Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband/Telephone Connection - Help Pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband/Telephone Connection - Help Pls

Old 08-05-2011, 12:50   #1
wagstaf
Inactive

wagstaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Broadband/Telephone Connection - Help Pls

Good afternoon all.
Can anyone help with this problem:-
I have a BT master socket with ADSL filter. One side goes to phone. The other side goes to a wireless router.
When I plug the phone in it is fine. When I plug the router in, the dial tone dies and is not there.
I have tried taking off the front of the socket and using the one inside, replacing the filter, using a double adapter instead but same thing happens.
Any ideas please.
Thanks

W
wagstaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2011, 14:25   #2
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Broadband/Telephone Connection - Help Pls

So you've used the test socket and the same thing happens - correct?

Has it ever worked if so - what has changed?
Old 08-05-2011, 14:36   #3
wagstaf
Inactive

well....my missus hit the BT master socket hoovering yesterday and it didn't work after that.
I had a double adapter in the BT master socket connecting to
(a) a phone line, then filter, then cable to wireless router (as its someway away)
(b) a phone line, then filter, then phone.
It's worked ok like that for years.

So yesterday, since it was hit, I replaced the double adapter and have had the problem since then.

To make it simple, I have now placed just 1 ADS filter on the BT socket and plugged the router in one side and the phone line in the other.
Result is that it works with the phone/or broadband but not both.
Can't think what it can be. The BT has only 2 wires connected to it on A and B terminals so it's not that.
W.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:42   #4
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagstaf View Post
well....my missus hit the BT master socket hoovering yesterday and it didn't work after that.
I had a double adapter in the BT master socket connecting to
(a) a phone line, then filter, then cable to wireless router (as its someway away)
(b) a phone line, then filter, then phone.
It's worked ok like that for years.

So yesterday, since it was hit, I replaced the double adapter and have had the problem since then.

To make it simple, I have now placed just 1 ADS filter on the BT socket and plugged the router in one side and the phone line in the other.
Result is that it works with the phone/or broadband but not both.
Can't think what it can be. The BT has only 2 wires connected to it on A and B terminals so it's not that.
W.
you shouldnt be opening the back plate, its actually illegal

the front plate should be connected to 2 and 5, make sure they are in properly
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:02   #5
wagstaf
Inactive

Smile Re: Broadband/Telephone Connection - Help Pls

There are no wires leading to the front plate.

Four wires leading to backplate. Only 2 in use. Think they are blue and green.

That's how it was when I found it!
Old 09-05-2011, 14:55   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
you shouldnt be opening the back plate, its actually illegal
Illegal?? You sure??

More than likely to be against BT's T&C's with a threat of removal of services but you're suggesting that the police can arrest you for it??
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:13   #7
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Illegal?? You sure??

More than likely to be against BT's T&C's with a threat of removal of services but you're suggesting that the police can arrest you for it??
actually it is illegal, the backplate the OP is talking about is actually the frontplate, with 4 wires connected, the connections 2 and 5 are for phone/data, but the others are bell wires and can be removed, these will speed up your internet connection when removed
Old 09-05-2011, 22:33   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

There's a lot of conjecture as to if it is illegal especially as a lot of the EU directives have superceeded our own telecommunications act.

The original law was there to stop people intercepting telecommunications and nothing more.. Could you imagine the mess if it was illegal for anyone wanting to remove BT wiring from their homes, renovations, demolitions as all would need BT permission
Old 10-05-2011, 13:32   #9
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
There's a lot of conjecture as to if it is illegal especially as a lot of the EU directives have superceeded our own telecommunications act.

The original law was there to stop people intercepting telecommunications and nothing more.. Could you imagine the mess if it was illegal for anyone wanting to remove BT wiring from their homes, renovations, demolitions as all would need BT permission
im sure the amount of people who ask for permission to remove bt sockets is exactly the same number of peolpe who ask music and film producing companies if they can download their content illegally
Old 10-05-2011, 14:22   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
im sure the amount of people who ask for permission to remove bt sockets is exactly the same number of peolpe who ask music and film producing companies if they can download their content illegally
[off-topic]Yet breach of copyright isn't illegal as it's a civil matter.. Piracy though is illegal (selling copyrighted items for profit)

What many believe is "illegal" is not.. and downloading a film or music is not illegal though the companies can take you to court..[/off-topic]

The master socket situation is currently in a grey area even if "illegal" the police are very unlikely to do anything unless your intercepting communications which is illegal. All BT can do is throw their T&C's in your direction and charge you for a new socket or suspend your services