Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SH3 conundrum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

SH3 conundrum

Old 12-10-2018, 00:31   #16
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice
Re: SH3 conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
"with self install vm often send reconditioned routers, whereas the engineers are more likely to have a new device"[/I]
As with previous modems/hubs over the years, my new kit had brand-new equipment (Hubs/modems/v6 etc.) - But second-hand power adapters (seems the wrong way round, huh?)

I received a SuperHub 2 with a chewed up (literally) AC cable once - Kinda shabby!

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2018, 09:26   #17
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Ben actually there r 2 models, Black and White lol.

I know they are identical internally but externally they are not.
Everyone has got a black Hub 3 for years.

If I remember correctly, the white Hub 3 was only around for about six months or so after it launched.

But even if you have a white Hub 3 it wouldn't be replaced by a black Hub 3 unless it was faulty, so there should never be a case where a bundle upgrade replaces one Hub 3 with another Hub 3.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:43   #18
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
Completely agree! Installed and tested mine out today...
A bit for you, should it help JPAC;

*Local LAN latency IS NOW FIXED, so that's a biggie.
*The GUI is perfectly usable and a world apart from the old release. That was like moving through treacle.
*Passwords still in plain text and require daft characters.
*2.4>5GHz passover is still flawed, but tbh that's no huge problem anyways.
*Port forwarding used to be a pain and not work - Yet to test this and I'll edit when I do.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my new one is of a differing hardware release, as the build quality and is totally different.

>In short and for normal usage purposes I would go for it.
It now passes my seal of approval. It certainly didn't before.

Only thing I'd love, is the ability to use custom DNS - But completely understandable why it isn't.

Tom
I have a white Hub3 with Green LEDs from the trial and it is hardware version 10.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:58   #19
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Everyone has got a black Hub 3 for years.

If I remember correctly, the white Hub 3 was only around for about six months or so after it launched.

But even if you have a white Hub 3 it wouldn't be replaced by a black Hub 3 unless it was faulty, so there should never be a case where a bundle upgrade replaces one Hub 3 with another Hub 3.
I received a white hub 3 days ago for a self install as I've just returned to VM.
None of the LED's work on it but the hub works so I'm not bothered.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:13   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Honestly, that's the first white Hub 3 I've seen mentioned as being sent out for ages.

With the Hub 3 then only the base light remains on, but they should all light up at some point during startup.

If none of the lights are working then I'm not sure it should have been sent out to you. Even where kit is reused it should go through a full check to ensure that it's working 'as new'.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:43   #21
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

The base light is on and the green LED's did light up briefly when first plugged in.
As I said it works so doesn't worry me.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:50   #22
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Ah ok - that's all working then.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52   #23
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The base light is on and the green LED's did light up briefly when first plugged in.
As I said it works so doesn't worry me.

Yes the lights work as intended, personally a white Hub blends in better with my walls.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:17   #24
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Ben, about this cost free Mighty Hub 3, every time I try the links I get these error messages. Is this because I'm on a retention deal or do they just never work? See screenshots. Screenhots not working, png, gif and jpg?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mighty hub 3.JPG (12.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg oh-crikey.jpg (58.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg oops.jpg (64.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg no-extra-cost.jpg (99.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by JPAC; 12-10-2018 at 11:48. Reason: Screenshots problem
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:30   #25
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Yes there does seem to be some restrictions as when you can use the online order process.

I honestly don't know the rules behind it and which bundles or discounts cause the restriction.

Have you tried calling in about it and saying it doesn't work in the Connect app?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:37   #26
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Thanks for reply Ben. Yes I have called in but VM said to make the changes online where it will be a no cost option, if they do it it will be £25. So... the links don't work..., catch 22.

btw, the new VM connect app needs a mighty hub 3 to set up the app in the phone, otherwise manual settings are needed and nobody knows the settings.
Attached Images
File Type: png Virgin Media Wi-Fi settings.png (124.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by JPAC; 12-10-2018 at 12:41. Reason: Wi-Fi setting
Old 12-10-2018, 13:24   #27
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

No it doesn't need a Hub 3.

On Android there is a WiFi manager which runs in the background and connects you to the hotspots when you're in range and the signal is good enough.

Because of that it doesn't add the hotspots as saved profiles.

So as long as the 'Virgin Media WiFi hotspots account status' in Settings says you're set up, then should connect to them.

Last edited by BenMcr; 12-10-2018 at 13:39.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 13:37   #28
JPAC
cf.addict

Nice theory, doesn't work in practice. The phone will not connect to a VM wifi, it demands you configure the settings and no-one know those, hence won't connect and my posts.
Old 12-10-2018, 13:42   #29
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

When does it prompt? The screenshot looks like when you manually select the SSID, which won't work with the way the Connect app manages the WiFi.

Also on Android you need to ensure that the Connect app is running in the background. This happens by default after setup, but if you change it so it can't run in the background then you won't connect to the hotspots.

And just for clarity, on iOS the Connect app will still install a wireless profile due to the way iOS works.
Old 12-10-2018, 13:51   #30
JPAC
cf.addict

I've reverted to the old VM wifi app now that works, so from memory, when it hasn't 'stopped', in order to connect to an external VM SH, you select Virgin Media from the available SSID and then prompts to set up the configuration - unknown settings to me.
Android only here. Moto X4 Oreo 8

Last edited by JPAC; 12-10-2018 at 14:21.