Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 15-10-2018, 00:52   #1891
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Please don't hang your hat on semantics when you know exactly what I mean. It's a metaphor for their rigid interpretation of the 4 freedoms. You've heard of metaphor, haven't you?

Jeez - you are being awkward just when I'm trying to close the gap between us.
So those 4 things they said were non-negotiable at the beginning of the talks are still non-negotiable?

Quelle surprise...

And we’ve been so flexible...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2018, 01:36   #1892
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It all depends on what deal is negotiated. If a product has been certified by British certification firm with a CE mark it becomes invalid in the event of no deal as the certification firm is in a third country and can't be overseen by EU bodies. There could be a deal to avoid this but some things are hard to avoid if you're not in a single market. Trade deals commonly require the product you're exporting to have a certain level of local content. This makes sense, otherwise a developed company could do something like add a steering wheel to a Chinese made car and claim it's local.
For EU-made products, the local content can be from anywhere in the UK including the UK. When we leave the EU, our products won't be part of that percentage. Therefore, EU manufacturers may have to substitute British-made parts for EU-made parts to access trade deals.
So how do non-EU countries deal with CE certification? The manufacturers are the ones that state whether it is CE certified or not. There are cases currently where products are imported that are not safe. Just goes to show it's a bogus issue on the part of the EU. In theory a German firm can manufacture items which don't meet EU regulations, as long as they don't sell them in the EEA. In theory somebody in Ireland will be able to go to NI, and buy an item that is not CE certified, but is ok for sale in the UK, if the UK changes any rules. No different to the current EU setup. Somebody could travel to the US and bring back a non-CE certified product, all legal and above board. As far as the EU should be concerned, there should be no issues with this, until and if the UK changes any product rules. Chances are any UK rules will be broadly similar or above and beyond any EU rules. Little point in a manufacturer making a product that is ok to sell the UK, but not in the EU.

If anything we are the ones with potential to complain if we have higher product standards, but have to allow lower standard EU products to be sold here.
Old 15-10-2018, 09:30   #1893
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So how do non-EU countries deal with CE certification? The manufacturers are the ones that state whether it is CE certified or not. There are cases currently where products are imported that are not safe. Just goes to show it's a bogus issue on the part of the EU. In theory a German firm can manufacture items which don't meet EU regulations, as long as they don't sell them in the EEA. In theory somebody in Ireland will be able to go to NI, and buy an item that is not CE certified, but is ok for sale in the UK, if the UK changes any rules. No different to the current EU setup. Somebody could travel to the US and bring back a non-CE certified product, all legal and above board. As far as the EU should be concerned, there should be no issues with this, until and if the UK changes any product rules. Chances are any UK rules will be broadly similar or above and beyond any EU rules. Little point in a manufacturer making a product that is ok to sell the UK, but not in the EU.

If anything we are the ones with potential to complain if we have higher product standards, but have to allow lower standard EU products to be sold here.
Here's an article on what might happen on the subject of CE marking port Brexit - https://machinerysafety101.com/2018/...presentatives/

Basically, some directives require the 'Authorised Representative' who assures and issues the CE marking to be based in the EU. Post Brexit, it may be the case that the UK based Authorised Representatives are no longer authorised so CE marking issued by these people may no longer be valid. There's no trust in regulated environments, it's all 'prove it' and show how you proved it robustly. It's these horrible regulatory things that keep me in a job (though in medicines rather than CE marking)

You are right that the UK may well keep standards at or above the requirements of the EU directives. There is a great deal of working internationally to try and harmonise standards as the cost of different standards is significant for manufacturers. The International Council for Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Pharmaceuticals for Human Use (ICH)is a good example of this, bringing together Europe, the US and Japan initially with many other joining.

However, the alignment of standards is political as well as technical. It's part of the reason TTIP stalled.

Products are certainly made in the EU without CE marking for export markets. These products are considered to not be 'placed on the market' in the EU. There are some differences between UL certified machinery and CE marked items for example. I have had customers try and buy UL certified machinery for export to the US and we are simply unable to sell them in the EU as they are not items 'placed on the market' and therefore illegal to sell.
Old 15-10-2018, 13:17   #1894
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

BREAKING: Prime Minister Theresa May to give Statement to MPs in the House of Commons later this afternoon, after Brexit talks break down in Brussels yesterday. (It's an unusual move - she always gives a Statement after an EU Summit, not before one).
Old 15-10-2018, 14:00   #1895
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Probably just another 'tough talk' to show the EU we mean business rather than an election, resignation or whatever.
Old 15-10-2018, 14:14   #1896
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Probably just another 'tough talk' to show the EU we mean business rather than an election, resignation or whatever.
Or giving away N Ireland the Hebrides and Lands end.
Old 15-10-2018, 18:25   #1897
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

A lot of hyperbole. Let the politicians play. Just watch with amusement. Don't forget to look surprised when, after everyone thought everything was lost, an incredible deal is announced.
Old 15-10-2018, 18:40   #1898
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I wish I had the maney to take out a gagging order baning NS from mentioning staying in a customs union or words to that effect.

Leaving the EU means leaving that.

It matters not that the Scots voted to stay, the majority voted leave.

I didn't vote Tory in the General Election, so can I demand another vote?

But beacuse of Brexit I doubt I'd vote Labour while JC is in power.

Tories are also doubtful due to my local Tories stance on same sex relationships, as you may know my niece cam out last year and I couldn't look her in the face after voting for him.
Old 15-10-2018, 18:44   #1899
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
A lot of hyperbole. Let the politicians play. Just watch with amusement. Don't forget to look surprised when, after everyone thought everything was lost, an incredible deal is announced.
can you see it getting passed parliament OB I cant see how any deal can and DUP want cliff edge no deal now and parliament wont vote for that either
Old 15-10-2018, 19:00   #1900
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

This is of course the ‘easiest deal in history’ so at least it’s good practice for the tougher ones down the line after we have left.
Old 15-10-2018, 19:08   #1901
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I wish I had the maney to take out a gagging order baning NS from mentioning staying in a customs union or words to that effect.

Leaving the EU means leaving that.

It matters not that the Scots voted to stay, the majority voted leave.

I didn't vote Tory in the General Election, so can I demand another vote?

But beacuse of Brexit I doubt I'd vote Labour while JC is in power.

Tories are also doubtful due to my local Tories stance on same sex relationships, as you may know my niece cam out last year and I couldn't look her in the face after voting for him.

You may get one in the very near future but definitely by 2022.
Old 15-10-2018, 22:55   #1902
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
This is of course the ‘easiest deal in history’ so at least it’s good practice for the tougher ones down the line after we have left.
Ha ha. I think we have all read some other myths too:
"They need us more than we need them."
"The Irish border problem is a myth dreamt up by remainers"
"The motorway works on the M26/official government documents are just Project Fear"
"We're going to replicate the 40 EU free trade agreements that exist before we leave the European Union so we've got no disruption of trade"
Old 15-10-2018, 23:41   #1903
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

No deal Brexit 'more likely than ever before' says European Council president Donald Tusk

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3962561.html
Old 16-10-2018, 00:24   #1904
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
In the context of Brexit, what would an incredible deal constitute?
Old 16-10-2018, 09:36   #1905
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Ha ha. I think we have all read some other myths too:

"We're going to replicate the 40 EU free trade agreements that exist before we leave the European Union so we've got no disruption of trade"
I saw an interesting graphic from the FT showing 759 international agreements globally between the EU and third countries. Mindblowing.

Pasting the links from Google which hopefully should work;

https://www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-...4-9023f8c0fd2e
https://ig.ft.com/brexit-treaty-database
Closed Thread