Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Should I just be happy with this?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Should I just be happy with this?

Old 23-03-2018, 11:00   #1
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute
Should I just be happy with this?

Capture by ShadowTD, on Flickr

There's plenty worse connections out there, but when I want to use it (8-10pm) it's noticeably worse than the rest of the time. Gaming especially takes a hit and my upload seems very unrealiable around this time (Twitch streams will disconnect if I try anything over 2mb). Am I asking too much?

SH2ac in modem mode, Ubiquiti ER-X router.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-03-2018, 11:15   #2
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I just be happy with this?

It may be worth a post on the VM community forum to see if it is down to local congestion. They’ll take about a week to reply. If it is down to local congestion, unless it’s something that can be easily fixed, you’ll likely get a review date for in 3 months time, then another review date for 3 months later etc. That’s if it’s breaking the threshold for a fault to be raised. I don’t know what the threshold % is, I’ve asked a staff member before but they can’t/won’t tell me.

I sometimes get congestion randomly on my connection but I don’t see the minimum latency rise, only the average and max latency.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 09:02   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
I don’t know what the threshold % is, I’ve asked a staff member before but they can’t/won’t tell me.
because it has to be stupidly high for them to acknowledge it and do anything about it. Kush told me a couple of years ago and it is something like 80% utilisation for 90% of the time (or the other way around) Which means you area has to be pretty much maxed out all day for a month or so before they'll do anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post
lol, I have just looked it up and found this. It is very cheesey and funny but I am amazed Cisco haven't done them for it.

Last edited by General Maximus; 24-03-2018 at 09:09.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 16:47   #4
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

This is mine, on a Ubiquiti USG-3p, which is very similar hardware, with a SH3.0 in modem mode.

So it could be worse I guesss!!
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 17:54   #5
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
because it has to be stupidly high for them to acknowledge it and do anything about it. Kush told me a couple of years ago and it is something like 80% utilisation for 90% of the time (or the other way around) Which means you area has to be pretty much maxed out all day for a month or so before they'll do anything about it.
Seems a bit daft allowing it to get to that sort of level before doing anything. I know they’ve got to monitor areas before spending money to fix it, but when those fixes take quite some time to implement, it’s no wonder customers get annoyed. Would surely be better in the long term (at least from the customers perspective) to be pro active rather than reactive with capacity planning?
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 11:41   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
This is mine, on a Ubiquiti USG-3p, which is very similar hardware, with a SH3.0 in modem mode
that is a very interesting graph, it looks like you get a spike every 25 minutes. Have you tried another router or solely using the shub in router mode for troubleshooting purposes to see if it sill happens? What were you doing between 1900-0700 which stopped it? Have you got a server or a service running during the day which would cause the spikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Seems a bit daft allowing it to get to that sort of level before doing anything. I know they’ve got to monitor areas before spending money to fix it, but when those fixes take quite some time to implement, it’s no wonder customers get annoyed. Would surely be better in the long term (at least from the customers perspective) to be pro active rather than reactive with capacity planning?
yup, and to be fair I think they have changed their approach slightly. Back in ~2010 the network was in a terrible state because the only time they would do any upgrade work was when those thresholds were met and like you said, it would take another 6 months or so to plan and fix. I think the same parameters are in place from a fault identification point of view but over the last couple of years VM have definitely switched to a more proactive stance in terms of bandwidth and utilisation which has resulted in over subscribed areas becoming a thing of the past. If you were a member of the forum back in 2010 all you had were users complaining about utilisation, speed and customers on 60mbits getting 1 or 2.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 12:29   #7
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
that is a very interesting graph, it looks like you get a spike every 25 minutes. Have you tried another router or solely using the shub in router mode for troubleshooting purposes to see if it sill happens? What were you doing between 1900-0700 which stopped it? Have you got a server or a service running during the day which would cause the spikes?
I think it's due to the Puma6 issues to be honest. Before the last SH3.0 firmware update the whole thing was pretty much yellow.

I have various things running at home, but nothing that is off at certain times. My home server is on 24-7.

Some days are worse than others on the graph, but the connection is always perfectly usable and I don't have issues with it.

TBB say similar here:

Last edited by rtho782; 26-03-2018 at 12:33.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 13:26   #8
Tonydtiger
Inactive

Services: XL TV, Tivo, 152Mb, Phone
Tonydtiger is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post
Capture by ShadowTD, on Flickr

There's plenty worse connections out there, but when I want to use it (8-10pm) it's noticeably worse than the rest of the time. Gaming especially takes a hit and my upload seems very unrealiable around this time (Twitch streams will disconnect if I try anything over 2mb). Am I asking too much?

I've seen a lot worse, including mine :-)

Tonydtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 11:17   #9
TMLeafs
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Oomph Plus Extra Tivo (Three Total)
TMLeafs is on a distinguished roadTMLeafs is on a distinguished road

Wow yours all look great compared to mine

Using UniFi Security Gateway (3 Port) and SH3.0 in modem mode

Have Home automation (Samsung SmartThings) that probably isn't helping the Puma6 issues, downloaded a game on steam the other day hit 48.9MBps Peak. Playing PUBG or NHL 18 doesn't seem to be affected.
LG OLED55BX6LB, Onkyo TX-NR656 AVR, Cambridge Audio S70 L & R, Cambridge Audio SX-70 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 22 RR RL, PSB Imagine XA Atmos, S90 Subwoofer, PS3, PS4, Tivo V6, Nvidia Shield (2017), Apple TV & Logitech Harmony Companion

Last edited by TMLeafs; 17-04-2018 at 11:20.
TMLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 17:02   #10
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

.603 makes it look pretty at least.

JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 17:10   #11
linwelin
cf.addict

linwelin is on a distinguished roadlinwelin is on a distinguished road

>
linwelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 21:02   #12
kalleh