Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2014, 20:04   #706
nashmills
Inactive

Services: 500GB TiVo (TV M), BB 100Mb, Phone M
nashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Is anyone able to get Netflix in HD via their tivo box? I'm sure I used to get HD when it first started but the best I get now is 480 SD.
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2014, 23:37   #707
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmills View Post
Is anyone able to get Netflix in HD via their tivo box? I'm sure I used to get HD when it first started but the best I get now is 480 SD.
I think it depends whether the program is able to be streamed in HD. If it is able to be streamed in HD and it is not reaching HD then I think too many people will be watching Netflix and the network will be too busy for it to be able to stream in it HD.

Happy to be corrected by those more intelligent than meself.
Old 25-08-2014, 11:21   #708
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
I think it depends whether the program is able to be streamed in HD. If it is able to be streamed in HD and it is not reaching HD then I think too many people will be watching Netflix and the network will be too busy for it to be able to stream in it HD.

Sounds about right pal. Isn't there an extra charge for HD as well? Its 5.99 for one box and SD and 6.99 for multi boxes and HD? or is that completely wrong??
Old 25-08-2014, 11:40   #709
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It's likely to be caused by network congestion in your area. There's an ongoing programme of work to alleviate these local issues.

Do you get HD if you try outside peak hours?
Old 25-08-2014, 11:48   #710
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Sounds about right pal. Isn't there an extra charge for HD as well? Its 5.99 for one box and SD and 6.99 for multi boxes and HD? or is that completely wrong??
I think those are the new prices vince £5.99 for sd, £6.99 for 2 devices at once and HD and £8.99 for upto 4 devices at once and HD.
I might be wrong though as i'm on £5.99 for hd and 2 devices at once until 2016 due to already having a sub when the new prices came into effect.
Old 25-08-2014, 12:38   #711
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post

I have actually stopped watching Netflix thru my TiVo due to this problem find I get hd all time thru my ps3
Old 25-08-2014, 17:20   #712
nashmills
Inactive

nashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's likely to be caused by network congestion in your area. There's an ongoing programme of work to alleviate these local issues.

Do you get HD if you try outside peak hours?
I have tried it at different times and it's still the same.

I get a much better picture on my Apple TV but I would like to enjoy the extra quality that Dolby Digital Plus audio brings to the TiVo.

I have a Chromecast which gives me DD+ audio and HD picture but to use it I have to unplug the Apple TV which is used for other things.

I assume the internal 10Mb modem can't cope?
Old 25-08-2014, 17:54   #713
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Working fine here - after a minute the definition is to "1080 Super HD"

I would get your signal levels for TiVo checked.
Quote:
Old 25-08-2014, 17:58   #714
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, I'm very pleased with the performance of Netflix on my TiVo. Much better than the BBC I-player, although touch wood, this has been better lately. If I were you, I'd tell Customer Services about this problem. They might just be able to sort it.
Old 25-08-2014, 18:23   #715
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
. I get a much better picture on my Apple TV but I would like to enjoy the extra quality that Dolby Digital Plus audio brings to the TiVo.
Apple TV should give standard 5.1 DD. Personally, I would be surprised if you could tell any significant difference between that and DD+.

The main reason that streaming services use DD+ is that they can lower the bit rate to get the same audio quality as regular DD (and, also, 7.1 is possible with DD+).

It is possible that the servers that Netflix use to feed the Apple TV's is sending the regular DD at a higher bitrate than they send DD+ to for other devices, as Netflix produce about 99 different encodes for any given title to accommodate different devices and resolutions.
Old 25-08-2014, 22:05   #716
nashmills
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Apple TV should give standard 5.1 DD. Personally, I would be surprised if you could tell any significant difference between that and DD+.

The main reason that streaming services use DD+ is that they can lower the bit rate to get the same audio quality as regular DD (and, also, 7.1 is possible with DD+).

It is possible that the servers that Netflix use to feed the Apple TV's is sending the regular DD at a higher bitrate than they send DD+ to for other devices, as Netflix produce about 99 different encodes for any given title to accommodate different devices and resolutions.
It does appear to sound better but maybe it's just different.
Old 26-08-2014, 19:40   #717
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

It sounds better, DD+ is a much more efficient codec for streaming then DD and the bit rate can be a lot higher.
Old 27-08-2014, 01:20   #718
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
It sounds better, DD+ is a much more efficient codec for streaming then DD and the bit rate can be a lot higher.
But that isn't what happens in reality; I think you will find that Netflix have reduced the audio bitrate (can't find the source I read for that ATM). That is, they've used the efficiency of the DD+ codec to reduce file size rather than improve audio quality.

And, as I said, the stream that Netflix use to feed the Apple TV could use an equivalent quality regular DD stream to the streams sent to DD+ devices. So just because the Apple TV gets DD rather than DD+, it does not follow that it doesn't sound as good.
Old 27-08-2014, 15:38   #719
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Reducing file size doesn't necessarily mean that the quality has been redunced, flac reduces file size but is bit for bit copy of the original, MPEG4 produces file sizes that are smaller then MPEG2 but the quality is far superior. I don't know if they are reducing the file size but the DD+ mixes through my AV amp sound better then the normal DD ones.
Old 27-08-2014, 19:55   #720
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
the DD+ mixes through my AV amp sound better then the normal DD ones.
Using the same AV amp and speakers, are you able to compare the same Netflix title via an Apple TV giving 5.1 DD and another similar Netflix device that outputs 5.1 DD+? That is the only way to properly compare.

it would be interesting to know the result, because given that Netflix feed the Apple TV different streams to those used on other Netflix DD+ capable devices, I can see no reason why Netflix can't enable the same sound quality. Otherwise, I imagine there would be a lot disgruntled Apple TV users if Netflix audio quality for them was inferior to other Netflix devices.
Closed Thread