Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 26-05-2010, 14:01   #76
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Well, there are lots of other birds in the sky ... I guess you could be reading a good signal off one of those? The ultimate test is whether you get good pictures on the channels you want to watch.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2010, 20:38   #77
JimW
Inactive

JimW is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
The only dish elevation that works seems to be slightly negative i.e. it's pointing at the ground! Reflections? Or have I cocked up the assembly?

Although I'm pleased with the results so far, I can't help feeling my dish assembly has gone a bit wrong, even though it looks like the pictures. The dish instructions were OK, but I'm not completely sure about the LNB. Is it possible to get a satisfactory signal with a misaligned dish/LNB?
Got it on the wall now, with a larger offset mast. I left the elevation as it was on the ground. Actual measurement on the Elevation Bracket is 15 degrees on the A side (about 42 on the B), even though the mast is vertical and dish is pointing below the horizon. Signal still 57%-63% quality. This doesn't seem sensitive to minor adjustment of LNB skew.

I upgraded the software on the box and it seems to have sorted the many missing channels.
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 16:13   #78
malcosty
Inactive

Services: broadband
malcosty is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone im new to the forum and was wondering if anyone can help me, have just bought a grundig sat receiver with the freesat logo having tuned it in i have a signal strenght of 86 yet unable watch programs because theres no signal would the fact that i am useing a sat dish that the previous tenants left be the probs any info would be much appreciated
malcosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 16:19   #79
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

What sort of dish is it? If a small seethru sky dish then it should work (as long as the dish hasn't been knocked out of line) if another sort of dish then you might find that it's not even pointing towards Astra2 but more than likely Hotbird or Eurosat and/or might not have a universal LNB
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 16:28   #80
malcosty
Inactive

thanks for the reply, yes its a small see thru but you will have to excuse my stupidity whats lnb
Old 28-05-2010, 16:35   #81
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

LNB is the device on the dish arm that the cables plug into.. As it's a SKY dish the LNB should be of the correct type. Does the freesat box allow you to configure which LNB you are using? if so it should be set to universal.

Other than that unless you are 100% sure that the dish worked previously I'd suggest either a dish alignment, duff LNB or Co-axial (water damaged??) fault
Old 28-05-2010, 16:54   #82
D Irby
Inactive

D Irby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
There is a kit at B&Q on offer at £69. Is this the same kit as discussed in the previous comments.
D Irby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 17:01   #83
Kymmy
Inactive

The original kit was the SD system which was the original basis of this thread. Since then the thread has also incorporated posts about the HD system that B&Q also sell
Old 28-05-2010, 17:36   #84
malcosty
Inactive

having read other posts now know what LNB is looking at the condition of dish its not that old have done a bit of diy on the dish [smack it with a club] and got a signal for a few seconds will try to realign the dish and take it from there could you suggest a good meter and type or are they all standard thank you.
Old 28-05-2010, 18:33   #85
Kymmy
Inactive

Get an analogue meter with an audible signal. I got one from ebay for less than a tenner.
Old 28-05-2010, 23:49   #86
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

For anybody thinking of going down the HD free to air satellite route there's one available from Aldi from next Thursday 3rd June:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_14324.htm
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 13:34   #87
John Dough
Inactive

John Dough is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
For anybody thinking of going down the HD free to air satellite route there's one available from Aldi from next Thursday 3rd June:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_14324.htm
This appears to be a Skyline model which was sold in B&Q for SD ,strange that B&Q don't sell it.

Did we ever think you could get HD for that price!!! I think its time other makers like Technomate and Humax etc. started lowering theres as most of them are way overpriced.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Irby View Post
Hi
There is a kit at B&Q on offer at £69. Is this the same kit as discussed in the previous comments.
yes great value for a HD kit and if you are over 60 you get another 10% off with their diamond card !! even better.
John Dough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 21:14   #88
Video Kid
Inactive

Video Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a fair few snags with this B&Q Ross HD kit. What ever you do don't leave it recording from the USB port as the unit powers down every 3 hours. When utilising the Astra 1 satellites which have the european channels the reciever locks up whilst doing the scan for channels. When installing the system you notice that the signal level doesn't move from 99% just one of the many firmware errors encountered. This is the reason they are much cheaper than Technomate and Humax, there is no comparison.
Video Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 23:03   #89
DDTTAA
Inactive

DDTTAA is an unknown quantity at this point

This for me was a great way to get cheap hd for the world cup. plugged it into an existing sky dish, which unfortunately wasn't aligned correctly so it took about an hour making small adjustments but its all good at 63% quality.

Is it possible to get hd sound with this box? im running it through a sony ht-sf 1300 via hdmi but its only coming through standard 2 channel
DDTTAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00   #90
PedroKTFC
Inactive

PedroKTFC is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having trouble with my B&Q Ross HD system. I have set it up and am able to see quite a few channels but none on the Astra 2D satellite (that's the likes of BBC1, BBC2 etc so pretty essential!). I see zero quality for all the transponders on that satellite while I get up to about 63% on the transponders on some of the other Astra 2/Eurobird 1 transponders. I assume therefore that I'm pointing in at least roughly the right direction so I would have expected to see some sort of signal quality for Astra 2D but, as I said, I see absolutely zero!

Anyone got any ideas as to why?

[As I've just joined, a few comments on other posts which might help:
Signal Strength is a misnomer, it simply tells you if your box is communicating with the LNB.
Signal Quality is a measure of what is coming from the satellite, that's the one to concentrate on!
If you're getting zero quality, try different transponders and different satellites, you might find you're lined up wrongly. When I initially installed it, I couldn't get anything but zero. I eventually tried a scan and it finally found some quality some way through and some channels (all German as it happened, telling me I was pointing at the wrong satellite). At least that proved my system was working! I could then focus on a transponder that had some signal quality and move the dish to maximise it. (But none of the Astra 2D transponders have worked so far for me!)
You can change the switch off time from something other than 3 hours, it's in one of the configuration settings.]
PedroKTFC is offline   Reply With Quote