Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 16:22   #13441
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpscott View Post
That is good news Alex, both about the exam and the registerd charity. If there is anyway that I can be of help please let me know.
The longer this goes on the more a long term solution is needed, not just for DPI but for many other Privacy Issues as well.
Well the plan was always to try and expand the focus onto other online privacy issues such as tracking cookies, adware etc. Initially we will continue to concentrate on Phorm and start to expand to cover other similar companies like NebuAd and Front Porch. Ideally we would like to spend some of our time lobbying and the big advantage of being a registered charity is that we will have the opportunity to fund raise more effectively which in turn will allow us to do more and more.

It is still in the preliminary stages as it takes a lot of work getting everything setup but I will be sure to keep everyone updated.

I am also planning to work closely with the Lib Dems after the summer recess; they will be doing a report on these issues and putting some long needed party focus on the entire debate.

Alexander Hanff
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2008, 16:27   #13442
Peter N

Congratulations Alex on your exams, the charitable status for Privacy Online and for your 1,000th post.

Old 07-08-2008, 16:30   #13443
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Well the plan was always to try and expand the focus onto other online privacy issues such as tracking cookies, adware etc. Initially we will continue to concentrate on Phorm and start to expand to cover other similar companies like NebuAd and Front Porch. Ideally we would like to spend some of our time lobbying and the big advantage of being a registered charity is that we will have the opportunity to fund raise more effectively which in turn will allow us to do more and more.

It is still in the preliminary stages as it takes a lot of work getting everything setup but I will be sure to keep everyone updated.

I am also planning to work closely with the Lib Dems after the summer recess; they will be doing a report on these issues and putting some long needed party focus on the entire debate.

Alexander Hanff
Good - I hope to see my LD MP at a surgery sometime over the summer, she is a signatory to EDM but I feel the LD's in the commons are not yet REphormed in the way that the peers in the Lords are.

Congrats on the exam and good to hear about the charity! Hope the documents were useful.

Don't forget to mention the BT situation as regards forums when you do your briefing. Not for discussion here (OT - Hello mods) but if you want more info PM me.
Old 07-08-2008, 17:38   #13444
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Why is it when bad news hits the airwaves from Phorm's point of view, the circular Phorm arguments appear, designed to dilute the discussion, from the pro Phorm PR?

Congratulations on the exam success Alex. Good luck with everything else also. You're doing a great Job all round!
Old 07-08-2008, 18:33   #13445
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Your sig would probably be classed as PII but I doubt very much that Phorm have implimented a "filter" for it. It would be impossible for Phorm to cover all the bases there are so many illnesses, disabilities, religions, sexual preferences, political preferences etc. etc. that it would literally be impossible to guarantee that no PII data would ever be picked up by the system.

(No offense by the way it was just a timely example to use; my missus is dyslexic to.)

Alexander Hanff
Hi Axle,

That's an interesting point. While I was preparing these notes it struck me, you could be at risk of identification from simple typos in data.

Even if you believe Phorm were capable of filtering out all PII (and it isn't, the anonymising process is a hoax).

It would be impossible to filter out typos. Which would worry me if I was dyslexic, and reliant on assurances from Kent Errtsadgs.

Peat.

------------
THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY AXLE PHORGE INC - MAKERS OF PHINE CAR AXLES, AND PATRICK'S PEAT - BEST FOR YOUR PHLOWERS, AND KENT TOURIST COUNCIL - COME AND PHIND THE BEACH PHRONT HOLIDAY YOU ALWAYS PHANCIED
Old 07-08-2008, 19:48   #13446
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
The ICO would see different. If the solicitors or brokers were LTD or LLP then the IP address assigned to the business would not be for a living individual and they would not investigate.

I would really like to see Struan Robertson's view on this
Solicitors are usually partnerships, not LLPs that means they are not really body corporates, just a group of people trading together.
Old 07-08-2008, 19:50   #13447
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Congrats on the Exam, Alex.
Old 07-08-2008, 20:08   #13448
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Hi Axle,

That's an interesting point. While I was preparing these notes it struck me, you could be at risk of identification from simple typos in data.

Even if you believe Phorm were capable of filtering out all PII (and it isn't, the anonymising process is a hoax).

It would be impossible to filter out typos. Which would worry me if I was dyslexic, and reliant on assurances from Kent Errtsadgs.

Peat.

------------
THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY AXLE PHORGE INC - MAKERS OF PHINE CAR AXLES, AND PATRICK'S PEAT - BEST FOR YOUR PHLOWERS, AND KENT TOURIST COUNCIL - COME AND PHIND THE BEACH PHRONT HOLIDAY YOU ALWAYS PHANCIED

So basically i am at mroe risk of getting ads or worse getting tracked?

oh i really need ot update that signature a bit
Old 07-08-2008, 20:56   #13449
D_Advocate
cf.member

D_Advocate is on a distinguished roadD_Advocate is on a distinguished road

It appears that there was a brief (about an hour), but major outage at the Kingston exchange (kt1 - RAS?) during the last 24 hours ...

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/history/304.htm

(thanks to Don on bt.broadband.support).

Of course this could just be a coincidence, and of course I'm not making any assumptions, but ..

D_A
Old 07-08-2008, 21:02   #13450
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

You have an extra http// in your link (the second one)
Old 07-08-2008, 21:05   #13451
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Fixed.
Old 07-08-2008, 21:07   #13452
D_Advocate
cf.member

D_Advocate is on a distinguished roadD_Advocate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadire View Post
You have an extra http// in your link (the second one)
Oops - thanks for pointing that out

Now corrected - thanks Rob.

D_A
Old 07-08-2008, 21:17   #13453
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Advocate View Post
It appears that there was a brief (about an hour), but major outage at the Kingston exchange (kt1 - RAS?) during the last 24 hours ...

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/history/304.htm

(thanks to Don on bt.broadband.support).

Of course this could just be a coincidence, and of course I'm not making any assumptions, but ..

D_A
I'll keep that in mind, just like the other info & weigh up the balance of probabilities as I go along.
Old 07-08-2008, 21:20   #13454
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

(Quick note to everyone else - I passed my exam )
Well done, Alex.

Look forward to hearing more about Privacy Online; sounds interesting.

OB
Old 07-08-2008, 21:24   #13455
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Solicitors are usually partnerships, not LLPs that means they are not really body corporates, just a group of people trading together.
Same with vets in practice - they have to form partnerships not "companies", and partners in law are individuals, jointly and severally liable for one anothers personal actions and even debts - which would give the ICO something to think about.

Just another example of something that due diligence would have thought through when they sought, er... obtain... legal opin... er um advice. You would have thought.
Closed Thread