Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 19:08   #4996
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Bruce Springsteen was right. He said there was 57 channels and nothing on. Even with 557 channels, there's still nothing on!
Bang on mate!
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2019, 22:48   #4997
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Now TV is a streaming service, I should point out.

Quote:
As I said before, if content is broken up between the streaming services, you don't have to subscribe to them all at once because you won't be tied into annual, 18 months or two yearly contracts. That gives you the flexibility to jump about and take advantage of the various deals that are going.
Just a caveat here Old Boy. Like you, I believe streaming is the future and all the facts point to that, but our opinions have been based on Netflix's way of doing things, which we have assumed would be the de facto standard of doing streaming. It may not be.

We already know now that there will be multiple streaming services from the likes of Disney, AT&T and others and based on snippets of info already released. We know that some of these services will not follow Netflix's way of doing things at all. Some services will have ads and some will be bundled as part of packages along with broadband. AT&T and Comcast are especially keen on this. Perhaps there maybe minimum contract periods, so lets wait for details nearer the launch of the services.

Disney et all has been forced into streaming, but they are not going to give up the old way of doing things immediately. We need to see how this all pans out and who the players will be, as I suspect there will be some major changes to come with regards to streaming services and the companies that provide them over the next few years.

Last edited by Horizon; 12-03-2019 at 23:03.
Old 12-03-2019, 23:44   #4998
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I've said before Horizon let's see how Netflix does when all these other services launch.

In my opinion it's whole business model has been to spend fortunes on content in the hope people will see it as essential enabling them to gradually increase prices allowing them to eventually cut back on the content spend as the library increases.

That's fine and works at the moment but will it when people have other places to spend money ? People will also be less resistant to price increases when there are many other places they can get content and on similar terms.
Old 13-03-2019, 13:36   #4999
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I said somewhere at the beginning of this thread that I didn't see Netflix surviving into the long term, but with millions of new customers each month, I'm not so sure now. It will take one hell of a effort for Disney or anyone else to catch up with them.

The problem with Netfllix is where is their killer content? Ok, they have (or did) have House of Cards, Stranger Things and Lost in Space. Disney has Star Wars, Marvel and Mickey Mouse and those brands have lasted many decades now.

I don't think anyone here would disagree that Disney (and others) will be a major player in the streaming world and we'll just have to wait and see what, if any, will be the knock-on effect on Netflix.

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I agree with a lot of what OB, says, the dozens of channels on Virgin and Sky are mostly garbage imo, if I didn't like football I wouldn't subscribe to Virgin, I'd just watch whatever I wanted on Netflix or Amazon, the footie is the only thing that keeps me with Virgin.
My issue with the channels is not the programming themselves, but quite often the lack of genuine choice.

An example I have used before is NCIS. This show is on at least three channels in the evenings and that excludes +1s and HD versions. That is not choice.

Streaming will replace the bulk of these channels as they exist to mostly to show archive material which can be better handled by streaming.
Old 13-03-2019, 14:08   #5000
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I said somewhere at the beginning of this thread that I didn't see Netflix surviving into the long term, but with millions of new customers each month, I'm not so sure now. It will take one hell of a effort for Disney or anyone else to catch up with them.

The problem with Netfllix is where is their killer content? Ok, they have (or did) have House of Cards, Stranger Things and Lost in Space. Disney has Star Wars, Marvel and Mickey Mouse and those brands have lasted many decades now.

I don't think anyone here would disagree that Disney (and others) will be a major player in the streaming world and we'll just have to wait and see what, if any, will be the knock-on effect on Netflix.[COLOR="Silver"]
I don't think you can compare those franchises. That's like comparing apples with oranges. The example you gave for Netflix are all TV shows. Most of the Disney ones would be movies.

Netflix does really well on the tv shows it makes and get rights for. Sabrina, Russian Doll, After Life are some recent ones. Lost in Space and Stranger things have new seasons airing later this year.

There is only so much life in a movie, where as a tv series can easily be watched more times and you can go back to episodes. Well for me that's the case.
Old 13-03-2019, 15:09   #5001
Horizon
Media Watcher

Even before the Fox acquisition (which completes next Wednesday) Disney had vast amounts of its own tv content. And from next Wednesday, it will have tons more.

I think with tv shows, you can get more into them than you can with films, simply because of the amount of episodes in a average American tv show vs a one off film.

But as for shelf life, Star Wars (the original ones) is still chugging along nicely and then there's all the newer films, almost like a tv series in fact.
Old 13-03-2019, 15:27   #5002
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think though Netflix has a lot of content now and a lot of varied content to appeal to all ages and types of people. Disney's own service might be more limited.

However only ti e will tell.
Old 13-03-2019, 15:36   #5003
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think though Netflix has a lot of content now and a lot of varied content to appeal to all ages and types of people. Disney's own service might be more limited.

It may very well have but it's still far less than that of Disney/Fox or Comcast/Sky.

How many shows advertised as Netflix originals have rights owned by another broadcaster also.

Last edited by muppetman11; 13-03-2019 at 15:47.
Old 13-03-2019, 19:10   #5004
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

I think you're right. Netflix's own library of original shows and films is huge now and growing almost daily. They've gone from nothing to being the biggest media company in the world, in what seems almost like a instant. They are still the ones everyone else has to catch up with.

As you say, we'll have to wait and see what Disney offer on their streaming services, but as their material won't be available on Netflix in the future and considering the fact that the enlarged Disney will make around a third of all American films and shows that comes out of Hollywood. And add to the fact that their archive will be immense and their rights to future stuff or remake older stuff is also immense, if they do streaming properly, they'll be right up there with Netflix or even eventually beat them.
Old 16-03-2019, 09:36   #5005
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp.../#17d0a07b2886

Interesting thoughts from Forbes.

Netflix has debt of $200 per subscriber. No wonder they’ve put their prices up.

I’m not predicting doom and gloom for Netflix but it clearly can’t exist in the “low cost” subscription model forever.
Old 16-03-2019, 09:45   #5006
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp.../#17d0a07b2886

Interesting thoughts from Forbes.

Netflix has debt of $200 per subscriber. No wonder they’ve put their prices up.

I’m not predicting doom and gloom for Netflix but it clearly can’t exist in the “low cost” subscription model forever.
The reckoning will come in time l suspect..
Old 16-03-2019, 10:28   #5007
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The reckoning will come in time l suspect..
Stumbled across that trying to verify if Netflix are indeed the biggest media company in the world. The evidence suggests they are not, with Comcast dwarfing Netflix by revenue, profits and market capitalisation. Other companies will be larger than Netflix across a range of meaningful metrics.

Comcast who own Sky, among others, who in turn operate the Now TV platform in the UK.

I can see Netflix doing the old debt for equity swap before being swallowed up by another media company.

Last edited by jfman; 16-03-2019 at 10:33.
Old 16-03-2019, 14:36   #5008
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

The likes of Comcast , Disney and Warner Media also have far more options available to them when it comes to monetising content in this respect Netflix is a one trick pony.

Theme parks , merchandise , advertising platforms are just a few examples.
Old 16-03-2019, 15:09   #5009
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The likes of Comcast , Disney and Warner Media also have far more options available to them when it comes to monetising content in this respect Netflix is a one trick pony.

Theme parks , merchandise , advertising platforms are just a few examples.
If they were to turn out to be significant issues, I am sure that Netflix could diversify their operations. I really think that those predicting the demise of Netflix are way off beam. They remain the best streaming service in the world to date.
Old 16-03-2019, 15:48   #5010
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
If they were to turn out to be significant issues, I am sure that Netflix could diversify their operations. I really think that those predicting the demise of Netflix are way off beam. They remain the best streaming service in the world to date.
Where does the money come from to diversify if they are $30bn in debt?

In any other sector this would be a business in distress. The shareholders are essentially hoping someone buys them because of their existing technology and customer base.

Larger companies with existing profitable businesses (and crucially assets to support their debt) like Liberty, Comcast or dare I even suggest Amazon could pull the rug from under a Netflix very easily if it was worthwhile. I suspect it isn’t, but it’s a precarious position.
Closed Thread