Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Snow !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Snow !

Old 30-01-2019, 10:08   #2851
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Snow !

Same here. Was worrying a little because not only did our local train company warn of possible problems, but the company where I work warned of possible problems. Although in fairness, I live in Greater London, but the train company has it's depot near Dartford, and the company where I work has offices down in Chatham, and both Dartford and Chatham can get hit with very heavy snow.

That said, I think we have become a little more wary of the dangers of Snow and Ice. I remember as a kid having to walk to school in a good couple of feet of snow. Hell, we even had to play Rugby (wearing our kit, but no underwear apart from socks and no other clothing) in the snow. Boy, was that fun.

Last edited by Stuart; 30-01-2019 at 10:12.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2019, 10:32   #2852
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Only half an inch at home, but it’s lying on untreated roads that were already freezing. There are a few steep gradients on my way out that were pretty hair raising this morning ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 17:10   #2853
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Snowing heavily outside now as it looks like we might get a fair bit in the coming hours as it has hit Cornwall badly in the last few hours and is moving into Devon now.
Old 31-01-2019, 17:14   #2854
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Dry and calm until we got back from Cardiff city centre, then a little light rain that turned into sleep.

Our first snow of the year now!! But the ground is too wet for it to settle.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 17:25   #2855
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Dry and calm until we got back from Cardiff city centre, then a little light rain that turned into sleep.

Our first snow of the year now!! But the ground is too wet for it to settle.
Our ground was wet earlier after some heavy rain and the falling snow is very much laying outside our place now Taf.
Old 31-01-2019, 17:38   #2856
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Hasn't quite reached us yet but it's only +2C outside so I think we'll also get snow when it arrives.
Old 31-01-2019, 17:45   #2857
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Hasn't quite reached us yet but it's only +2C outside so I think we'll also get snow when it arrives.
Seeing you are about 40 miles from where my parents live l would say you are likely to get it around 21.00 onwards Heero.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2633521
Old 31-01-2019, 20:04   #2858
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I live in the Weald, Kent and work near Brands Hatch. We had 1 inch of snow yesterday and I am not looking forward going to work tomorrow. No snow at the moment it is due at around 10 pm.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 21:30   #2859
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Snowing heavily outside now as it looks like we might get a fair bit in the coming hours as it has hit Cornwall badly in the last few hours and is moving into Devon now.
Indeed Den.

4 1/2 hours for me to drive from Looe to Lostwithiel this afternoon.

My son is currently stuck on the A30 near Okehampton on his way home from Cosford. He's been stationary for 4 hours.
Old 31-01-2019, 21:42   #2860
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Indeed Den.

My son is currently stuck on the A30 near Okehampton on his way home from Cosford. He's been stationary for 4 hours.
That does not surprise me as the local TV news had near wall to wall coverage of the chaos.

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Indeed Den.

My son is currently stuck on the A30 near Okehampton on his way home from Cosford. He's been stationary for 4 hours. :(
Yes l have heard through several sources that the traffic had come to a standstill Julian there and in other blackspots.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:14   #2861
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

A blanket of snow here in the Thames Valley this morning. Rather more than I expected!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:07   #2862
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

We've got a light covering, about 1/2", mostly came down around 8pm last night. Pretty rather than disruptive.

I see in the news that the A30 over Bodmin moor is blocked and people are taking refuge at the Jamacia Inn. (Bolventor). I know from driving that route regularly that it is high and exposed there with several steep hills.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:22   #2863
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
We've got a light covering, about 1/2", mostly came down around 8pm last night. Pretty rather than disruptive.

I see in the news that the A30 over Bodmin moor is blocked and people are taking refuge at the Jamacia Inn. (Bolventor). I know from driving that route regularly that it is high and exposed there with several steep hills.
The thing is with Bodmin and the other moors is when it gets bad it gets bad very quickly and that catches drivers out especially on the steep hills as Haldon Hills is another blackspot on the A38..
Old 01-02-2019, 09:27   #2864
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Yesterday the schools told us and the children that it may be closed tomorrow (now today) and would email parents by 0710 if closed.

No email - school open.

Daughter decides that she doesn't exist so doesn't need to go to school and she is now too big to "carry".

I don't think schools should let their pupils know of a possible closure so there is no disappointment when it doesn't happen. It is also then a nice surprise when they are told in the morning they don't need to get up.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:27   #2865
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Has there been a cm of snow down South ? Declare a national emergency immediately !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote