Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

Old 10-07-2020, 20:57   #16
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB
Re: New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Where are these blistering speed test results? I can't wait to see what 40tb/sec looks like
First thing I have discovered is I'm not getting my normal speed when in Modem mode.

Think it's time for a CS call
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2020, 21:00   #17
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
First thing I have discovered is I'm not getting my normal speed when in Modem mode.

Think it's time for a CS call
There's no reason why modem mode should reduce your speeds.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 22:02   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

He's a troll and this whole thread is a wind up.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 13:11   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

OMG I can't believe it To satisfy my curiosity I bought some Cat 8 so I could do my own test and see if there was any difference. I did before with cat 5e and after with cat 8. Everyone needs to get cat 8 for symmetrical 40gbits rfn. The upload is a bit off though and if it doesn't improve I am ringing customer services.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:24   #20
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
There's no reason why modem mode should reduce your speeds.
After speaking to the family about the BB before the install of the new router it was slow before.

So it looks like ive had slow BB for some time. ��
Old 12-07-2020, 13:54   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

Another ominous response. Are we supposed to guess what speeds you get in router mode and modem mode or we just staying with the ambiguous "slow"?
Old 12-07-2020, 17:44   #22
JMcB
cf.geek

Quote:
Another ominous response. Are we supposed to guess what speeds you get in router mode and modem mode or we just staying with the ambiguous "slow"?
I should be getting 5oomb I haven't got above 300mb in any configuration. 🤦*♂️
Old 12-07-2020, 18:01   #23
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

What speed do you get if you connect directly via Cat6 to the Hub?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 19:32   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
I should be getting 5oomb I haven't got above 300mb in any configuration. ��*♂️
Have you looked at the router config and checked to make sure you have been provisioned for 500mbits when you upgraded to the oomph bundle?

Your upstream will be the same as mine however your downstream will be a lot higher. I think it is provisioned at something like 575mbits so you should see 575000000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
and have you been doing the tests wired on a pc or wireless on a phone or old laptop?
Old 18-07-2020, 15:16   #25
JMcB
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The same, today when Tec support bead out we got 47mb to 140 something, but not 500 and not the guaranteed 258mb
Old 18-07-2020, 15:21   #26
JMcB
cf.geek

This is what I got...and thanks for you support 😉

Quote:
Have you looked at the router config and checked to make sure you have been provisioned for 500mbits when you upgraded to the oomph bundle?

Your upstream will be the same as mine however your downstream will be a lot higher. I think it is provisioned at something like 575mbits so you should see 575000000.

and have you been doing the tests wired on a pc or wireless on a phone or old laptop?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200718-151858_Chrome.jpg (172.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 18-07-2020, 16:27   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

thanks for the screen shot, can you do the same for the upstream and downstream tabs so we can have a look at your power levels. Can you also setup a TBB graph which monitors your connection. It will show us whether you have just got a slow connection due to something like congestion or if packet loss is causing it. The graph will look like this:

It is easy to setup, click this link. All of this information is helpful and will assist the tech in diagnosing the fault if they are uncertain as to the cause.
Old 18-07-2020, 18:47   #28
JMcB
cf.geek

Ok I've carated an account and set up and setup a monitor, hope this helps.

Sorry to ask but how long would you leave it?
Old 18-07-2020, 20:41   #29
General Maximus
Ran Away

The graph populates in real time and needs 24 hours for a full cycle. If you go back and check it now you'll see you have got about 2 hours worth on the right hand side. You can post it tomorrow evening once you have had a full day and we'll be able to immediately see if there is an issue. We still need the power levels and snr from your downstream and upstream tab, they look like this:

I am just here to get the ball rolling. There are more tech savvy peeps on here than me and there are also VM techs that are members of the forum. The sooner you get the info posted the better and then they can chip in and offer advice.
Old 18-07-2020, 21:57   #30
JMcB
cf.geek

I don't know but this doesn't look good

Last edited by JMcB; 18-07-2020 at 22:04.