Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Black Lives Matter

Old 30-06-2020, 10:13   #856
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think you misunderstand. I am referring to 'the police' as an organisation. I agree there are good and bad individuals within it, but the US police forces are remarkably undisciplined and do not adequately enforce any rigid code of behaviour on how to deal with the public. If they have any equal opportunities training, it is completely ineffective. Bad apples can just transfer to other areas with impunity.

Considering the police forces in the US are armed, the way they are managed is alarming.
Agreed. There’s little to no accountability, reinforcing a belief that they can act with impunity with little or no consequences.

The police officer who murdered George Floyd did so in public, in front of witnesses and on camera. Clearly confident he could get away with it. That’s not a “bad” police officer, that’s structural.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2020, 12:07   #857
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Agreed. There’s little to no accountability, reinforcing a belief that they can act with impunity with little or no consequences.

The police officer who murdered George Floyd did so in public, in front of witnesses and on camera. Clearly confident he could get away with it. That’s not a “bad” police officer, that’s structural.

get away with doing his job as prescribed?

To be honest, I don't know why anyone would want to be a police officer in the USA . . the dangers they face are appalling. A simple traffic stop can get you shot, going to a domestic incident can get you shot, serving a warrant can get you shot, responding to a burglary can get you shot.

Add to that all the stuff like drug busts, store robberies, drive by shootings, ambushes, car jackings, hostage situations . . . it's an endless list where letting your guard down for a second . . no matter what the circumstances are . . can see you or an innocent bystander carried away in a body bag.

And when the brown stuff hits the fan you're in front of the 'public jury' that forget all that
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 12:26   #858
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Living in America can get you shot. It’s all relative.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 12:57   #859
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's not the best song i've ever heard but shooting ...................
Old 30-06-2020, 13:27   #860
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
get away with doing his job as prescribed?

To be honest, I don't know why anyone would want to be a police officer in the USA . . the dangers they face are appalling. A simple traffic stop can get you shot, going to a domestic incident can get you shot, serving a warrant can get you shot, responding to a burglary can get you shot.

Add to that all the stuff like drug busts, store robberies, drive by shootings, ambushes, car jackings, hostage situations . . . it's an endless list where letting your guard down for a second . . no matter what the circumstances are . . can see you or an innocent bystander carried away in a body bag.

And when the brown stuff hits the fan you're in front of the 'public jury' that forget all that
This is vastly overhyped, due to people believing that the films/tv reflect reality (they don't).

Whilst it is terrible that anyone is killed in the line of duty, the average is around 64 per year in the whole USA - there were 185 "Line of Duty" deaths in 2018, of which gunfire was 52 (in the same year, 46 died of 9/11 related cancer).

In Minnesota, where George Floyd was killed, 3 officers (2 of which were Prison Officers, 1 was DHS) died in 2018 - 1 from heart attack, 1 from assault, and one from a car crash.

In 2017, 1 Police Officer was killed by a driver under the influence of drugs (whilst the Officer was clearing debris off the road).

No officers were killed in the Line of Duty in 2016

2015, 1 Police Officer was shot and killed whilst guarding a prisoner in a hospital, who had taken the Officer's gun off him

2014, 1 Police Officer was killed by gunshot wounds

Again, whilst it is terrible that officers die this way, there were 2 killings by guns of Police Officers in Minnesota over a 5 year period - not exactly an everyday occurrence.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 13:30   #861
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You should work for the tourist board.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 14:18   #862
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
<snip>

Again, whilst it is terrible that officers die this way, there were 2 killings by guns of Police Officers in Minnesota over a 5 year period - not exactly an everyday occurrence.
That's a very good statistic, which when you think about it, is probably due to the police using force to disarm and restrain (probably even shoot and kill) crazed drug fuelled nutters waving a gun around in public for example.

I think if the police played 'nice', there would be a lot more killed.

I know I'm the sort that would shoot first and question later . . . which is why I decided a career in the forces was not for me

oh, and if people arrested (or told to stop) by police just stopped instead of running/fighting/resisting, police probably wouldn't have to escalate things.

cue people saying "they resist because they know what's going to happen"
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 16:48   #863
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
This is vastly overhyped ...
As is the myth you are likely to die when being arrested.

How many arrests are there in the US ?
The last figures I could find (for 2018) was over 10 Million per year.

Arrest related deaths seem harder to find figures for, but appears to be around 600 - 800 per year.

If you go with the higher figure, then 800 out of 10,000,000 is 0.008%
So you have far more chance of dying from any one of many other causes.

Of course, if you didnt break the law, and resist when arrested, then the problem would cease to exist.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 16:56   #864
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Of course, if you didnt break the law, and resist when arrested, then the problem would cease to exist.
I don't know if it's as cut-and-dried as that. But for a light-hearted look at a serious subject, do a YouTube search for "Chris Rock, how not to get your ass kicked by the police".

I won't link to it as it's NSFW and contains several F-bombs but it's interesting...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:25   #865
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I don't know if it's as cut-and-dried as that. But for a light-hearted look at a serious subject, do a YouTube search for "Chris Rock, how not to get your ass kicked by the police".

I won't link to it as it's NSFW and contains several F-bombs but it's interesting...
This one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
A public service film for our oppressed friends

https://youtu.be/uj0mtxXEGE8

Jimmy-J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:55   #866
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

OMG, he is funny - the snowflakes will have a meltdown

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:09   #867
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

https://www.facebook.com/33178651017...06432879998625

This is another one..
Old 01-07-2020, 10:26   #868
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

As you may not be aware (as the press seems intent on burying all stories about this) a number of BLM and antifa have took over a small area of Seattle and expelled all state law enforcement. Various things have been happening over the last few weeks there, but yesterday two teenagers went joyriding in a car and both were shot with one dying:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53224445
Old 01-07-2020, 10:44   #869
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
As you may not be aware (as the press seems intent on burying all stories about this) a number of BLM and antifa have took over a small area of Seattle and expelled all state law enforcement. Various things have been happening over the last few weeks there, but yesterday two teenagers went joyriding in a car and both were shot with one dying:
12th June
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-...eporting-story

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...ttle-v78wqtbcq

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...ttle-zzrvhcp70

23rd June

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9580491.html

30th June
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:45   #870
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
It's a bigger story in America than here. I have heard of it several times but largely though American news outlets, that's the first British source i have seen on it.

I mean what else is there to say but that's it crazy.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote