Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband speeds & Copyright 3 Strikes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband speeds & Copyright 3 Strikes

Old 24-04-2008, 12:48   #16
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers
Re: Broadband speeds & Copyright 3 Strikes

Personally I don't care whether VM implement this policy or not. It's the same as identity cards; if you're not doing anything illegal then there's nothing to worry about.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2008, 13:00   #17
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickendippers View Post
Personally I don't care whether VM implement this policy or not. It's the same as identity cards; if you're not doing anything illegal then there's nothing to worry about.
Yeah, it's not as though the copyright lobby ever get anything wrong...
"Anti-Piracy Blunder Shuts Down BitTorrent Tracker"
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 14:00   #18
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

That seems the fault of an individual web hosting company for failing to investigate. Anyway, if you've got 3 strikes then the chances of being falsely accused 3 times would be infinitesimally small.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 16:58   #19
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
That seems the fault of an individual web hosting company for failing to investigate. Anyway, if you've got 3 strikes then the chances of being falsely accused 3 times would be infinitesimally small.
With VM's management history, I would have said it was more than likely..You'll be telling me phorm is ok next!
NTLVictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 19:46   #20
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely with the European Parliment Voting against this, then there is every chance you would get it overturned in the European court of human rights. In which case the whole deal would fall flat as the government is also bound by that court too.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 21:40   #21
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Simple and to the point.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I doubt Virgin Media will be implementing any three strikes policy any time soon, the European Parliament already rejected the very principle of three strikes and your internet access is suspended. Not that Virgin Media has a problem interfering in customers civil liberties, but hey.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...s-vm-listening
For the sake of balance there would have to be a lot of re-writing of user policies by many ISP's throughout Europe, and who's to say this is not already being implemented. What the hell has the EU got to do with this.

BACK OFF BRUSSELLS!!
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 21:44   #22
Berealwith
Inactive

Berealwith is on a distinguished roadBerealwith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Its not the same as Identity cards, and i am not worried, "why should i be" ?
Berealwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 19:16   #23
abluegrape
Inactive

abluegrape is an unknown quantity at this point

"Will Virgin Media listen"

Fat chance, VM and listen do not belong in the same sentence!
abluegrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 19:33   #24
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by info4u View Post
4 Meg
What model of modem do you have? Could be failing if it's an old model.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 22:00   #25
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently 'Labour Always listens' as the headline in this news story states. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7369360.stm

I am aware that the story in the link has NOTHING to do with the internet but if Labour always listens then they should listen to the decison made by the MEP's.

I bet they don't though.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 00:16   #26
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
Apparently 'Labour Always listens' as the headline in this news story states. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7369360.stm

I am aware that the story in the link has NOTHING to do with the internet but if Labour always listens then they should listen to the decison made by the MEP's.

I bet they don't though.
Indeed, and its Brown's government that listened to President Sarcozy and offered to share information and ideas on how his (Sarkozy) plans to tackle copyright abuse could be realized by implementing an independant body with the authority to disconnect French subscribers who repeatedly abused copyright laws through their Internet connection.

The writing is on the wall, and the EU response to try and cover that writing with cheap whitewash and threats isn't going to change the fact that copyright abusers are on borrowed time.

For crying out load, how can disconnection of broadband for illegal activity be a breach of that persons civil liberties?

I wonder how much money the MEP's have taken under the table,....oops sorry I meant through legitimate expense claims to pass this particular faux pas!
Old 27-04-2008, 01:45   #27
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
For crying out load, how can disconnection of broadband for illegal activity be a breach of that persons civil liberties?
If there's evidence that an individual has committed an illegal act then the case should be decided in court.
Which the copyright lobby are seeking to avoid.
It's easy to see why. Just one excerpt (paraphrasing the defence lawyer in a US copyright case):
Quote:
Lybeck figures that with all the potential errors in IP addresses collected by MediaSentry, the RIAA has gone after thousands of innocent people. He thinks the addresses could be erroneous as often as 20% of the time, which would mean 8,000 people wrongly accused. He believes that many innocent people have been coerced into paying because they can't afford to fight the RIAA in court.
The proposed three-strikes schemes are plainly arbitrary and offer no realistic means of defence.
*That's* were our civil liberties would be compromised.
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 10:06   #28
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee View Post
If there's evidence that an individual has committed an illegal act then the case should be decided in court.
Which the copyright lobby are seeking to avoid.
It's easy to see why. Just one excerpt (paraphrasing the defence lawyer in a US copyright case):

The proposed three-strikes schemes are plainly arbitrary and offer no realistic means of defence.
*That's* were our civil liberties would be compromised.
Well, having seen how some of this evidence is collected, I am not sure the above quote is factually accurate. I appreciate that an innocent person may have a cause to complain, and there are catalogued instances where computers are compromised for that sole purpose. However if such an issue is brought to an Internet user in the first instance and they do not knowingly share rights protected material, it is in their interests to check the security of their PC/Network, and report back to the ISP anything they have found that could have caused this breach in the first place.

I agree that disconnection may be harsh, but a breach of civil liberty? No way.
Old 28-04-2008, 14:48   #29
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a good example of disconnection being against your civil liberties.
How about all the different companies that offer discounts for you to access your accounts & bills online, VM for example. Now imagine you innocently watch a film online or listen to music tracks online, the bands own websites often stream thier own songs. This process often involves the stream being downloaded as you are listening. I can see many people getting accused of downloading & being disconnected over this & thats where the civil liberties part comes in.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 15:09   #30
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
I got a good example of disconnection being against your civil liberties.
How about all the different companies that offer discounts for you to access your accounts & bills online, VM for example. Now imagine you innocently watch a film online or listen to music tracks online, the bands own websites often stream thier own songs. This process often involves the stream being downloaded as you are listening. I can see many people getting accused of downloading & being disconnected over this & thats where the civil liberties part comes in.
No again, I really don't think this applies.

You are not going to be chased by a rights holder for watching a free-to-air webcast or similar feed.

The issue is one of evidence, in that IP address A offfered by virtue of a connection protocal such as peer-to-peer or DC (Direct Connection - IRC Hub) to upload rights protected material to IP address B without express permission of the righhts holder. That is a breach of copyright, and is covered by nearly every ISP terms and conditions that you care to review.

Civil liberties do not come into this in my opinion. If they did, then why can a judge in the UK order a court injuntion against a convicted peado to ban access to the Internet, and the same applies also to a serial hacker? Isn't that a breach of a persons civil liberties?

I know its extreme, but it is just a matter of scale.

If the prevention of access to the Internet is a breach of civil liberties when it is proved that the activity that lead to the termination of services was illegal, then we have a whole new problem to deal with.