Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CCleaner browser your thoughts

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Freeview reception

Old 13-10-2020, 16:21   #1
Bernie 2
cf.member

Bernie 2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Freeview reception

I recently bought a new LED tv which I keep in the bedroom. I run it from exactly the same aerial socket as my main tv in the Lounge and notice I can get certain Freeview programs on my new tv but cannot get them on my Lounge tv, no-matter how many times I re-tune them. My lounge tv is an Hitachi - 37" LCD HD purchased in 2007 and my new one is a Panasonic - 24" LED HD purchased 2020.

Although my lounge tv is quite old, it is in perfect working order and I would have thought that programs to both tv's would be identical, seeing as they are connected to exactly the same aerial and are re-tuned regularly. Can someone explain this, please.
Bernie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2020, 17:07   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Freeview reception

Older DVB STBs and sets don't support DVB-T2. (HD multiplexes) The DVD/set combo in my kitchen although is "HD ready" doesn't tune these either.
Old 13-10-2020, 22:59   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

As heero-yuy says newer sets support the reception of other multiplexes. T2 multiplexes don't just carry HD channels, they can also carry Standard Definition channels but more modern technology means they take up less space and more can be fitted in. The T2 multiplexes in the UK carry a mixture of HD and SD content.

Also if you live in the reception area of a Local TV Channel you can receive there are extra Sony-owned channels and a shopping channel.

A breakdown of the multiplexes are here. http://www.xhxf.uk/timeshares/ It's mostly accurate, but doesn't have the shopping channel on the Local multiplex listed.

Also, not all TV tuners are the same sensitivity as each other so this could also be a factor in which multiplexes you are receiving, despite them sharing an aerial. Also, cabling can play a factor, length, quality of cable, shielding from nearby interference.

Heero-yuy, "HD Ready" just means the screen support high resolution inputs and can display them e.g. from an extra TV box or a games console, it doesn't mean it has an HD TV Tuner inside. The "HD Ready" branding was around before HD was broadcast on Freeview.

I wonder if the Mods could move this thread to the Freeview section, it's nothing to do with IT.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 10:50   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I bought a tiny Digital HD receiver-decoder from ASDA for an older HD TV. It does the trick for minimal outlay.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/m.../1000004043192
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 10:34   #5
mbrown

Services: BT Superfast Broadband

My problem with freeview is the programme guide as the vast majority of listings say "No information"
Old 17-10-2020, 10:48   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown View Post
My problem with freeview is the programme guide as the vast majority of listings say "No information"
Try retuneing the free veiw box.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 13:30   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown View Post
I've got a TV that does that for a quite a few channels, though in my case it can be intermittent. It's 10 years old the TV and SD only, so it's quite possible in my case, and maybe yours, it's because there's a lot more services to be listed on the Freeview programme guide these days, than there was back then, and it simply hasn't the memory capacity to cope. I get that impression with mine.

If you're TV allows you to manually delete channels, I suggest trying to delete all the TV and Radio stations that your household doesn't use, as this can help. I've used this with other Freeview devices successfully.

It's worth a retune like Ken W above says though.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote