Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2008, 01:32   #13891
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
Can someone let us know when the Webwise leaflet is updated for the new address?
Just back from holiday. I'll update Inphormationdesk over the next few days and include a page giving links to the latest versions of the flyer and factsheet. In the mean time here are the links to the flyer mentioning the EU intervention and giving the new 10 Downing Street petition url.

Black for printing 2-up landscape 2-sided on A4 paper and then guillotining into two A5 flyers (probably the most useful format):
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer_2A5.pdf

Black for printing 2-sided on A5 paper:
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer_A5.pdf

Original navy A4 with optional House of Commons and BT addresses on the back:
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer.pdf

Special edition for MPs, navy A4 :
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer_MP.pdf
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2008, 01:41   #13892
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

So the breaking news that UK.gov misses deadline on EU Phorm probe makes it into the Netherlands Telecom Paper (subscription only).

The story is propagating around the net but no sign of it in our tabloid websites yet.

Note this extract from the EU letter:
Quote:
Second, as regards the issues arising with regard to the planned future deployment of the Phorm technology, there appears to be a certain discrepancy between how it is envisaged by the ICO, the ISPs and Phorm itself. One of the most significant issues in this regard is the way in which customers will express their consent to the application of Phorm technology in their case. While the ICO seems to suggest that the consent of users for the Phorm technology should be on an opt-in basis and also BT seems to confirm this approach, Phorm has indicated that it intends to tackle user consent through providing 'transparent meaningful user notice'.
Amazing that Phorm (as at 7th August 2008) still insist that users will be allowed to opt-out rather than be asked to opt-in....
Quote:
However, a company official stated that the company [Phorm] is in continuous dialogue with the ICO to dispel any sort of privacy fears, and it would also allow the users to ‘opt out’ from monitoring.
Above extract from this news article
Old 13-08-2008, 07:32   #13893
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post

Note this extract from the EU letter: Amazing that Phorm (as at 7th August 2008) still insist that users will be allowed to opt-out rather than be asked to opt-in....

Above extract from this news article
This mirrors the USA NebuAd story - when the NebuAd guy was in front of the Congress committee he consistently dodged the questions about opt-in/opt-out and was recognised to be doing so. Their excuse was that customers had a robust transparent notification - although in fact that wasn't really true, and for many ISP's there was no real notification at all. (That was transparent in the BT/Phorm meaning of the word- the notification was so transparent, no one could see it)

Then ISP's commercially can't afford to let go on that one. And they won't unless they are clearly told they have to make the default sitatuation that customers are not opted-in unless they choose actively to do so.

Comparing our situation with the States - we have the laws that apparently make it mandatory to ASK customers to opt-in themselves, whereas they have a Congress that is vigorously flexing it's muscles, but don't yet have the laws to get what they want. We have a government that seems to wish we DIDN'T have the laws and is trying NOT to enforce them.
Old 13-08-2008, 07:47   #13894
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
However, a company official stated that the company [Phorm] is in continuous dialogue with the ICO to dispel any sort of privacy fears, and it would also allow the users to ‘opt out’ from monitoring.
I think that's a cue for another FOI request.
Old 13-08-2008, 08:22   #13895
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
You know what struck me on the way home?

Perhaps the reason BERR can't respond, the Police, the Home Office, the Cabinet Office, and all the other agencies involved aren't responding...

Is the Government is already facing legal action by the European Commission?

If it were true, perhaps it might also explain the 'emergency cabinet' called for September in the midlands?

Just guesswork of course.
Funniest post on the thread ! As if Gordon is more worried about Phorm than the collapsing economy !!!
Thanks for that - peed myself !
Old 13-08-2008, 08:32   #13896
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

To any new viewers of this forum, check out the interesting developments mentioned on el reg yesterday.

EC interesting letter about Phorm and the Government (see page 2 also)
Old 13-08-2008, 08:53   #13897
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough

Right today can we leave the hamster alone please?
While that lot was going on yesterday i was out talking to local businesses. What's more important toying with the brain dead or getting the job done?
Flo get back here now!
If this offends some sorry but I'm narked

Phil
Old 13-08-2008, 09:08   #13898
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Smile Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
While that lot was going on yesterday i was out talking to local businesses. What's more important toying with the brain dead or getting the job done?
Flo get back here now!

Phil
I need to get another bulk pack of stamps. Makro do them at £20 for 60 first class, 10% less than the Post Office counter.
Old 13-08-2008, 09:21   #13899
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:

Flo get back here now!

Phil
Do you really want to drive respected posters away, the dialogue tells others just as much about the objections to Phorm/Webwise as the Technical details & processes.

If a question needs answering in respect to Phorm, I will answer it whilst attempting to keep the thread dilution down to a minimum!
Old 13-08-2008, 09:28   #13900
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
A few things that strike me in the light of the letter.

Wasn't it only a few days ago that BT confirmed that the trials would go ahead soon? With that letter in the background?

Surely BT must have known about the letter at the AGM when it was stated that the trials would begin in a couple of weeks.

It's very unlikely that they didn't know about the letter, but if they didn't, the bunker will be in a tizz tonight.

I wonder who leaked it. I doubt it was HMG. Maybe a miffed EU commission, fed up with being ignored? Just like we have been fobbed off.

Can you imagine the buck passing in Whitehall that must have been going on?

In all of this, involving HMG, BT and Phorm, it's the latter who is the tiddler, the one likely to be lined up by the other two to carry the can somehow. But then Kent has a big gob. Maybe he knows things that would be acutely embarrassing to HMG and BT.

I think that mainstream media coverage is not far off. Bags of it.
i get the feeling it's like a game of pass the parcel and everyone hoping the music keeps playing while they hold the issue until they can pass it to someone else
Old 13-08-2008, 09:31   #13901
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them

Any photogenic or camera unshy people willing to try this (from the BBC):

"In May Mr Brown launched an online version of prime minister's questions.

He pledged to respond to video-clip questions submitted via the Downing Street Youtube website."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7556955.stm (last 2 paras)
Old 13-08-2008, 09:46   #13902
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
What gate they going to call it?
BT Spy-gate
Phorm-gate
<deleted>

Edit Rob: Mind the language, even if it is starred out
Old 13-08-2008, 10:45   #13903
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

hi to the 41 guests lurking on the side, please come in and join the discussion

we do not bite,

at least let us know your view on the proposed BT webwise system and phorm, be it good or bad or a non event as far as you are concerned so we can gauge how people perceive the issue

peter
Old 13-08-2008, 11:11   #13904
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Flo get back here now!

Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection
Do you really want to drive respected posters away, the dialogue tells others just as much about the objections to Phorm/Webwise as the Technical details & processes.
I know what you're saying philj but given HW's replies I have to agree with SelfProtection.
Every time HW and other pro-phormers post it shows the pro phorm lobby for what it is: Totally devoid of any answers and comprised entirely of PhormPR cut & paste quotes.
It gives visitors a perspective on Phorms (non) arguments and furthers our campaign a tiny bit every time they post.
As long as it does not detract from the main thrust (as it did yesterday) I see no problem with giving them more rope to hang themselves with.
Dave

PS This thread will definitely be a poorer place without Flo
Come on Flo. Keep posting....You know you want to
Old 13-08-2008, 11:23   #13905
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner69 View Post
Every time HW and other pro-phormers post it shows the pro phorm lobby for what it is: Totally devoid of any answers and comprised entirely of PhormPR cut & paste quotes.

Would you care to back that wild accusation up ?
I've answered anything you've all asked me to the best of my abilities.
Closed Thread