s really really dismal[/url]
Everyone has to start somewhere.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

Also, official statement now online for the new channel:

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...t-channel.html
Old 15-09-2018, 12:45   #943
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Virgin TV Ultra HD added to channel 999 on the EPG

Monday 17th
8.20pm The Big Dry (New)
9.10pm Mysteries of the Mekong
10pm StartUp (New)
10.55pm The Rolling Stones: Havana Moon

Tuesday 18th
8.20pm The Big Dry (New)
9.10pm Great Parks of Africa (New)
10pm Shut Eye (New)
10.50pm StartUp

Wednesday 19th
8.20pm The Big Dry (New)
9.10pm Brazil Untamed (New)
10pm House of Cards (New)
11pm Shut Eye

Thursday 20th
8.20pm Alaskan Summer (New)
9.10pm Great Blue Wild
10pm The Art of More (New)
10.50pm House of Cards

Friday 21st
8.20pm The Big Dry
9. 10pm Undiscovered Vistas
10pm Masters of Sex
11pm The Art of More
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 16:14   #944
AdamDigital
cf.member

Services: VM V6 x 2. 500MB broadband.
AdamDigital is an unknown quantity at this point

Been looking at channels 999, 100, and the UHD teaser available via the Home button.

All 3 of these are flickering quite noticeably on my TV. Same happened when I tried to access Netflix UHD via V6. Netflix UHD on my connected TV was perfect. Both use same wifi connection. On V6, channel 555 is perfectly smooth.

So, two liner channels in UHD, one (555) is smooth, the other (999) is jerky.

Anyone any ideas why this might be?
AdamDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 17:22   #945
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDigital View Post
Anyone any ideas why this might be?
Try this checklist:
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote