Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Government & Post Election Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Government & Post Election Discussion
Closed Thread

Old 29-09-2017, 11:53   #481
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Warning:

Another post deleted, that was berating and provocative in tone.

It is a thinly veiled personal attack and I'm not having it.

The next person to berate and provoke or refer to another member, in the 3rd person, such as referring to them as, 'usual suspect', may face having their posting privileges revoked until further notice.

Nobody, is a 'usual suspect' on this forum. In a civil debate. What other people say, you refer to them by name.

In all honesty. The current tone in Current Affairs is toxic. Too much of a them vs. us situation. This has to end.
It would be nice if people on both sides could accept other peoples views without insults that is for sure.

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The Tories main selling point at the last election was vote for us because the alternative is worse; very much like some of the repeated boring posts here about nasty/cronies/hypocrites etc.... The negative narrative didn't work very well. They'd do well to reflect on that.

'Corbyn is nasty' isn't good enough any longer. They need to say something positive about how they are going to rescue the health service and make housing and higher education affordable and increase peoples standard of living, which is being eroded by inflation and stagnant wages. I suspect they can't because they don't intend to do any of these things, just pander to their narrow privileged base and try and scare everyone else. It isn't going to work forever, people are wising up, even if they don't care for Corbyn.
Its pretty clear that that nasty narrative failed at the last election and yet the Conservatives and their media friends still seem hell bent on continuing with the same negative nasty narratives.

People don't want false insincere promises anymore as they want things that are going to improve their own living standards and improve the NHS and the main public services.

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

Quote:
The Tories main selling point at the last election was vote for us because the alternative is worse; very much like some of the repeated boring posts here about nasty/cronies/hypocrites etc.... The negative narrative didn't work very well. They'd do well to reflect on that.

'Corbyn is nasty' isn't good enough any longer. They need to say something positive about how they are going to rescue the health service and make housing and higher education affordable and increase peoples standard of living, which is being eroded by inflation and stagnant wages. I suspect they can't because they don't intend to do any of these things, just pander to their narrow privileged base and try and scare everyone else. It isn't going to work forever, people are wising up, even if they don't care for Corbyn
l don't care much for Corbyn but l care even less for Theresa May and she has done diddly squat since she became PM to change that sentiment.
Old 29-09-2017, 12:21   #482
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I think people are wising up, that they've seen the absolutely dire situation in Venezuela and they do not want that under a Corbyn led government. He will not make Prime Minister.

If that was the only issue.

The main roles occupied by people who had sided with terrorists. Corbyn wanting to drink tea and have biscuits in Parliament with IRA people.

Abbott, who in the eighties, was literally egging on the IRA, that she more or less wanted the British defeated, but to quote her 'had a rather splendid Afro at the time' she no longer has the Afro, so no longer has these views.

The other issue I have, is that I consider some of her comments racist. She once tweeted along the lines of, "Whites like to play divide and rule, we should not play them at their own game.'

McDonnell, thought at one time, that the 'bombs and the bullets' from the IRA, should be honoured. He has since apologised for making such assertions, but he can be a nasty piece of work when he wants to be.

I cannot and will not ever get behind such repugnant and vile people and well, if Corbyn does make it to No. 10, I will be chanting "Not my Prime Minister" from the rooftops.
Old 29-09-2017, 12:30   #483
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I think people are wising up, that they've seen the absolutely dire situation in Venezuela and they do not want that under a Corbyn led government. He will not make Prime Minister.

The main roles occupied by people who had sided with terrorists. Corbyn wanting to drink tea and have biscuits in Parliament with IRA people.

Abbott, who in the eighties, was literally egging on the IRA, that she more or less wanted the British defeated, but to quote her 'had a rather splendid Afro at the time' she no longer has the Afro, so no longer has these views.

The other issue I have, is that I consider some of her comments racist. She once tweeted along the lines of, "Whites like to play divide and rule, we should not play them at their own game.'

McDonnell, thought at one time, that the 'bombs and the bullets' from the IRA, should be honoured. He has since apologised for making such assertions, but he can be a nasty piece of work when he wants to be.

I cannot and will not ever get behind such repugnant and vile people and well, if Corbyn does make it to No. 10, I will be chanting "Not my Prime Minister" from the rooftops.
Did McDonnell ever apologise for saying this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEuKBxdyy-Q

"Student's kicking the **** out of Millbank..." ..."The best of our movement..." What sort of person could say that and get away with it?

Thugs like him only apologise when they're forced into it. He's always been the same and is a very nasty piece of work just like many of those he associates with. We're not talking about a back bench nobody here we're talking about the Shadow Chancellor and potentially Deputy PM! To think these people have the front to call the Tories nasty...
Old 29-09-2017, 12:38   #484
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Still negative, negative, negative....

How about something positive on what a great job the Government are doing ? I'll wait
Old 29-09-2017, 13:27   #485
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Venezuela, here we come, then

I can't believe you'd want to inflict that on all of us and your family. It's time to behave more responsibility.

I didn't say anything about how I was going to vote? I pointed out that more and more people are tempted by Labour because the Tories are failing so hard. This is simple fact, and your opinion or mine is irrelevant.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
So if Corbyn hasn't got the solution for these problems why are people thinking about voting for his party and their totally unrealistic objectives and, frankly, lies?
It worked for Donald Trump. They are following that play book, right down to accusations of 'fake news' and denigrating unflattering media. They have weak opposition, they have a country fed up with the status quo, they have a country that is incredibly polarised, thanks among other things to Brexit, and has total disdain for expertise and fact-based arguments, thanks to the play book from the referendum. People have had enough of experts and all that.

Add to that the likelihood of a move from the Tories back to UKIP as reality continues to hit the May administration and they realise they can't deliver on the post-referendum propaganda and it's a nightmare in the making. Leave.EU's propaganda-stream has turned the diarrhea dial up to 11 after May's Florence speech, even though there was nothing especially controversial in it, and their acolytes are duly irate.

We are terrifyingly close to Jeremy Corbyn being in charge of the nation and the clueless ideologue McDonnell, a man who makes Corbyn look neo-liberal, in charge of the Treasury.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

Quote:

There is no indication that people are wising up to this, and certainly the UK would be unlikely to go the same way as Venezuela. This is the same kind of hyperbole as claiming the UK would go the same way as Greece if we didn't have copious amounts of austerity.

You dislike them for all of this you'd love their Brexit position: it seems to be along the lines of EEA/EFTA - the Norway option - with restrictions on freedom of movement using the existing provisions in the EEA treaty.

YouGov poll published 26th September:

Quote:
The latest YouGov poll for The Times showed Labour on 43%, up one point on a fortnight ago, and showed the Tories down by two points, on 39%. Support for the Liberal Democrats remained unchanged at 7%.
Old 29-09-2017, 14:21   #486
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

For goodness sake, more posts of where members are again, arguing and attacking each other. I have removed these posts.

Also, I did not ask for a long running list of what appears to be problematic posts to someone. Members should not be singling out anybody, publicly, for any reason.

This thread has a topic, it is not here to air a grievance against one or more individuals.

Despite not always agreeing with each other and I know a number of members disagree with me, these members know who they are, I still value ALL input, I would never add derogatory label and label them as a 'usual suspect' and do it, in a fashion that it really does not matter if that member sees it, I think it's ignorant and rude.

Nor would I take it upon myself to copy someone's signature, change a few words here and there, in a bid to then take a side swipe at this person, it's not really on to be doing this kind of thing. It's playground stuff.

Just so you know, the team are monitoring this situation in this sub-area. CF is not about stifling peoples views, but these attacks on each other, it cannot continue and I am not blaming just one side or that side, it is both sides that are doing it.

As for now we need to keep to thread topic please.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

There is no indication that people are wising up to this, and certainly the UK would be unlikely to go the same way as Venezuela. This is the same kind of hyperbole as claiming the UK would go the same way as Greece if we didn't have copious amounts of austerity.

You dislike them for all of this you'd love their Brexit position: it seems to be along the lines of EEA/EFTA - the Norway option - with restrictions on freedom of movement using the existing provisions in the EEA treaty.

YouGov poll published 26th September:
I struggle to trust any kind of polling, sorry but I do. I saw a Twitter Poll asking the question if people are ready to accept JC as PM, think it was 53% No. 47% Yes, with a sample size of around 6,700 which is probably bigger than the YouGov sample size.

But again, don't trust this either because it's twitter.

There has been more than a few examples of previous polling and them being widely off the mark.
Old 29-09-2017, 14:25   #487
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

I struggle to trust any kind of polling, sorry but I do. I saw a Twitter Poll asking the question if people are ready to accept JC as PM, think it was 53% No. 47% Yes, with a sample size of around 6,700 which is probably bigger than the YouGov sample size.

But again, don't trust this either because it's twitter.

There has been more than a few examples of previous polling and them being widely off the mark.
Look at the last election where many pollsters forecast a Conservative landslide and were well out come General Election night.
Old 29-09-2017, 14:34   #488
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

It's the only data we have. Have to regard it more highly than anyone's 'feels', especially when we all have our biases. I'd keep an eye on what the business community are doing, too. They are hedging their bets and working on ways to make peace with this new/old incarnation of Labour as there is a realistic prospect of them being in charge.
Old 29-09-2017, 14:42   #489
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Look at the last election where many pollsters forecast a Conservative landslide and were well out come General Election night.
I was gearing up for this too but I saw the mood was changing, it did not help though that the Tories led an absolutely dire campaign. I never want to hear the words Strong & S... again...

You saw me the day before the election on here, say I think it will be a hung parliament. I saw the mood change. I saw the same kind of 'movement' that Trump had in the U.S and what Corbyn gained in the last few weeks.

I read off all kinds of data. Likes on Youtube videos, followers on social media, Corbyn's campaign was a far better one than May's and his was a more positive campaign, this cannot be denied.
Old 29-09-2017, 21:00   #490
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I was gearing up for this too but I saw the mood was changing, it did not help though that the Tories led an absolutely dire campaign. I never want to hear the words Strong & S... again...

You saw me the day before the election on here, say I think it will be a hung parliament. I saw the mood change. I saw the same kind of 'movement' that Trump had in the U.S and what Corbyn gained in the last few weeks.

I read off all kinds of data. Likes on Youtube videos, followers on social media, Corbyn's campaign was a far better one than May's and his was a more positive campaign, this cannot be denied.
Easy when your election strategy is promising to deliver stuff you can't hope to in the real world and you don't really believe you have a cat's chance in hell of being elected and having to come up with the goods.

Last edited by Osem; 29-09-2017 at 21:05.
Old 29-09-2017, 21:11   #491
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Still negative, negative, negative....

How about something positive on what a great job the Government are doing ? I'll wait
Still waiting......
Old 29-09-2017, 22:24   #492
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Easy when your election strategy is promising to deliver stuff you can't hope to in the real world and you don't really believe you have a cat's chance in hell of being elected and having to come up with the goods.
But if you form an alliance with the DUP you can gain power but you then have to contend with delivering the undeliverable. As we May be finding out sooner or later.

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

Quote:
Still waiting......
The front page headline on the FT says "UK sinks to bottom of G7 growth table" and continues "Britain has fallen from the top to the bottom of the league of G7 leading economies in the year since the Brexit vote, with official data on Friday showing slower growth than previously thought."

Bearing in mind that the Conservatives pride themselves on their economic prowess, I'm not surprised that evidence of the Government doing a good job is hard to find.
Old 30-09-2017, 11:36   #493
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
It's the only data we have. Have to regard it more highly than anyone's 'feels', especially when we all have our biases. I'd keep an eye on what the business community are doing, too. They are hedging their bets and working on ways to make peace with this new/old incarnation of Labour as there is a realistic prospect of them being in charge.
This shows just how much the Conservatives were damaged by calling the general election which no one actually wanted.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/09...voters-future/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ge-reputation/
Old 30-09-2017, 11:50   #494
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Boris surely has to be fired soon: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/...onde-ambition/

From a Channel 4 Documentary.
Old 30-09-2017, 11:59   #495
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Boris surely has to be fired soon: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/...onde-ambition/

From a Channel 4 Documentary.
No surprise IMO as Boris has always had naked ambition but a party divided and at war with itself is generally deeply frowned upon by the British electorate.