Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 19-12-2003, 11:49   #136
trebor
Inactive

Services: DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
trebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud of
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

just phoned NTL to cancel all the services (over £80 a month) and they didn't even ask why, let alone try to pursued us to stay. To me it just proves what a poor company they are. when they don't care why their customers are leaving how will they ever improve what they provide.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2003, 12:11   #137
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor
just phoned NTL to cancel all the services (over £80 a month) and they didn't even ask why, let alone try to pursued us to stay. To me it just proves what a poor company they are. when they don't care why their customers are leaving how will they ever improve what they provide.
That pretty much sums them up. If they really about where they were going wrong, the management would take active steps to find out why people are leaving-[Edit]but that would highlight all the crap management that they have, & show them up for the ar$e covering lamers they really are.

As it is, it's obvious they don't really give a to$$.

Merry Xmas ntl, another one bites the dust.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2003, 13:30   #138
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Neil

I have just got of the phone to Pipex.

You were spot on. I actualy spoke to someone who was polite and actualy knew what he was talking about.

I am going to go for the business 1000 service with a fixed IP

Just have to wait one more month for my broadband to expire then its bye bye NTL

Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2003, 14:01   #139
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Hi Neil

I have just got of the phone to Pipex.

You were spot on. I actualy spoke to someone who was polite and actualy knew what he was talking about.

I am going to go for the business 1000 service with a fixed IP

Just have to wait one more month for my broadband to expire then its bye bye NTL

Stuare-I never had any doubts that you would receive the sort of service you have described from Pipex.

You won't regret it.
Old 24-12-2003, 20:32   #140
dropoffpoint
Inactive

dropoffpoint is an unknown quantity at this point

Had tv,phone & broadband - eventually dropping one service at a time as I was fed up with the way certain problems I had were getting resolved i.e Customer service practically claiming I was making up the problems and doing nothing about them until I got help from both of the nthellworld site personnel. End of day:

Walked into dixons, got the freeserve connection box - 5 days later dsl was up and running - simple.

DSL actually seems more responsive when browsing - no time outs or intermittent delays retrieving web pages.

I exercised my consumer choices and walked.
dropoffpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2003, 23:48   #141
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

glad it worked out for you dropoffpoint the browser issues with ntl are their dns servers which they refuse to fix, It wouldnt surprise me that ntl rely on lack of adsl availability in certian areas and lack of knowledge from customers to provide them custom.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2003, 23:59   #142
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor
just phoned NTL to cancel all the services (over £80 a month) and they didn't even ask why, let alone try to pursued us to stay.
Give it a few days and you'll get a letter offering you free TV if you go back and take Talk24, and a few more days and you'll get a letter addressed to the occupier asking them to join Ntl because the previous occupier had it and cancelled recently.

What a joke Ntl are, they couldn't even get that right!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:38   #143
Mantrid
Inactive

Mantrid is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm considering cancelling my broadband service as I now have a BT line installed.

What will happen to my ntlworld.com e-mail address? Would I still get access to it if I connect through webmail?

Thanks
Mantrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:26   #144
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantrid
I'm considering cancelling my broadband service as I now have a BT line installed.[/b]
Good move-go for it.

Quote:
What will happen to my ntlworld.com e-mail address? Would I still get access to it if I connect through webmail?

Thanks
It will just cease to exist unless you convert to a 'Pay as you go' account, & keep it active that way.

HTH.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:59   #145
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantrid
I'm considering cancelling my broadband service as I now have a BT line installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Good move-go for it.
HOLD ON A SEC!

I wouldnt recommend cancelling your NTL account until you have placed your ADSL order and had it confirmed by a proper line test that the line is acceptable.

The broadband availability checker on the BT wont do an actual line test - so if your BT line isnt good enough to handle the ADSL signal you might get your ADSL order rejected.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 11:14   #146
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
HOLD ON A SEC!

I wouldnt recommend cancelling your NTL account until you have placed your ADSL order and had it confirmed by a proper line test that the line is acceptable.

The broadband availability checker on the BT wont do an actual line test - so if your BT line isnt good enough to handle the ADSL signal you might get your ADSL order rejected.
Good Piont etccarmageddon

Dont cancel your account until a line check has been done. !

Mind you if he rings NTL today I doubt they will cancel it until march

I bet the billing system will carry on working corectly though
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:34   #147
Mantrid
Inactive

Mantrid is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

No I won't cancel NTL until I have a new service running.

I'm confident I can get a service though as my BT engineer friend installed the line for me, did all the checks and a few other 'tweaks' so I get the best possible service.

If it takes three months to cancel NTL as suggested then I'll downgrade the service until it ends.
Mantrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:37   #148
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome

when you give NTL notice that you want to terminate your accounts if after the adsl survey (your not happy with the adsl speed offered) you can cancel the terminition and stay with NTL
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 14:33   #149
rodd
Permanently Banned

rodd will become famous soon enoughrodd will become famous soon enoughrodd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themelon
I dont think the majority of people are that stupid.......

I will always shop around for the best service, and I think the majority of Internet users are pretty clued up on finding what suits them at the best price.

At the end of the day ntl is still the cheapest braodband provider because you dont have to have a telephone line to get it.

IE.
Any ADSL Broadband requires a BT Line at £9.50 (However BT normally force you onto the £11.50 package *in theirs 'your' best interest!)

Then you will require the service provider at £18 +, so were talkin a minimum of 28 quid!

Britain is a cheapskate nation....will close all our factories down and import shoddy crap from abroad. Most people are attracted by cost.

Certain areas of the ntl network have big problems but others are working great.
NTL are not the best-value BB supplier.

Case example.
I have a ntl telephone line, analogue TV, internet, and BT unconnected line (from when I switched to ntl).

So, reconnecting to BT for free, and taking Plus.net £18.99, plus the modem costing £42, I get 500k download, 250k upload.

Staying with ntl, and taking ntl's 150k (172k actual) £17.99, I get 172k download. 64k upload.

So for £1 more (after initial £42 modem cost) from Plus.net, I get 2.9 times the download speed of ntl, 4 times the upload speed of ntl.

Plus.net is undoubtedly the better value-for-money in that price bracket, by about three times ntl.

Probably half of ntl are in a similar position to me. Roughly half have analogue, last I heard, and it's likely that most will have a BT line in place, ready for reconnection.

As customers become aware of the better ADSL value that can be had, you can see that ntl can potentially lose half of their customers.
rodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2004, 05:37   #150
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I would also agree ntl are not the best value for money, I think the majority of people will want a phone line in their homes anyway, so the anology it doesn't need a phone line would only fit a minority of people, my phone bill on BT was cheaper, ADSL is better value than cable and lastly I would rather have sky digi over ntl analogue any day, the only thing keeping me an ntl customer is my landlord, I think ntl are only keeping a lot of customers becase their cabling is more attractive than a sattelite dish.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote