Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Disconnecting laptops

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Disconnecting laptops

Old 12-03-2008, 18:08   #1
Gizmo1888
Inactive

Gizmo1888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Disconnecting laptops

I have two laptops, one which is connected through the ethernet on my WRT54GS wireless router, the other is connected wireless.....

When I boot up the wired laptop while the wireless one is connected to the network the wireless lappy loses its connection and the wired one doesn't connect. I then have to power off the Virgin BB Modem and the router, leave them for a few seconds.....power up the modem till the ready light is solid then power up the router...... this process allows both laptops to connect.

Any ideas?

I have read while the wireless laptop is connected to the network it has been issued an IP address and when I boot up the wired laptop the router may be giving the same IP to the wired one which isn't allowed. I'm unsure if this is the case or how to check if thats whats happening.
Gizmo1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2008, 18:50   #2
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing
Re: Disconnecting laptops

To rule out IP allocation you could give each laptop a fixed IP address instead of letting the router assign them.
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 19:42   #3
Gizmo1888
Inactive

Gizmo1888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDearing View Post
To rule out IP allocation you could give each laptop a fixed IP address instead of letting the router assign them.
I don't know how to do this.....

Also, would setting static IP's to each laptop affect wireless ability if I were to try and connect to a hotspot elsewhere, say in a Net Cafe
Gizmo1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 11:31   #4
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

Setting static IPs would affect connections elsewhere but for testing purposes it would at least rule out the router's DHCP assignment.

To change the laptops from DHCP to static you need to (assuming XP):
  1. Go into Control Panel, Network Connections and right-click the icon for the wireless connection.
  2. When the properties box opens, select TCP/IP and click Properties.
  3. Change the first radio button from "Assign an address" to "Specify an Address" and enter the IP that the laptop has been getting from the router.
  4. Enter a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (assuming the IP address is 192.168.something) and enter the router's address as the gateway.
  5. Change DNS from automatic to specify and enter the router's address as the first or primary DNS server. Click OK until it's all saved and applied.
You should then be able to type the router's IP address in a web browser and see the router's home page. If so, then try some web addresses.
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 11:45   #5
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDearing View Post
[*]Change the first radio button from "Assign an address" to "Specify an Address" and enter the IP that the laptop has been getting from the router.
It might be interesting to know what that IP has been up to now. That could indicate if the DHCP server is even running.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote