Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need help/advice urgently

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need help/advice urgently

Old 04-07-2010, 11:33   #1
triofria
Inactive

triofria is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Need help/advice urgently

I had an Orange contract phone that I didnt need, so i gave it to a close relative (he cant get a contract) and agreed I would pay the bill as long as it wasnt too much. Everything went well for a month or two.

But! Ive just found out that this relative has signed up for a new contract with Virgin Mobile USING MY NAME AND BANK DETAILS! The same amount is going out via direct debit as before, so I didn't even notice anything! Christ knows where he got my bank account details from. I feel completely used and stupid.

What should I do (apart from give him a thump!!)? I haven't spoken to Virgin yet, as I do not know what they will do if I tell them what has happened (its fraud, isn't it? police?). I suspect they wont want to know, especially as they gave him an expensive new phone.

Am I stuck with this account for the next 12 months?
triofria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2010, 12:56   #2
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
Re: Need help/advice urgently

If it was me, I'd be calling the police and Virgin. You shouldn't allow him to get away with such a breach of trust.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:59   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

First thing you do is ring up your bank and cancel the direct debit and play merry hell with them as this was not authorised by yourself.. Also ask for them to claim back all payments made under that direct debit.

Then personally I'd call the police (local number and not the 999 number) and report it to them as that will then give you a crime number which will help you in the future regarding this matter (i.e.. credit rating..etc..) also call virgin reporting to them that someone has used your details without permission quoting to them the crime number
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 13:49   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
First thing you do is ring up your bank and cancel the direct debit and play merry hell with them as this was not authorised by yourself.. Also ask for them to claim back all payments made under that direct debit.

Then personally I'd call the police (local number and not the 999 number) and report it to them as that will then give you a crime number which will help you in the future regarding this matter (i.e.. credit rating..etc..) also call virgin reporting to them that someone has used your details without permission quoting to them the crime number
Cancelling the direct debit may give the OP a bad credit rating. I'd go with the rest though
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 13:53   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The credit rating shouldn't be effected if it's unauthorized, hence the claim-back and the police report/crime number
Old 04-07-2010, 14:05   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

He would have to prove it and then get the marks removed from his credit record which is not always easy to do.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 14:22   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Still I assume he is still recieving the money for the virgin mobile from the relative so there is no point risking the hassle of going round the big 3 credit agencies to get adjustments.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 15:07   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by triofria View Post
I had an Orange contract phone that I didnt need, so i gave it to a close relative (he cant get a contract) and agreed I would pay the bill as long as it wasnt too much. Everything went well for a month or two.

But! Ive just found out that this relative has signed up for a new contract with Virgin Mobile USING MY NAME AND BANK DETAILS! The same amount is going out via direct debit as before, so I didn't even notice anything! Christ knows where he got my bank account details from. I feel completely used and stupid.

What should I do (apart from give him a thump!!)? I haven't spoken to Virgin yet, as I do not know what they will do if I tell them what has happened (its fraud, isn't it? police?). I suspect they wont want to know, especially as they gave him an expensive new phone.

Am I stuck with this account for the next 12 months?
It's fraud, plain and simple, and as there is no way to back out of the contract without also revealing that it was fraudulently created, you have little option but to either keep paying it for 12 months, or drop your relative in a world of doo-doo.

Pity, but sadly sometimes, some people just can't be helped. I'm afraid if it were me there's absolutely no way I would contemplate letting him get away with it, as he has shown himself willing and able to do it so there's nothing to stop him doing it again.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 15:11   #9
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well if it was MY relative I'd certainly let the rest of the family KNOW just in case he makes a habit of this especially if there are any elderly vulnerable relatives to be considered.If he's done it once he may try again.
Old 04-07-2010, 16:55   #10
triofria
Inactive

triofria is an unknown quantity at this point

If I inform the police they will probably caution him wont they? Or arrest him? He has never done anything like this before (I talked to all my family and they are shocked) so I dont really know what to do.

Im just going to have to make sure he pays me every month - if he doesn't there isnt much I can do.

Thanks for all the advice, its appreciated.

T.D.
triofria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 16:58   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Sorry to say but when someone like this gets away with it once there's always a high probability that they'll do it again, whether it be to you or someone else in the family. As such you're letting him get away with identity fraud
Old 04-07-2010, 17:07   #12
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
If I inform the police they will probably caution him wont they? Or arrest him? He has never done anything like this before (I talked to all my family and they are shocked) so I dont really know what to do.

Im just going to have to make sure he pays me every month - if he doesn't there isnt much I can do.

T.D.
For goodness sake don't be so silly, this person only has to default for 30 days, and this will automatically bork your credit rating. If that happens expect:

Refusal for new credit.
Review of your credit status with any credit cards you may have, and expect a rise in interest APR.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 17:08   #13
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

T.D.
He'll be arrested.
First offence he MIGHT get a caution, it really depends on CPS, identity theft (which is what this is) is looked at pretty seriously though.

If he doesn't get a caution then it'd likely be a conditional discharge, failing that community service.

Don't just let him pay, and definitely don't think "if he doesn't there isn't much I can do" because he WILL take advantage of you again in future. It might just be a phone contract now, but what about when his TV breaks down and he needs to get a new one and decides to get one on finance in your name?

There's a reason he can't get a contract in his own name, his bad credit history shows that he isn't going to keep up the payments. Deal with it NOW before it gets to that else when it does you're going to have to answer all sorts of questions on why you didn't sort it out sooner.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:01   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

T.D.
On your own head ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote