Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Catholic Church admits Bible is BS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Catholic Church admits Bible is BS
Closed Thread

Old 30-10-2021, 19:02   #166
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Catholic Church admits Bible is BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Just tried to give you an out
he will be quite proud of himself but that kind of pride is a sin
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2021, 19:11   #167
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Now you just sound petty….

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 30-10-2021, 19:13   #168
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Now you just sound petty….
I guess ya right, guess I am a sinner too
Old 30-10-2021, 20:46   #169
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
No I will let your reply to Russ do just that

We give all literature away for free. Witnesses donate what they want no plate no standing with a look at what I give, all anon. No one has been charged for a book in a long long time

on that note I will go watch some telly
There doesn’t have to be a cover price for it to be a money spinner. And there doesn’t have to be a receipt book at the back of the hall for it to be a wheeze. Cults often don’t have trouble extracting cash from their followers and the money to pay for all those thousands of publishing units around the world is obviously coming from somewhere. They are taking you for a ride. The other day you said you could “put it down” as witness, or a return visit, if you were posting on here. Someone somewhere is obviously keeping tabs on your performance as a JW.
Old 30-10-2021, 21:02   #170
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There doesn’t have to be a cover price for it to be a money spinner. And there doesn’t have to be a receipt book at the back of the hall for it to be a wheeze. Cults often don’t have trouble extracting cash from their followers and the money to pay for all those thousands of publishing units around the world is obviously coming from somewhere. They are taking you for a ride. The other day you said you could “put it down” as witness, or a return visit, if you were posting on here. Someone somewhere is obviously keeping tabs on your performance as a JW.

https://register-of-charities.charit...ancial-history
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 597532CA-38C2-444D-93DB-2A7431232C99.jpeg (53.4 KB, 30 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 30-10-2021, 21:12   #171
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
where does your church get its money for its upkeep ?

all the money as I have said on numerous occasions is voluntary and it funds everything. Bare in mine there are 8 million baptised publishers and most of the buildings are built by witnesses cutting a lot of costs.

You are just grabbing out at anything with your agenda to discredit us while I am more than happy to try to be a good Christian and not come back at you like for like. Your example does enough in itself

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

I choose to repohttps://thecounter.org/churches-usda-covid-19-food-boxes-boundaries-church-and-state/snd to this

That is less than £20 per baptized publisher

here is a little example of where some of that money went

https://www.fijitimes.com/churchs-re...ed-by-cyclone/

Here is another

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2017/...ane-aftermath/

and another

https://thecounter.org/churches-usda...rch-and-state/

I made sure these articles were not on JW.org as I know where you would go with that

Winesses were also involved in the clean up of 9/11 and every time our brothers and sisters suffer from a disaster we have teams ready to fly in a give aid/ It is very easy to paint a picture of how bad we are when all you have is the prejudice
Old 30-10-2021, 21:18   #172
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

all the money as I have said on numerous occasions is voluntary and it funds everything. Bare in mine there are 8 million baptised publishers and most of the buildings are built by witnesses cutting a lot of costs.

You are just grabbing out at anything with your agenda to discredit us while I am more than happy to try to be a good Christian and not come back at you like for like. Your example does enough in itself

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

I choose to repohttps://thecounter.org/churches-usda-covid-19-food-boxes-boundaries-church-and-state/snd to this

That is less than £20 per baptized publisher

here is a little example of where some of that money went

https://www.fijitimes.com/churchs-re...ed-by-cyclone/

Here is another

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2017/...ane-aftermath/

and another

https://thecounter.org/churches-usda...rch-and-state/

I made sure these articles were not on JW.org as I know where you would go with that

Winesses were also involved in the clean up of 9/11 and every time our brothers and sisters suffer from a disaster we have teams ready to fly in a give aid/ It is very easy to paint a picture of how bad we are when all you have is the prejudice
From your links…
Quote:
Members of the Jehovah’s Witness faith who lost their homes to STC Yasa are being assisted with newly-built dwellings.
Quote:
JEHOVAH’S Witnesses from the United States are in Grand Bahama helping their fellow members who were affected by Hurricane Matthew.
Quote:
When asked if the organization was distributing to Jehovah’s Witnesses only, Hendriks said that the organization also delivers food boxes to non-believers who attend bible study or services.
How very Christian - only helping members of your own Organisation, or those you can proselytise to…

Quote:
Religious groups distributing Covid hunger-relief boxes are praying with recipients, taping Bible verses onto flaps, and soliciting donations. Some of these practices may violate federal regulations.

Last edited by Hugh; 30-10-2021 at 21:24.
Old 30-10-2021, 21:26   #173
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From your links…

How very Christian - only helping members of your own Organisation, or those you can proselytise to…
hahahaha ok I wonder how many homes were built by other religions in the same circumstances . And bare in mind this is going on all the time
Old 30-10-2021, 21:36   #174
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Oh, I make no secret of it, our church building is maintained by our members. The mission societies are all paid for from donations. The hymn books, well those we had to pay for, as is the case with the vast majority of the resources we use. Not being a cult, we are free to buy resources from a wide range of different organisations. All Christian, of course; all in accordance with the basic creed that all down the ages has been a simple way of telling the difference between orthodox, historical Christian belief and cultic error.

I’m not criticising you for your voluntary funding - a whole lot of voluntary organisations are funded that way. I am simply pointing out that an organisation that only allows you to spend that money with a single network of approved suppliers, all of whom publish material asserting that organisation’s unique ability to interpret the Bible and correctly explain the end times, is at it.

Despite training for Baptist ministry I have had teachers from various denominations who gave out reading lists including authors who are Lutheran, Anglican, various shades of Pentecostal and even a couple of Catholics. One of the most useful books of my Trinity module was written by the former Pope Benedict; I was free to draw usefully from some of his work on the subject while disagreeing with some of his ideas about how churches are locally constituted by bishops (as a Baptist, I don’t have a bishop overseer as a Catholic priest would). No single organisation has had the benefit of supplying me with all my learning material. My learning is far more well rounded and solidly grounded as a result. My pet ideas and all of my denomination’s particular convictions have been challenged, and my understand of my faith strengthened.

The actual Christian church, in all its different denominations and despite its famous and sometimes highly unedifying disagreements about patterns of worship and governance, doesn’t need an approved suppliers network because no single denomination owns orthodoxy, yet all of them know what it looks like.

The Watchtower Society, on the other hand, claims it alone knows the truth and only allows you to acquire it from its own approved outlets. That, my friend, smells fishier than a fisherman in a fishmarket.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote:
hahahaha ok I wonder how many homes were built by other religions in the same circumstances . And bare in mind this is going on all the time
Actually it’s fairly typical for Christian missions to do disaster relief work without faith-based preconditions. Here’s one example:

https://www.bmsworldmission.org/ministries/relief/

Quote:
Through BMS relief ministries, every day, you are ensuring that desperate people get the help they need, no matter what their caste, gender or religion.
BMS is the Baptist Mission Society.
Old 30-10-2021, 21:41   #175
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

run by donations I assume

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

This is just one Baptist Church

Data for financial year ending 31 March 2020

Total income: £219,858
Total expenditure: £66,543

seems to be doing pretty well doesn't it ??

https://register-of-charities.charit...247/full-print

Do you get paid Chris?
Old 30-10-2021, 21:50   #176
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
run by donations I assume

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

This is just one Baptist Church

Data for financial year ending 31 March 2020

Total income: £219,858
Total expenditure: £66,543

seems to be doing pretty well doesn't it ??

https://register-of-charities.charit...247/full-print

Do you get paid Chris?
Yes - full time.

We may have cross-posted. Please see my (admittedly lengthy) post above, in which I explain that volunteer funded organisations aren’t the problem, but volunteer funded organisations that only allow you to buy material from their own approved outlets, are.
Old 30-10-2021, 21:53   #177
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Well, I’m a volunteer driver for our local C of E church’s Food Bank (I’m a "lapsed" Catholic, and do not attend Church services (except for family occasions, as my wife & children are C of E, and when I’m helping set up & broadcast/YouTube the Sunday Services for those who could not attend due to COVID restrictions, but currently for the elderly/infirm members of the congregation)), but the Rector & Church do not discriminate/prioritise by Church membership who receives the food parcels, or proselytise to those who do (much like our local Mosques & Sikh Temples).

Hope this clarifies things.
Old 30-10-2021, 21:59   #178
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, I’m a volunteer driver for our local C of E church’s Food Bank (I’m a "lapsed" Catholic, and do not attend Church services (except for family occasions, as my wife & children are C of E, and when I’m helping set up & broadcast/YouTube the Sunday Services for those who could not attend due to COVID restrictions, but currently for the elderly/infirm members of the congregation)), but the Rector & Church do not discriminate/prioritise by Church membership who receives the food parcels, or proselytise to those who do (much like our local Mosques & Sikh Temples).

Hope this clarifies things.
Yeah that is lovely

Thing is you have both clutched at certain aspects and I am sure your judgements on the society will not ever change no matter what I say. I found a few links to show where the money goes but that is not all we do. It is all good though I have attacked neither of you so I am fine with how it has gone

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Quote:
Yes - full time.

We may have cross-posted. Please see my (admittedly lengthy) post above, in which I explain that volunteer funded organisations aren’t the problem, but volunteer funded organisations that only allow you to buy material from their own approved outlets, are.
let me repeat we do not buy anything it is all free
Old 30-10-2021, 22:01   #179
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Yeah that is lovely

Thing is you have both clutched at certain aspects and I am sure your judgements on the society will not ever change no matter what I say. I found a few links to show where the money goes but that is not all we do. It is all good though I have attacked neither of you so I am fine with how it has gone

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

let me repeat we do not buy anything it is all free
Yes, you showed us the JW money and effort went mainly to other JWs, or to proselytise - well done, you…
Old 30-10-2021, 22:08   #180
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Yeah that is lovely

I’d quite like you to break free from a cult that has ensnared you. The Watchtower Society is a cult that, erroneously, claims it alone can interpret the Bible.

If you think that my putting the boot into an organisation that is more concerned with its own network of “baptised publishers” than your welfare is attacking you personally, well I’m sorry about that but I’m not stopping. I can only hope in time you acknowledge the distinction.
Closed Thread