Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 08-02-2004, 11:59   #151
mdean
Inactive

Services: NTL BB TV phone freeview and Sky TV(not subscribed) supporter of http://logofreetv.org/
mdean is on a distinguished roadmdean is on a distinguished road
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by th'engineer
Thought we had done that and agreed Sky is better
I would like to see where this was 'agreed' I have my old sky box and NTL and ntl is a better package in lots of ways

1) Premiership plus only £12 per year (£40+ on $ky)
2) NTL really quick to change packages and effect reduced costs straight away
3) No red dot on sky sports - as a supporter of www.logofreetv.org that is a big plus for NTL
4) You can customise your own menu to get channels in the order which you want
5) Overalll cheaper for the phone tv BB package so a good choice which works for me
Not to say I would not move. The lack of ability to use 3rd party phone sellers is a pain - and if sky dumped the red dot I could go back
mdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2004, 13:06   #152
trebor
Inactive

Services: DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
trebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdean
I would like to see where this was 'agreed' I have my old sky box and NTL and ntl is a better package in lots of ways

3) No red dot on sky sports - as a supporter of www.logofreetv.org that is a big plus for NTL
5) Overalll cheaper for the phone tv BB package so a good choice which works for me
Not to say I would not move. The lack of ability to use 3rd party phone sellers is a pain - and if sky dumped the red dot I could go back

sky is miles better than ntl
1) I don't watch sport
2)sky package changes are instant (non of this you will have to pay until the end of month)
3) No red dot on sky sports (because I don't watch it)
4) you can customise your on menus (favorites)
5)with sky, bt and adsl I get loads more movie channels and I am saving £6 a month. also the services work, which ntl's never did.
sky wins NTL suck
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 18:00   #153
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:

I assume you not one of the thousands of people stuck in an analogue only area that ntl refuse to upgrade yet charge the same money for, and I disagree on the cheaper part.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 18:05   #154
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I disagree on the cheaper part.
Especialy when you can get a 2Mbit ADSL service for the price of Ntl's 1Mbit
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 20:29   #155
mdean
Inactive

Services: NTL BB TV phone freeview and Sky TV(not subscribed) supporter of http://logofreetv.org/
mdean is on a distinguished roadmdean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor
sky is miles better than ntl
1) I don't watch sport
2)sky package changes are instant (non of this you will have to pay until the end of month)
3) No red dot on sky sports (because I don't watch it)
4) you can customise your on menus (favorites)
5)with sky, bt and adsl I get loads more movie channels and I am saving £6 a month. also the services work, which ntl's never did.
sky wins NTL suck
1)Sorry but it is with sky you pay to the end of the month if you cancel something- with Ntl it happened straight away
2) 20 favorites and toggle thro' using the blue on sky versus actually organising them in the order you want - you are having a laugh
3) Ok the red dot is most annoying on sky sports- but it infests all $ky output because they are desparate to get you spending £400 pa
4) What 'loads more movie channels'- the same sky movie channels are on Ntl, the same film 4 and its channels and even the same tcm

I cant see how like for like you are saving anything if you have to pay bt's 9.50 line rental which is free with NTL (if you take tv)

As for the services work.. well the box crashes every now and then - but so do all three sky boxes I have had - other than that - you press the button and the red dot free picture emerges

NTL win easily ....for now
mdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 21:16   #156
tkiely
Inactive

tkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to alltkiely is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to tkiely

Quote:
1)Sorry but it is with sky you pay to the end of the month if you cancel something- with Ntl it happened straight away
Trouble is, if you dare to change your package you invoke the House elfs and dementors ( to borrow from Harry Potter) who work in accounts. They magic up some devilish computation which is meant to represent the proportion of the mths service you have used/what you need* however much they need to multiply it by to confuse even stephen hawking!
tkiely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 23:36   #157
trebor
Inactive

Services: DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
trebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud of

Quote:
2) 20 favorites and toggle thro' using the blue on sky versus actually organising them in the order you want - you are having a laugh
3) Ok the red dot is most annoying on sky sports- but it infests all $ky output because they are desparate to get you spending £400 pa
4) What 'loads more movie channels'- the same sky movie channels are on Ntl, the same film 4 and its channels and even the same tcm

I cant see how like for like you are saving anything if you have to pay bt's 9.50 line rental which is free with NTL (if you take tv)

As for the services work.. well the box crashes every now and then - but so do all three sky boxes I have had - other than that - you press the button and the red dot free picture emerges

NTL win easily ....for now

1) LOL you are joking, NTL wanted us to pay for the month after they came and collected the stb. with sky we just rang them and said remove the sports package and they did, it was gone. we spent 6 months trying to get NTL to remove a package. sky win that one no questions.

2) don't know about the 20 favorites I have not run out of slots in the personal planner yet.

3) the red dot has not annoyed me yet. where as NTL's red button never worked.

4) movie channels, we now have at least 12 (I ain't counted them all) we didn't have any with NTL except front row pay stuff. the sky tv package have does cost less than we were paying NTL.

when we had ntl tv. phone and broadband the bill was £80 a month when they could get it right, the phone was the only part that always worked as it should.
now got pipex, sky and BT
pipex £24 a month
sky £34 a month
bt £16 a month (payment plan)
total £74 a month, £6 cheaper than NTL and we get a service that works and includes a lot more channels and double the upload of ntl.

I don't care what you say this is my reality, sky win hands down
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 13:14   #158
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
1) LOL you are joking, NTL wanted us to pay for the month after they came and collected the stb. with sky we just rang them and said remove the sports package and they did, it was gone. we spent 6 months trying to get NTL to remove a package. sky win that one no questions.

2) don't know about the 20 favorites I have not run out of slots in the personal planner yet.

3) the red dot has not annoyed me yet. where as NTL's red button never worked.

4) movie channels, we now have at least 12 (I ain't counted them all) we didn't have any with NTL except front row pay stuff. the sky tv package have does cost less than we were paying NTL.

when we had ntl tv. phone and broadband the bill was £80 a month when they could get it right, the phone was the only part that always worked as it should.
now got pipex, sky and BT
pipex £24 a month
sky £34 a month
bt £16 a month (payment plan)
total £74 a month, £6 cheaper than NTL and we get a service that works and includes a lot more channels and double the upload of ntl.

And you cant argue with that
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 13:31   #159
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

And there was me thinking that this was a thread about ADSL......
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 13:44   #160
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<snip>

Could that've been cos you weren't subscribed to any movie channels??

Quote:

In your opinion...
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 13:59   #161
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Ok-not having Sky (yet)-doesn't Sky have A) more exclusive channels that aren't available on cable?, & B) more channels-period?

I know it's a fairly complex business working out which is better value for money, & I've read the PR blurb by both ntl & Sky, & I'm still none the wiser!

*Goes off to put thinking cap on*

[Edit]-Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you take the top ntl package of channels (called Family Pack with Sports & Movies), it works out to £47.50 (including your phone line)

If you have the equivalent package from Sky, (called Sky World & Family Pack), you pay £40 per month (without a phone line for which you need to add £9.50 or thereabouts)

So....

Sky dish & BT phone line=£4 9.50 per month for top package (number of channels to be confirmed-"over 101 channels" according to website http://www.sky.com/skycom/article/0,...ml?CMP=IL21287 )

Top ntl DTV pack= £47.50 inc phone line (number of channels to be confirmed-ntl's 'Family Pack + Sport & Movies pack' includes ALL the Family Pack channels plus 15 Sky premium channels and 4 Disney channels)

So how many channels in ntl's 'Family Pack'? (as their website is less than clear- http://www.ntlhome.com/ntl_tv/premium.html )

So my guess would be that the extra £2.00 per month for Sky takes into account their recent price rise, whereas ntl have yet to announce theirs, plus it looks like you get more channels for the same money anyway.

Worth bearing in mind is that with Sky you get full interactive services (if that interests you), whereas with ntl all the red button does for most people is freeze the STB!), & also the [u]choice[/i] of Sky + (which is the hard disk recorder service that looks very tasty), but with ntl there is no choice.

I have tried to be objective here, but can't help thinking that ntl offer the inferior service for you £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£-or am I wrong?
Old 09-02-2004, 14:15   #162
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Ok-not having Sky (yet)-doesn't Sky have A) more exclusive channels that aren't available on cable?, & B) more channels-period?

I know it's a fairly complex business working out which is better value for money, & I've read the PR blurb by both ntl & Sky, & I'm still none the wiser!

Yes on both counts Neil, but the only question regarding channels is which system has the channels that you want? Sky certainly has better interactive than NTL but the red spot can be a nuisance although you can get a red spot zapper to keep getting rid of it. The winner for me with Sky is SKY+ which definately alters the way that you watch TV and once sampled you wouldn't be without it. Yes, it does cost £200 to get it and have it installed (sometimes you may find special offers on this) but you don't get any video recorder for free and have to pay for other parts of your viewing such as the TV.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 14:15   #163
orangebird
Inactive

orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:

There's evem MORE shopping and travel channels on Sky.....
Old 09-02-2004, 14:19   #164
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
There's evem MORE shopping and travel channels on Sky.....
Like you need either.
Old 09-02-2004, 14:28   #165
orangebird
Inactive

Quote:
Like you need either.
True...