Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Articles - The Cable Forum Knowledgebase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ubuntu usb hotplug question

Old 21-10-2006, 21:34   #1
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
ubuntu usb hotplug question

Old man says in the good 'ol day we had usb hotplug scripts....

Where the heck are they in ubuntu ?

I guess I have a lot to learn about the 2.6 kernel I saw something called udev - any tips or help ?

Basically I want disable the touchpad as soon as the usb mouse is attached

ie rmmod psmouse and modprobe psmouse : but which script if any do I hack ?
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2006, 21:39   #2
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age
Re: ubuntu usb hotplug question

It's all udev and HAL these days! What you want is a bit advanced though, and certainly beyond my Linux abilities. Maybe asking on a dedicated Ubuntu/Debian forum?
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 21:42   #3
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
It's all udev and HAL these days! What you want is a bit advanced though, and certainly beyond my Linux abilities. Maybe asking on a dedicated Ubuntu/Debian forum?
No worries I'll try g00glin for it again.

Cheers
Old 21-10-2006, 21:54   #4
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

This article - http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3635686 - has a section on writing udev rules... might be of some help to you..?

Part 2 of the series can be found here - http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3637076
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 22:06   #5
The Jackal
Inactive

Thanks guys....

Holy crap taking the usb subsystem to the kernel may have its advantages but the distros around are not making full usage out of it....

Found what I want here : Its a bit ott but hell a lot similar than messing with 2.4 modules.

http://www.wlug.org.nz/HotPlugNotes

-----------
old version
Sod it the time I'd waste on this I'll just do it manually