Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Florida Shooting: 17 Students Shot dead in another Mass Shooting in the U.S

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Florida Shooting: 17 Students Shot dead in another Mass Shooting in the U.S

Old 15-02-2018, 00:48   #1
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Exclamation Florida Shooting: 17 Students Shot dead in another Mass Shooting in the U.S

BREAKING: 17 School Students shot dead in another Mass shooting in America....

https://news.sky.com/story/twenty-hu...chool-11250721

Quote:
Seventeen people have been killed, police have said, and an unknown number injured in a Florida high school shooting.

The attack began at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, northwest of Fort Lauderdale, just before 3pm on Wednesday afternoon, local time.

The school, which has around 3,000 students, was placed on a "code red" lockdown and television footage later showed dozens of people running and walking away from the school.
The Gunman is said to have used an AR-15 Rifle.

The Second Amendment is a major stumbling block and Trump needs to sort this shit out, a thing I heavily disagree with him on, nobody needs to own these powerful guns, just because it is covered by the right to bear arms.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2018, 00:58   #2
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Florida Shooting: 17 Students Shot dead in another Mass Shooting in the U.S

RIP.
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 01:03   #3
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Using Trumps logic arming teachers would be a solution to these school shootings. Crazy as it sounds it is more plausible than changing their gun laws. Sickening though that it has happened again.
Old 15-02-2018, 01:04   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
BREAKING: 17 School Students shot dead in another Mass shooting in America....

https://news.sky.com/story/twenty-hu...chool-11250721

The Gunman is said to have used an AR-15 Rifle.

The Second Amendment is a major stumbling block and Trump needs to sort this shit out, a thing I heavily disagree with him on, nobody needs to own these powerful guns, just because it is covered by the right to bear arms.
Agreed.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 01:39   #5
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

As this is Florida, the gunman will get the death penalty, it will be proven this is a pre-meditated mass murder attack.

There is Instagram posts of him bragging about purchasing over 100 bullets for $30. This is utter craziness.
Old 15-02-2018, 02:51   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I'm not sure what you think is crazy ?
If you are allowed guns then obviously you are going to have ammunition to go with them, most ammuntion tends to come in boxes of 50 rounds, and two boxes really isnt anything special.

As always here, its the person using the gun thats the problem, not the gun itself.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 06:08   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Using Trumps logic arming teachers would be a solution to these school shootings. Crazy as it sounds it is more plausible than changing their gun laws. Sickening though that it has happened again.
Even if they had far stricter gun controls these people will always get their hands on a gun sadly as we have very strict gun controls in the UK and that did not stop the Hungerford , Dunblane and other shootings.
Old 15-02-2018, 06:13   #8
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
If you are allowed guns then obviously you are going to have ammunition to go with them, most ammuntion tends to come in boxes of 50 rounds, and two boxes really isnt anything special.

As always here, its the person using the gun thats the problem, not the gun itself.
It’s the easy access to a gun that’s the problem in America. The fact that when Americans go buy a newspaper or milk, they can just nip next door, to the local Gun store, to buy endless supply of guns and ammunition, to suit someone whose in the military army. Just look at that guy in the Las Vegas incident, the amount of guns he had and the type, was ridiculous.

That’s what I find crazy. I love America as people may already know. I’m not dissing the Constitutional right to bear Arms, but when that right was granted over 200 years ago, I’m sure they did not have in mind the right to several powerful semiautomatic guns.

What I’m saying is that lawful right, is outdated, sure, it their culture, let them keep a gun, hand gun or whatever but not fast re-loading semi automatic rifles, that kill so many people in a matter of minutes.
Old 15-02-2018, 09:25   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

Problem is that in Florida, the gun laws are very loose - an 18-yr-old can buy an AR-15 in a private sale without a background check, and buy 100s of magazines/1000s of bullets without even as a driver's license.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 09:34   #10
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

This has moved Columbine down to the 5th deadliest school shooting.

They won't do anything. They'll offer prayers. They'll say it's 'too soon' to politicise the violence. They'll move on. The NRA will make sure any pro-gun senator/congressman is well funded in the mid-terms and anyone who votes for the mildest of background checks will face a well funded opponent.

If they weren't going to do anything when 20 children aged around 6 years old were murdered they're not going to do anything now.

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

What really highlights it all for me though was that if a Western country saw this level of death and violence at the hands of Islamic terrorists there would be far more action taken. America throws civil liberty after civil liberty away in that case. Why is it that terrorism has a far greater hold on the imagination that these shootings which, at least since 9/11, have claimed far more lives?

People say guns aren't the problem and that people are. This is true. But guns make it a lot easier. Besides if people are the problem then support tougher background checks. There is no bloody point to having politicians pontificate on television about mental illness and then making it easier for mentally ill people to purchase rifles!

Make it mandatory at federal level to have a waiting period and a background check, a registration system, ban the 'loop-hole' of having gun shows, make it illegal to have an unregistered weapon or a weapon with the serial number taken off it.

You have to have a licence and registration to drive a car. Have the same for weapons and manage this at the federal level.

Never mind though, looks like they're going to send their thoughts and players. That should do it.

Last edited by Damien; 15-02-2018 at 09:38.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 11:56   #11
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

As the late great Bill Hicks pointed out, the Second Amendment has been thoroughly misinterpreted.

To clarify, Article 2 of the Bill Of Rights states:

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed."

The militia in this context refers to the National Guard...and not to the general population. It does not say 'the people' have the right to bear arms. It doesn't say that at all. It means that the people in the militia have the right to bear arms, and implies the people have the right to form a militia in time of need (and to bear arms once they've done so) - it says nothing about anyone not in the militia.

But Americans apparently don't notice the all-important words before the comma, and thus assume a constitutional right which does not in fact exist.

Bill also pointed out that in America, where guns are readily available, there are many thousands of gun-related deaths every year; whereas in the UK, where guns are not so readily available, there are usually less than a hundred (well, it might be more than that now; Love All The People, from which I'm quoting, was published in 2004).

Correlation, anybody?
Old 15-02-2018, 12:05   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Unfortunately, the right to own guns is part of the American psyche, and I don't think it will be possible to change, to trying to remove that right is never going to happen.

However, what is possible (but the politicians are too scared of the NRA's political clout and funding to do it, I think*), is for appropriate rules and regulations to be implemented - you need training, licence, and insurance for cars, so why not for guns (with the appropriate remedies in place if you break the rules, just as there is for car drivers).

And before people say laws about guns won't stop people using guns unlawfully, why don't they apply the same statement to paedophilia, drunk driving, or robbery? It is never possible to completely stop law-breakers, but it doesn't stop the government trying with other crimes.

*the NRA spent $50 million dollars supporting the Republicans in the 2016 Election, with $30 million of that supporting the Trump campaign.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nrafunding.jpg (143.2 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Hugh; 15-02-2018 at 12:20.
Old 15-02-2018, 12:24   #13
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Why do they need guns ? To protect against everyone else that has guns ?? It doesn't seem to work.

Weird country, weirder people. I attended a wedding in Pennsylvania a few years ago, I was counting the days before I could come home, it was a alcohol free area full of ultra religious Amish , really should do my research before accepting invitations !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 14:10   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Why do they need guns ? To protect against everyone else that has guns ?? It doesn't seem to work.

Weird country, weirder people. I attended a wedding in Pennsylvania a few years ago, I was counting the days before I could come home, it was a alcohol free area full of ultra religious Amish , really should do my research before accepting invitations !
Have to disagree with you - it's a big country, with lots of different folks living different lifestyles; respect them, they'll respect you; one area doesn't give you a view on the whole country - that would be like visiting a small village in Cornwall (or inner-city areas in any large UK city) and using that as a stereotype for all Brits.

I've visited LA, San Francisco, San Diego (and points in between), Boston, Provincetown, and other parts of Massachusetts, New Jersey coastline and New Jersey inland (Summit), and they are miles apart culturally and socially. I love visiting New York, but also like visiting the small towns in Connecticut, but again, completely different ethos. Denigrating an entire country, and it's people, based on one visit, reflects more on you than them, imho.
Old 15-02-2018, 14:22   #15
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Even if they had far stricter gun controls these people will always get their hands on a gun sadly as we have very strict gun controls in the UK and that did not stop the Hungerford , Dunblane and other shootings.
Banning of Handguns came after Dunblane, how many maniacs have gone on a shooting spree with a handgun in the UK since?

Guns are available in the UK, but mainly shotguns. Either single or double barrel only, which if someone did go on a spree, like that guy in Cumbria a few years ago, really limits the number of people that could be hurt.

With a semi-or modified to full - automatic assault rifle, victims in double figures is easily achieved.