Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wifi ok but no ethernet ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wifi ok but no ethernet ?

Old 29-03-2018, 22:16   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: wifi ok but no ethernet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemaden View Post
could this be due to a dns server i have on the amazon to enable me to watch kodi ?.
Possibly but before you faff around with your amazon box reconnect everything to the shub and make sure it all works properly and then we know it is the amazon box that is causing the problem. When you reconnect stuff you dont have to power down or reboot anything, just plug the cables back in to the shub.

As far as dns goes, one of the flaws of the shub is that you cant set your dns servers so they get handed down to the clients via dhcp, you need your own proper router for that. If you are manually setting the dns server on the amazon box try 8.8.8.8 which is google dns.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2018, 22:36   #17
davemaden
Inactive

davemaden is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm wondering if the new router has assigned a new ip address to the amazon box and I may need to reconfigure the new ip address in the configuration settings. Could this be right? Thanks
davemaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 22:46   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Possibly but the only way that would happen is if you overrode some type of setting from "automatic" to "manual" so you could specify the dns server. If you have to set everything else as well then the gateway will be 192.168.0.1 and the ip address can be 192.168.0.254. If the amazon box is set to receive everything via dhcp, which it will be by default, then you shouldnt have a problem. If you tell me what the name and model number is I'll see if I can find some instructions and what you should do.

Last edited by General Maximus; 29-03-2018 at 22:54.
Old 30-03-2018, 11:19   #19
davemaden
Inactive

im struggling to get the amazons to connect , it keeps making the hub loose internet connection and im having to use wifi again to connect my pc to the internet . is there a way to resolve this ? thanks
Old 30-03-2018, 11:37   #20
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

At least you now know what's causing it.

Did you change the amazon box DNS and does it still cause the problem?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 11:58   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
is there a way to resolve this ?
yes, you can give me the name and model number or at least paste a link to it because I have no idea what an "amazon box" is.

Quote:
it keeps making the hub loose internet connection and im having to use wifi again to connect my pc to the internet thanks
the hub isn't losing the internet connection, if it was non of the wifi connected devices would have internet access. The amazon box is causing the switch (Ethernet ports) to lock up which is preventing network connectivity for wired devices.
Old 30-03-2018, 12:01   #22
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
yes, you can give me the name and model number or at least paste a link to it because I have no idea what an "amazon box" is.

the hub isn't losing the internet connection, if it was non of the wifi connected devices would have internet access. The amazon box is causing the switch (Ethernet ports) to lock up which is preventing network connectivity for wired devices.
Hence my reply as I've seen it happen before although with another provider and different hub.
Old 30-03-2018, 12:11   #23
davemaden
Inactive

one of the amazons is playing now ok , using the dns settings , i think its one particular box that seems to be a problem . i will look later , as its doing my head in and need a break . thanks

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

@ General Maximus , you are right its the Amazon fire tv box that is causing the ports to switch off and then i have to use wifi .https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire.../dp/B00UH2O6T2

i have 4 of these boxes , one is fine with the dns , so i dont think its the dns thats a problem , one causes ports to switch off and i havent had time for the other two yet . thanks
Old 30-03-2018, 12:35   #24
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

OK go your own way I'll bow out.
Old 30-03-2018, 13:31   #25
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
one of the amazons is playing now ok , using the dns settings
what dns settings? VM's dns server which gets handed down by dhcp to the device or a dns server which you have manually configured? I have had a look at the instructions and they are useless. I am non the wiser as to what options are available in the network settings.
Old 30-03-2018, 15:03   #26
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if your "amazon box" is sending PAUSE frames repeatedly on the ethernet?

That would cause all traffic through the hub's built-in switch to stop if it supports them.

Someone had a similar issue with a smart TV and documented it here: http://jeffq.com/blog/the-ethernet-pause-frame/
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 15:12   #27
davemaden
Inactive

Its a dns server that i have manually entered , that seems fine as i have had it working and its not switched the hub ports .
Old 30-03-2018, 15:21   #28
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Something is crashing the ethernet, just connect one thing at a time untill the fault comes back
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 16:49   #29
davemaden
Inactive

i think it could be an ethernet cable , i have a couple of splitter boxes for the ethernet cables and it seems to be the cable in the bedroom that wont connect any of the amazon boxes to the internet , would a dodgy cable cause the ports to stop ? as i have had all the boxes working now in different rooms and the ports havent stopped when the amazons where working . thanks
Old 31-03-2018, 16:24   #30
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
i have a couple of splitter boxes for the ethernet cables
there are no such thing as splitter boxes and we specifically asked you right at the start how the devices were connected to the shub and whether you was using any switches and you said no, it was a direct connection. That of course didn't make sense when you said you had 4 Amazon fire tv boxes and a pc (plus whatever else) which makes 5 devices going into 4 ports on the shub.