Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2021, 12:32   #6961
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The price of popcorn is surging.
Wanna go halfs on a hot dog ?
Old 13-08-2021, 12:44   #6962
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

I've just had my weekly food delivery and the only item out of stock was my popcorn. Guess there's quite a few people eating it when watching others using their right to post purposely contentious opinions.

On a secondary note. The young delivery guy was wearing a mask and did his very best to keep his distance whilst he placed our shopping in our hallway. Said he didn't want to put any of his customers in danger. Nice Man, I gave him a cupcake and a can of Coke for his thoughtful actions.
Old 13-08-2021, 12:49   #6963
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

My Asda driver this morning was plugged in to his earbuds and I had to ask him everything twice. It was like trying to get a conversation out of my kids.

For popcorn, we have a massive sack of kernels bought for end-of-year treats in June. There are many benefits to being married to a teacher.
Old 13-08-2021, 20:17   #6964
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m unsure why you are so keen for me to present what you readily admit won’t change your view, on a topic you’re bored with and eager to move on.

But if you insist this made the Lancet.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...978-8/fulltext

Will it change your mind? No. Have we achieved anything here? No. Will we be back tomorrow? Almost certainly.
The Lancet article is interesting, but it has made its conclusions before this is over.

The point really is that although countries such as New Zealand and Australia have gone for total elimination of the virus, their populations remain dangerously exposed to the virus, and without the vaccine, they are subjecting their population to lockdown after lockdown.

The only way they can maintain their current status is to get their populations vaccinated without delay. The lacklustre response by these governments to have their populations vaccinated is truly curious. The virus could still take off in these countries if the governments don’t step up.
Old 13-08-2021, 22:17   #6965
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I dont like popcorn.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 17-08-2021, 13:01   #6966
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

New Zealand going into snap full lockdown for three days due to ONE case (Auckland where the case was detected locked down for seven days, Coromandel also for seven days)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58241619
Old 17-08-2021, 13:04   #6967
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
New Zealand going into snap full lockdown for three days due to ONE case (Auckland where the case was detected locked down for seven days, Coromandel also for seven days)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58241619
Over reaction?
Old 17-08-2021, 13:07   #6968
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Over reaction?
Perhaps, or perhaps with only 20% of the population vaccinated they’re desperate for it not to spread (assuming it’s the delta variant)
Old 17-08-2021, 13:24   #6969
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The proof will be in the pudding whether NZ returns to an almost fully open internal economy and continues it’s successful rejection of “living with the virus”.

To date the most successful responses (in both health and economic terms) have been the hardest, earliest interventions - see the Lancet article linked earlier.

Some are desperately hoping for New Zealand’s failure to vindicate our atrocious response under the guise of “we couldn’t have done any better”. I, however, am absolutely rooting for them.
Old 17-08-2021, 13:34   #6970
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The proof will be in the pudding whether NZ returns to an almost fully open internal economy and continues it’s successful rejection of “living with the virus”.

To date the most successful responses (in both health and economic terms) have been the hardest, earliest interventions - see the Lancet article linked earlier.

Some are desperately hoping for New Zealand’s failure to vindicate our atrocious response under the guise of “we couldn’t have done any better”. I, however, am absolutely rooting for them.

Despite your explanation, I can't see why you'd be rooting for a country whose strategy is failing. One case is sufficient to order a lockdown when so very few people are vaccinated - a lot of people will agree with that.

But rooting for country (i.e. their government) that has failed to vaccinate its people (except out of pity) is nonsense.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 17-08-2021, 13:46   #6971
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

26 deaths and less than 3000 cases seems a fairly successful strategy, for a country with a population of 5 million.

They need to work on their vaccinations, though…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 17-08-2021, 13:50   #6972
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Despite your explanation, I can't see why you'd be rooting for a country whose strategy is failing. One case is sufficient to order a lockdown when so very few people are vaccinated - a lot of people will agree with that.

But rooting for country (i.e. their government) that has failed to vaccinate its people (except out of pity) is nonsense.

I’m more likely to root for a country that isn’t seeking to supplement vaccination with a few million infections in a herd immunity dice roll to be fair.

Plenty of countries have low vaccination rates in the absence of unlimited vaccinations. The question is whether any country can make their position sustainable between now and then. New Zealand appear on a much more solid footing that other countries in that respect.
Old 17-08-2021, 13:52   #6973
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I don’t see a way out for NZ unless the virus dies (totally closed bordets) or vaccination is complete.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 17-08-2021, 13:55   #6974
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I don’t see a way out for NZ unless the virus dies (totally closed bordets) or vaccination is complete.
Plenty of countries in that boat long term (including us).

The privileged among us aren’t going to go out and save Pret against a backdrop of hundreds of thousand of infections per week.

Pantsdown is out fear mongering again

https://t.co/vATdqlu3Vs (from the FT).

Last edited by jfman; 17-08-2021 at 14:00.
Old 17-08-2021, 14:42   #6975
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Their borders are pretty much shut until 2022, with the abruptness they're imposing lockdowns, and IF (big if) they can speed up their vaccine roll out they will should manage to keep this under control.